1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Shuttle XPC + External GPU issues...

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by MikeCheck, Jun 2, 2010.

1. MikeCheck

MikeCheck Member

Hey guys!

Ok so I have this Shuttle XPC lying around (SB835G for reference) and wanted to turn it into a good system for my parents.

At the moment it works great; has a decently speedy Prescott CPU in it @ 3.6ghz with HT which creams their current system. However at the moment I'm running of the IGP which isn't amazing for anything really.'

Now I have a spare 8600GT lying around which requires no external power or anything so I thought to myself: "hey, lets put the two together, make a nice, small reasonably performance pc and give it to them and become the favourite son."

BUT!

CRISIS!

When I install the 8600 and go to turn it on; ALL fans go full throttle (cpu, NB and the 8600's) but nothing happens.

No POST

No display on anything.

HDD still spins up and I can feel it seeking. The DVD drive gets power and everything but everything just sits there going like the clappers with nothing getting outputted anywhere.

I am at a loss!

Could it be the 8600 is too powerful for the 250w psu? I've never maxed out a PSU before so I'm not entirely sure what the procedure is...

Thanks in advance guys!

M.

2. daffy

daffy Member

Have a look in the BIOS and see if there's an option for picking the primary video source ie: on board or add in card.

3. wryun

wryun Member

Do your parents really need anything more than an IGP?

4. Narcoticx2

Narcoticx2 Member

yeah, sounds like you're adding an extra fan for no apparent reason... make it really noticeable and give them an extra LCD :)

5. OP
    OP
    MikeCheck

MikeCheck Member

Yeah I tried this; still no dice.

When I run it WITHOUT the 8600 at startup the cpu fan runs nowhere near as fast as it does with 8600 in it.

Also I am no longer thinking it's a power problem as I pulled out the DVD drive and replaced the hdd with a 2.5" and it still had the problem...

Do you think a BIOS update would help maybe?

M

P.S. Yes; my parents do need more than an IGP ^^