Show Us Your Setup

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by BlastM, Apr 20, 2007.

1. nudge

nudge Member

My current setup, just for fun:
    MacBook Pro 15" (Mid-2010, Core i7, 8GB RAM)
    Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 (Firewire audio i/o interface)
    Samson MediaOne 3a monitors... seem to do the trick

Effects:
    Line6 DL4 Delay Modeler
    Eventide Space

Instruments:
    Akai MPK mini MIDI Controller
    Squier Stratocaster (not pictured)
    Burns B3 Deluxe Theremin

[​IMG]
    Click to view full-sized image!
    Hosted by UGBox Image Store

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DJ Fusion

DJ Fusion Member

I'd also like to be at that level! :p

I'm barely scratching the surface of most of the kit I've got. In fact, if anything Kore and the LiquidMix are making me lazy - lets say I want an organ sound, I just open the Kore browser, type 'organ' and start previewing all the search results, when I hear the sound I'm after I just drag it in. The thing is, I don't know where that organ sound came from - it could have been a VSTi like Massive, or a Reaktor patch like Prism, or it could have come from a Kontakt library like Scarbee - I'm focusing more on the sound I need instead of where it it's coming from. Once I've got my organ sound, I'll fire up LiquidMix, open a full snapshot preset for a vintage organ and it matches a compressor and an EQ to the sounds.

Lately I've made some awesome parts where I don't even know what synth, compressor and EQ are on the track! :lol:

3. osmodiar

osmodiar Member

Nice setups. I can see your point with the lazyness.. but if it gives you a good result and keeps your workflow going then it's not all bad. Probably worth digging back through some of the chains later if you like the way something sounds just to learn what is actually being done.

The liquidmix sounds pretty handy then.. had any bugs or problems with it?

4. DJ Fusion

DJ Fusion Member

That's exactly it man, I'm all about the workflow these days and it's finally starting to come together.

No issues with the LiquidMix so far - I had some initial hardware issues because I bought a Firewire card that didn't want to play nicely, but I ordered the right one and now it's gravy. In fact I already had some decent VST compressors and EQ's, including the Nomad Factory Pulsetec EQs and their MLC-2269 compressor, but I was surprised at how much better the LiquidMix sounds compared to its software counterparts, it's one of my favourite bits of kit. It was cheap too, they're about $500 in stores these days and my mate paid about $1300 for his a couple of years ago.

5. Willybomb

Willybomb Member

The problems come later on when you have a huge HD crash/meltdown and have to re-install everything, just to find you've missed something or used some obsure plugin..

6. DJ Fusion

DJ Fusion Member

No, so long as I still have my .als files I'll still have pointers to any VSTs that were used in the song, regardless of whether the VST is installed or not. The big problem would be if all the patches in my Tetra were reset to factory, now THAT would screw me over.

7. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Click to view full size!

My problem is I get to a point making something then hit a creative/ability limit and can stall for a long time.

:(

Fusion, you got a link to any of your stuff?

8. DJ Fusion

DJ Fusion Member

9. osmodiar

osmodiar Member

Yeah as fusion said in the worst case scenario once you rebuild and reload your project it will complain bitterly about all the plugins and samples that are missing so you can go about fixing them one by one.. but fuck that.

I'm going to take an image of the entire system/production drive shortly so that in such circumstances I can atleast restore to a point where everything is already setup and registered.. I would really hate to have to start all over again installing all the plugins and trying to recreate the exact directory structure of my sample folder :wired:

10. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

I had to re-install all my vsts recently.

Ordeal tbh.

11. DJ Fusion

DJ Fusion Member

Most of my VSTs are bundled so I find it pretty easy to reinstall.

Paid:

Ableton Suite
    Komplete 7 (bundle)
    Kore 2 (bundle)
    Nomad Factory Producer Pack (bundle)
    Liquid Mix
    Addictive Drums
    PSP Nitro

Free:

DBGlitch
    Kjaerhus Classic Limiter

And I think that'd be my entire software library reinstalled.

I still plan to buy CamelSpace one day too, I love that plugin.

12. Willybomb

Willybomb Member

I've got a shiteload of stuff on there that never gets used - one and a half million freebies, some acquired through alternate means, some very legit too.

Lately I'm finding that the ones bundled with Reaper do a pretty adequate job for my ability level. Can't polish a turd.

But as a general rule:

Reaper (and associated plugs)
    Jamstix2 with SSDex.
    Ozone
    Simulanalog
    Acmebargig and LePoulin amp sims.
    IR plug for cab impulses.
    Kjaerhus gets a look in. I have heaps more plugs but I get by easily enough with what I have.