1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Shuttle XPC owners club

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by Evil ZeR0, Jan 6, 2006.

1. nooobs

nooobs Member

I have an SP35P2 Pro - way too much noise - i have it as the HTPC - the sound of it is audible over noisy primetime news/ad breaks -

normally people get annoyed with a htpc if it can be heard over the silent scenes of a movie

2. Reaper_1994

Reaper_1994 Member

Just ordered a SG41J4 and expecting it to be here by monday next week. Plus I got a free SN41G (from scrad) a couple of weeks ago :thumbup:

3. Utetopia

Utetopia Member

Still got my SN25P completely gutted indecisively um contemplating a replacement PSU. It's been out of action for probably 3 years now. Fking overpriced Shuttle PSUs! :mad:

/endwhinge

used to have a Reflexion 61G2R for P4. Beautiful box marred by an horrendous stock PSU.

How do the new ones fare for noise/reliability?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  4. shift6

shift6 Member

To be honest I think the Shuttle XPCs are losing relevancy.

For an HTPC/SFF PC there numerous cheaper and arguably better options

For streaming content from a network source - there are significantly cheaper products like the WDTV series, Boxee Box, Xstreamer and some TVs even have in built digital media hubs.

Shuttles have limited storage and capacity to upgrade HDDs - so combing a high powered xpc with a network storage device can be somewhat pointless if you don't need the power.

Mini-ITX cases are becoming incredibly more widespread and give customisability for parts, PSU, and most importantly storage. You can still whack in some expensive hardware if you want a powerful SFF PC but without the pains of proprietary motherboards. I remember replacing the Shuttle PSU fans with Mini Kaze Ultras because stock were simply too loud.

Mini-ITXs have gotten Shuttle XPCs beat imo.

5. nooobs

nooobs Member

Definately agree

6. Sumomaniac

Sumomaniac Member

I have replaced 1 in my sn25p 1.5 years ago, up for number 2 now.... and I doubt its going to get one.

7. Utetopia

Utetopia Member

Is the current faulty PSU a 250W Silenx or did u replace it with another original?

8. Sumomaniac

Sumomaniac Member

Original mate.

didnt know there was an aftermarket.

9. Reaper_1994

Reaper_1994 Member

Have you thought of modding it to allow a bigger (ie ATX sized) PSU???

I am thinking about doing that to mine when I get it or just mod a 120mm fan in the top. I'm going to have a look around to see if I can get another cover before I go ripping into it though...

Just a quick random search on techbuy shows this:

Zippy 500W Slim PSU

search list of other smallish PSU's

10. thebranded

thebranded Member

well i can be added to teh Shuttle Club :D

Have two SS56G (P4 era) one works, ones got a dead mb.

Has anyone changed the flext ATX mb for a mITX?

11. Reaper_1994

Reaper_1994 Member

Bumpity for the club :thumbup:

12. PsychoticOrc

PsychoticOrc Member

I just picked up an x58 shuttle and was wondering if anyone here has tried putting in an aftermarket cpu cooler? I’ve got a 980x coming soon in the post and I’m worried the stock cooler won’t cope.

13. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Seen a few photos around of 92mm AIO's inside those pc's. SOme guy did a full custom loop, so it can be done!

I looked into those x58 shuttles. Shame xeon compatibility wasnt better.

[​IMG]

14. PsychoticOrc

PsychoticOrc Member

Wow that looks amazing, I brought a aio water cooler but sadly it seems the board doesn’t have the standard mounting holes so I can’t use it :( that said the stock cooler seems to be doing a really good job of cooling the i7 980 I have in there.

On a side note does anyone know of a reason why it would fail to boot up after changing bios settings? I can reset to default and enable achi but the moment I do anything to do with the cpu/memory it fails to boot, that includes changing the fan speed

15. argent

argent Member

I don't think there were standard mounting holes in Shuttles until the Sandy Bridge series came along. Then the cases were mITX compatible as well.