Shrimp's eye points way to better DVDs

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by josh81, Oct 27, 2009.

1. josh81

josh81 Member

Not sure whether this belongs in Storage & Backup, or Audio Visual. Move if needs be:-

Shrimp's eye points way to better DVDs

The amazing eyes of a giant shrimp living on Australia's Great Barrier Reef could hold the key to developing a new type of super high-quality DVD player, British scientists said on Sunday.

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/158977,shrimps-eye-points-way-to-better-dvds.aspx

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. hdkhang

hdkhang Member

We had one of them in our marine tank (back when we still had a marine setup).

Totally by accident though, must've been hiding in one of the corals/live rocks that my brother bought.

A documentary I watched a while back on evolution pondered the question of "had we been descended from the same evolutionary line as the mantis shrimp... what would be like?" in reference to it's ability to see in 12 primary colours.

3. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

wait, DVD? whats that?

and many animals/insects/etc have way better vision than visible light.

4. DraGoN-BoY

DraGoN-BoY Member

high quality dvd?
    blu ray?

5. chokeeweebee

chokeeweebee Member

blu-ray gets more data by making the pits smaller which is why it needs a blue-purplish laser, it has a small enough wavelength to read such pits. but imagine if they do get to implement these 12 colors as part of the way it computers read data off discs, not only can they still store data in pits and lands they could also store more data by zoning these pits and lands in different colors.

6. gmturner

gmturner Member

didnt read the article but you are all wrong if you think insects have better vision then a mantis shrimp. Farely sure they can see in UV and whatever colours they please(think they can like scan different colours one by one) and also can percieve depth(ie 3d).. from what i remember. in other words they are fucken immense little creatures.

7. da_jimsta

da_jimsta Member

I use my 3D vision everyday :p
    Sweet looking shrimp, the possibilities of using a multicolour laser would pretty huge if they can get a system that works.