1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

sick of this

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by alchemy, Jun 22, 2001.

1. alchemy

alchemy Guest

my computer is giving me the shits, i'm ready to sell the goddam thing and buy a hp that comes in a box with a tech support number. at least it should bloody work. any suggestions greatly appreciated..

problem? it wont run 3dmark 2001 (wont even load 3dmark2001), and halflife crashes. i have installed 3dmark2001 numerous times fresh-off-the-web, and it is always the same problem. halflife also refuses to run, citing a bad surface extents error each time. i've reinstalled halflife numerous times off the original cd.

is anyone able to suggest what the issue may be?

specs:-
    duron 750mhz processor (@ 750mhz, 1.6V)
    alpha pal6035 hs/f unit w/ystech fan
    128mb kingmax pc150 v1.0 sdram, cl=3, 133mhz
    asus a7v133 motherboard, bios 1005a
    ibm 20.5gb 7,200rpm hard drive sec master on promise
    ibm 40.5gb 5,400rpm hard drive prim master on promise
    pioneer 105s 16x slot-load atapi dvdrom prim master on 686b
    ricoh rw7060a cd-r ide sec master on 686b
    hercules 3d prophet II mx w/tv-out not o/c-ed
    mitsubishi 1772if 17" monitor 0.26dp
    smc 1270d nic w/wol
    macase k10 sunrise midtower case w/300w psu
    microsoft usb intellimouse w/intellieye
    microsoft internet pro keyboard w/usb hub

the 40gb hard drive is a new addition, ive previously had the same problems when the 20.5gb was the only drive.

this is neglecting my sound card issues, which i also can't pinpoint.

system temps are currently 28deg case, 43deg not under load. bear in mind it's an a7v133 and idles at full load temperatures.

operating system is microsoft windows 2000, sp2 with dx8a.
    running whql det 7.58, via 4in1 4.31

all bios settings are set to default, and have not been tweaked.

i got frustrated with it today, convinced it was the video card. went down to umart, purchased a hercules 4000xt, a hercules kryo1-based agp card. installed the 7.26 reference drivers, this has not helped the issue at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2001
  2. OP
    OP
    Chris Nolan

Chris Nolan Guest

You may already have done this, so feel free to ignore my help.

I'm assuming you have the nVidia card in the machine (since I know nothing about the other one. I assume you have the latest official BIOS. Take out everything except the AGP adapter

Go into the BIOS and (1) disable caching of all memory areas (2) disable AGP 4X and Sidebanding (3) Set AGP Aperture to 64MB (4) disable Assign Interrupt for USB, disable COM1/COM2/LPT, also disable the FDD controller if you don't need it (5) Enable Plug and Play.

Do a fresh install of Windows 2000 to newly formatted partition. Install SP2. Do not install any of the VIA drivers, not even AGP. Install your favourite nVidia reference driver. Install DX 8.0A dowloaded from Microsoft (not from anywhere else). Using Sandra make sure the AGP is at 2X and Sidebanding is disabled.

Install 3DMark2000 and its update. If this runs to completion exit and check with Sandra that the AGP is still 2X and sidebanding disabled. Uninstall 3DMark2000 and install 3DMark2001. Start the benchmark but escape out immediately. Without exiting 3DMark check with Sandra that AGP is still 2X and Sidebanding is still disabled. If they are then run the benchmark again hopefully to completion. If the benchmark fails with the error then again check with Sandra.

This is all I can think of ATM.

3. OP
    OP
    alchemy

alchemy Guest

chris,

please excuse my delay in replying.. i wanted to try it before i replied. got time to do it today.

i did as you suggested and disabled all caching, agp gofast bits, set the apt to 64 and disabled all the com/lpt/fdd controllers as well as enabling p+p (which wasnt enabled)

i did a fresh install of win2k+sp2+dx8a on a freshly fdisked+formatted fat32 partition. i installed sandra and halflife only, and proceeded to test what you suggested. the settings stayed at agp 2x (i tried 2x as well) and sidebanding off. halflife still crashed. i tried 3dmark2k1 and had the same problems as well.

i also found that windows performance of the video card was pretty lax without the 4in1's, so i installed the 4.32's and it went back up. didnt make any 3d applications work tho.

there is a kb article on ms technet for win2k about problems similar to these, and it suggests you change a registry setting. that also didnt work.

sorry to sound depressing, but i'm very annoyed. all i can possibly think it is now is an agp hardware issue.

4. OP
    OP
    Chris Nolan

Chris Nolan Guest

alchemy, sorry for not replying sooner, I've not been well.

There are only a couple more things that I can think of to try.

First, staying with AGP 2X mode, try changing VIO in small increments from 3.15 volts, up to say 3.45

Secondly, and more risky, try changing AGP Driving Strength to E7 (If you get no video signal on boot you may need to use a PCI VGA adapter to set AGP Driving Strength back to default. Make sure the BIOS is set to attempt to boot to a PCI VGA adapter first.)

Thirdly, try forcing AGP 1X. If none of this works then I think you're right - the motherboard and graphics adapter are hardware incompatible.

5. OP
    OP
    alchemy

alchemy Guest

chris,

i returned the motherboard today and got a brand new.

exact same issues.

this is with a new hard drive and a new video card and a new sound card.

is it possible that a dud psu could be causing these problems? or dud ram?

i sure as hell hope so

6. OP
    OP
    Chris Nolan

Chris Nolan Guest

alchemy, its hard to know just what is going wrong. I would not have thought the current draw of a GeForce2 MX adapter would cause problems on a modern motherboard, even with TVOUT.

I did go searching for you and found a few (10-15) newsgroup posts where your problem was reported, but no-one had an answer besides assuming it was caused by a faulty Windows or nVidia driver or Half-life/Q3A/UT (its been reported for all three games) install. I only searched for your particular motherboard, not the graphics adapter. In all the cases no solution was found and the reinstall-from-scratch method didn't help. I also looked at the GeForce FAQ where this problem was mention, and again the only solution offered was to re-install.

One thing I haven't suggested yet is using the drivers from Hercules/Guillemot. It may be that they tune the reference drivers for their own cards; who know?

I don't think it is likely to be SDRAM, but that is easy to check with memory exercisers. I'd of thought the 300W MaCase P/S was strong enough, especially if you only connected the bare minimum of components.

To be honest, I just don't know what is causing your problem.

7. Sniper

Sniper Member

re problems

Alchemy have you enabled the memory hole function in the bios
    I have a KA7 which had similar problems
    which I fixed by doing the above
    Surprising I know
    but it did work and that is the main thing!

8. ArakniD

ArakniD Member

i use to get the same problem =)
    their is an issue between AMD and via and win2k =)

on the amd site their is a fix for this, some bug with AGP or something! bah, search and find it =)

i use tog et random weird crashes in T2, CS and sutff, now i dont

9. JimX

JimX Goldmember

For anyone too lazy to search for the registry fix for AGP, here it is:

If that doesn't work, you can try the MS AGP driver, which is slower than the Via 4in1 version but more stable. And I'm too lazy to find the URL for you :)

10. KngtRider

KngtRider Member

I would try a non kingmax stick of ram , other than that i can see no other components that would have issues.

I know a few people with pc150 1.0 and abit/asus with issues

11. dicey

dicey Member

Sounds like the SDRAM. Try other stick of RAM. If it doesn't work. It could be the AGP port.

12. glynade

glynade Member

This may be obvious to a AMD owner but, DO NOT install the VIA agp drivers in the 4in1 package, these cause mucho problemo in the AMD systems I've known. other than that, could be RAM, test a friends stick, don't think PSU could cause this problem though. Try some other program, Quake 3 or something, benchmarking programs can be fairly picky, and, in my experience, Half-Life occaisionally enters what I call "spontaneous not working and behaving like a bitch mode".

If all else fails, the old, swapping bits into friends computer to find dud part may be necessary...otherwise check for BIOS updates for your board..?

13. ProteuS

ProteuS Member

make sure the reg patch is in,

check your power supply with the asus MB utility and watch for voltage spikes, I just repaired 2 machines for a mate and both were intermitantly crashing, whenever any intensive app started.

After using all the patches and tweaks I know as a last resort I replaced the power supply with my spare aopen 300watt and no more crashes.

Either my mate is the unluckiest bastard on earth or there are a lot of crap powersupplies around.

Cheers.

Ps I cant see the name of your sound card its not an Sblive is it?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2001
  14. KngtRider

KngtRider Member

>>This may be obvious to a AMD owner but, DO NOT install the >?>>VIA agp drivers in the 4in1 package

uh-huh thats good advice, tell that to the millions around the world who have the VIA GART Installed.

I know that Matrox and Nvidia OEM manufs tech support insist that you have the particular GART for your mobo installed

MS released a via filter agp driver for win2k re amd but this has been inlc part of later service packs and newer via 4in1 drivers

>>Half-Life occaisionally enters what I call "spontaneous not working and behaving like a bitch mode".

Half-Life works fine for the rest of us

>>check your power supply with the asus MB utility and watch for voltage spikes

ASUS pcprobe is renowned for voltage spikes

>>Either my mate is the unluckiest bastard on earth or there are a lot of crap powersupplies around.

my old case (same brand/psu brand as my new one, diff model) started rebooting during 3dmark2k, took a while for this to start occuring. The replacement case has no probs

>>Ps I cant see the name of your sound card its not an Sblive is it?

Alch has a mx300 btw , but as he said in his post he hasnt specifiyed it cause of its own set of probs (he doesnt have it installed i think, was helping him the other day re another set of probs

15. Rmack

Rmack Member

That happens when you run DxDiag?

I had problems and found I had crushed the core.

16. aloysius

aloysius Member

>>check your power supply with the asus MB utility and watch for voltage spikes

Yep Asus MB Utility is renowned for general crapness... :p

17. edd91

edd91 Member

alch,
    i think the via chipset is clashing with ur card when it goes into an OpenGL environment, disabling 4x shoulda worked, try updating drivers?

18. alchemy

alchemy Member

thanks for all suggestions people.. unfortunatley i've tried most of them before, just forgot to mention them.. see below.

=> i've tried disabling agp 4x, i've tried disabling agp 2x, i've tried disabling sidebanding and fast writes. no help.

=> i havent yet checked for voltage spikes, will do that now - any suggestions on how?

=> i've tried NOT using the 4in1 drivers and found the system to react with general crapiness and STILL have the same issues. 4in1's makes 2d work better, and the 3d work the same.

=> ive used that reg patch from the mswin2k kb

=> sound card is a diamond mx300.. its not in atm because it causes a whole heap of other issues by itself. i've also tried a sblive, didnt help.

=> the keyboard + mouse are both ps/2 - i've had previous issues with usb ones on a different mobo.

=> i havn't tried a new psu yet, or new ram. they're both on the list.

=> the motherboard is brand spanking new.

=> i havnt tried enabling the memory hole. also added to the list, thanks :)

=> dxdiag works fine

=> i thought it may of been the promise ata/100/raid controller. i just tried running the hdd with a different ide cable from the 686b. didnt help. unless all my ide cables are toast that is.

=> about to run ibm drive fitness test on the hard drive.

i'll be extremely interested to find out what the heck this is. the system has worked fine up until one weekend when i went home and left mp3's playing. came back and they where crackling. i think before that halflife was giving me bad surface extent errors as well. just every now and then, not EVERY SINGLE TIME as it does at the moment. bear in mind i'm using a new hard drive/operating system/half-life cd/hl install. hmmm.

finally, thanks all for their suggestions.. every little bit helps. :))))

19. ArakniD

ArakniD Member

was trying the amd win2k fix in there as well? =)

20. alchemy

alchemy Member

i'm running win me at the moment because the win2k install was giving me "issues" - said it had trouble copying certain files to the hard drive. this was off a cd (several cds, in fact) that had worked flawlessly before. maybe there is something wrong with the hard drive, the ibm dft should pick that up - it's next on the list.

i just searched around the a7v133 bios for a memory hole setting - i think it's only in the abit bioses, as i couldnt find anything about it.

just on the bios as well.. i'm running 1004 which isnt the latest (1005a is), but the latest one has all sorts of issues that i'd like to steer clear of. i have previously tried bioses 1002, 1003, 1002a, 1004a, 1005 and 1005a. heh. so been there done that.