Sichuan Braised Eggplant

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by blankpaper, Jun 4, 2020.

1. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

Simple side dish, goes well with white rice. Some friends have asked for the recipe recently so I thought I'd post it here since I had it written up.

Ingredients:
    - oil (I use peanut oil but almost anything is fine, except olive oil)
    - 2 long purple chinese eggplant, about 500g total
    - 3-4 cloves garlic, roughly diced
    - a thumb of ginger, roughly diced
    - 1.5 tablespoons doubanjiang (chili bean sauce) (see note #3)
    - optional: 3 thai chilis sliced
    - spring onion or coriander to garnish, sliced or roughly chopped, whatever you prefer

Method:
    - rolling-cut the eggplant and set aside. I cut mine a bit bigger than a golf ball
    - in a wok (or similar) heat up oil to frying temperature. tip: put a wooden chopstick or bamboo skewer in and if it bubbles smoothly it's ready
    - add in eggplant in batches, fry for 60 seconds, then set aside in a strainer to drip off excess oil
    - empty wok/pot, and heat it back up on medium-high heat, wait for it to get up to temperature
    - add back in 1tbsp oil, wait 30 seconds to heat up the oil
    - add in ginger and garlic, stir fry for 1-2min
    - add in doubanjiang (and optional thai chilis), stir fry for 2min
    - add in eggplant, stir through to combine for 1-2min
    - serve on a dish, add garnish

Extra Info:
    - if you don't want to fry the eggplant beforehand, you can blanch it or steam it to an 80-90% cooked state, and set aside in a strainer to drip excess water
    - if you have sichuan green peppercorn powder, sprinkle that over the top before garnishing for some numbing spice sensation
    - easily available doubanjiang in western supermarkets is the Lee Kum Kee brand (labelled Chili Bean Sauce / Toban Djan in English). Pic here https://usa.lkk.com/en/products/chili-bean-sauce . If you have access to a Chinese supermarket have a browse for a Pixian variety of doubanjiang, it's the overall best standard
    - for allergy related concerns (and understanding differences in doubanjiang if you're really interested) the wikipedia is a good place to start https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doubanjiang
    Yeah I know it's not a real braise recipe but it's my modification of. I get better texture this way I feel than braising from raw. Braising from raw can give you other options though, like adding mushroom stock for extra umami. It's a pretty flexible recipe depending on cooking style or preferences.

Sorry the pic isn't all in focus, my phone has a 'food' setting and I was playing with it :)

Click to view full size!

sammy_b0i and Deftone2k like this.
  2. Gen007

Gen007 Member

Thanks for sharing. I will try this out