Si "SteelVine" port multipliers

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by yanman, Aug 27, 2008.

1. yanman

yanman Member

Tom's review of EP45-DQ6
    Can someone confirm that this comment in the Tom's review of the Gigabyte EP45-DQ6 is correct? I was under the impression that SATA port-multipliers still allowed the connected drives to show up separately albeit sharing bandwidth.

2. saba

saba Evil Vizier

3. Zedd02

Zedd02 Member

4. OP
    OP
    yanman

yanman Member

That diagram shows the 5723 as offering "single-drive support & cascading"

hmm the manufacturer's site product page actually lists it under Bridges not Port Multipliers.. odd. But yeh, seems clearly for making 1 logical drive :/ bah! Why wouldn't Gigabyte put port-multipliers on instead of this? It says it's meant for DVR's etc so that people can say plug in 1 eSATA drive, and add another one later and it'll retain the same logical drive, just add the space (or mirror it)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  5. jboles

jboles Member

It technically isn't a port multiplier, as port multipliers allow all the drives to be separately addressed as individual units. The sii5723 presents its drives (either in raid0 or 1) to the outside world as a single volume, which I guess is why the various motherboard manufacturers (incorrectly) call it a "hardware raid".

6. issa2006

issa2006 Member

yep (90mb/sec per port)

7. Jazz

Jazz Member

Somewhere...er in the intel forum, there is a major bitch from an owner of the the gigabyte board about how difficult the controller is, and how the setup has changed with gigabyte updating the online manual when they made changes to the controller...and didnt bother updating the marketing blurb.

8. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

Yep, and it sucks balls.
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=709909

In CMOS, you get something like this:
    [​IMG]

Channels 0-3 are six SATA ports on the ICH10 controller.
    Channel 4 are the two PATA ports.
    Channel 5 are the four SATA ports on the Sil5723 controllers. They pair up drives in RAID1 only. You can run two non-RAID drives off them with a bit of fiddling, but they won't show up here.

9. issa2006

issa2006 Member

their in no problem their - thats standard for most boards...

when you put the
    (each controller in raid , it disapears from bios and goes to bbs bios screen etc...)

10. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

There is no RAID configuration screen. Is that what you meant?

11. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Member

I'm guessing you mean MB (not bits) per second, otherwise the would be one damned slow drive.

12. issa2006

issa2006 Member

yes (its after you boot up (main bios screen- turn of your logo boot up)

2nb bios are added when system boots from the first, usually they will tell you when, and what key to get into the 2nb bios

say for example intel raid (once turn on via main bios) a 2nd bios apears after bootup in sequence.

etc.

my setup goes

main bios boot up
    sil 3132 bios
    jmb 363
    hp raid card
    intel raid..

then boots from my hdds.

if fount the pci-e x1 card (sil 3132) each port (their are 2 of them) does max 90mb/sec (180 total out of the pci-ex1) port.

see as a example some test that i did (x4 v raptors in raid 0 thread), i even hook them up to a external pm box (4 hdd) to see if they would work and max speed)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  13. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

On the EP45-DS5 and EP45-DQ6, there are no RAID configuration options for the Sil5723 controllers. It used to be CTRL-G while booting up, but Gigabyte removed this several BIOS revisions ago. You can't even select the stripe size anymore. The Intel ICH10 RAID BIOS appears unaffected.

Going back to Yanman's original question, I think the Steelvines are normally capable of more but have been nerfed by Gigabyte on that motherboard. The first manual revision doesn't show any configuration limitations (using a very early BIOS revision). I think they made a design mistake with their layout or selection of controllers.
    According to the block diagram, they've connected the two Sil5723's to a Jmicron363 controller, along with the PATA connector. But the Jmicron363 clearly only supports 2 SATA ports and 1 PATA port. In order for it to work, they've had to force pairs of SATA devices to show up as single drives.

14. MetalPhreak

MetalPhreak Member

Aren't these the same chips as in the dual-disk external cases. Most of them let you choose raid0 (or maybe simply joining the two sizes), raid1, and a mixture with 33% or 50% raid1 and the rest raid0.

In either case, they emulate a single sata disk. Which is why they must be connected to a sata controller.