Sigma 18-50 f2.8 Vs Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 Vs Sigma 20 f.18

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by locopano, Apr 19, 2005.

1. locopano

locopano Member

Since my deal with a HK seller fell through on the Sigma 20mm f1.8 i have been unfortunatly given time to consider more options. I dont think any of you have this yet but if you have any specific lens/test links (rather than just pointing me to fred miranda etc) then that would be good. I remember someone (OLI??) mentioning he was set on the Sigma 18-50, + i'm sure others have had a look or are just quiet? Any info?

I just found sellers have reduced their prices on the Sigma 18-50 so its more attractive now!

I using this while away and my kit is either

Sigma 20mm f1.8 ($470)
    Tamron 28-75 f2.8 (already have)

OR

Sigma 18-50 f2.8 ($670) maybe as low as $640
    Canon 50 f1.8 (already have)

Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 ($650) with possibility of $40 rebate in USD
    Canon 50 f1.8

So for $200 extra or less im not sure what to do?

Anyways point of the post was to see if you have any data on these lenses (beyond the obvious fredmiranda etc type stuff)

Cheers

2. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

I just got the Sigma yesterday. It seems quite well built, and quite sharp wide open for a zoom (on par with the 70-200 EX), but have not had a chance to shoot with it much, so might report again later. But I can state now that it is definately not as sharp at 2.8 as either my 50 or my 77.

3. Osiris

Osiris Member

If you already have a tamron 28-75 then it seems that the prime would be the way to go... you don't really need overlapping zooms unless you either don't like changing lenses while walking around or you use <28mm more than you realised when you got the 28-75.

.:Osiris:.

4. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

I would think that the range of the 18-50 would be more usefull then the 28-75. I have a 28-70, and I found it to be not such a usefull round the city lens when I tried it for a day.

one thing you must watch out for is that the Sigma needs thin filters. I tried a normal Hoya UV filter on it, and it vignettes at 18mm.

Oh and I forgot to mention that it has really close minimum focusing distance, which can help if you are trying to do some wide angle distortion shots at 18mm.

Ok I decided to take a few minutes and do a two of my standered test shots. All are stright from camera full frame, except last one which had a little levels.

18mm Wide open shot: Here

50mm Wide Open Shot: Here

Close fucusing shot at 50mm wide open (I was about 5-10 cm from the flower in this shot): Here

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  5. OP
    OP
    locopano

locopano Member

Yeah the close focusing distance is of course very attractive for wide angle, getting the subject in nice and close to create the "disorted perspective" etc

I'm going to be in Europe soon and i'm thinking the fact that i wont have to change lenses all the time or shoot only at 20mm will be handle. As most people have told me their 17-40 never leaves the camera.

I just want to make sure the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 is sharp. It would be nice to have it be what the Tamron 28-75 is to the Canon 24-70 L... to the Canon 17-40. I just want to see some more shots.

Before the 20mm Sigma was $300 cheaper than what i thought i could get the Sigma 18-50 for. Now thats its <$200 more i'm starting to think! Plus if it really shows itself off i could sell my Tamron, put in some extra cash and get the Sigma 70-200.

Just spoke to some people and i might be able to get this for $610 Delivered!

6. OP
    OP
    locopano

locopano Member

Thanks..

Its seems that i can really lighten my load if the Sigma 18-50 is taken. Like i said most people have said that a 17-40L hasnt left their camera when over in Italy, France etc. and it was a perfect walk around. The quality is really starting to shine through in some of these reviews. Hopefull some other have some more to add for me to view?

7. oli

oli Member

Hey again :)

Yes I'm pretty set on the Sigma lens 18-50. Infact I was planning on ordering it this week.

I just got an updated price and it's $775 from Diamonds in Adelaide.

A quick look on eBay shows non Australian sellers with the lens for $659, with $60 postage and 10% GST that totals more than what I can buy it for locally...

loco where can you get it from for $610 delivered? :tongue:

I put this together when I was considering the lenses:
    http://halogen.mine.nu/~oli/temp/lens.htm
    Maybe it'll help someone else...

This guys tests are also very helpful:
    http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/lenstests

FranchiseJuan thanks for pointing that out regarding filters.

8. OP
    OP
    locopano

locopano Member

When it arrive and the deal actually goes through i will let you know. My last deal fell through so i dont want to mention any names yet and give them a good/bad name unessiccarily.

If they use a POSTAL SERVICE you wont get charged GST.There is a $1000 GST limit as said by the customs webpage plus i have emailed some people who have bought these lenses of ebay and they both said that they didnt have to pay GST.

OLI i will let you know VIA PM when its sorted out.

9. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

I went to the dark side and bought my Canon 10-22 from Hong Kong (mainly because I couldn't find one anywhere over here and I wanted it before I go to New Zealand next month) ... I didn't have to pay GST on it, even though the total cost was over $1,000 - though the lens itself was A$999, maybe they went on that, or maybe I was just lucky, though that would make it a first :)

10. OP
    OP
    locopano

locopano Member

Franchise thanks for the thin filters comment..i havent read that anywhere and that is going to save me some trouble! Thanks for the thoughful response!

Dont suppose you have any links to filters of that sort?? What should i look out for???
    Cheers

11. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

*cough* look in my sig (wrong size for the Sigma 18-50 though).
    Most decent filter manufacturers make slim versions .... I think.

12. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

All major manufacturors of filters (Hoya, B & W, etc.) all make slim filters. difference between Hoya and B&W is that the Hoya has a front thread. This can be important as you might want to mount a Circular Polariser, or ND filter without having to take the UV filter off.

Two things to consider about filters with this particular lens:

1) If you shoot raw 99% of the time like me, the amount of vignetting with the filter is inconsiquiencial (sp?), as I can just make the adjustment in what ever raw converter i am using (usally camera raw, or C1), and you would never know the difference.

2) If you are getting this kind of lens, and want to use it to shoot landscapes, then you might want to stack filters (or at least stack a circular poloriser on top of your UV/protection filter). In this case the Vignetting can become not an insignificant amount, and might not be able to be corrected in your raw converter. Getting a larger filter and using a step up ring would not help, as in most of the cases you would want to use the lens hood to control flair and larger filters would not fit.

So if you are going to purchase a slim filter, then the one I would go for is the Hoya, and they only come as the pro 1 version. These are a little pricy, but having used one on my 50 and previously on my A1, I can say that they are very good.

On a good note the hood is nicely shaped for you to be able to turn a circlular with it on, and the front element does not turn so that graduated ND filters and Circlulars are easy to use.

There is an Australian retailer for hoya pro 1 filters here.

13. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

I've never been a fan of Hoya filters .. I've used both Hoya and B+W and I think both the build and optical quality of the B+W is better, though they're both good filters in the scheme of things.

Just don't use a cheap filter ... you'd be better off without one all together.

14. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

This we can both agree on. If you are going to use a non-multicoated filter on your lens, then just don't bother to use one at all.

Funny you should mention the filter brand differences, the best filter that I have optically is on the 77 limited, and it is a Pentax SMC...... ;)

15. OP
    OP
    locopano

locopano Member

hey i would just have one for protection....so i would just have a UV filter on.

16. OP
    OP
    locopano

locopano Member

OLI - mine should be here on Monday - Wednesday next week. If you get yours soon can you let me know what filter you got and if its any good. I have looked around and they put the price up another $100 inc delivery. So im thinking getting one when i pass through singapore.. but if its going to cause problems..

I have a 67mm already.. i guess i'll take it out around the city, take the type of shots i will be over in europe buildings,people, landscapes etc and see what the deal is.

I didnt even know what vignetting was and i wish you never mentioned it!(frachise) well i never encountered it so never asked about it.

I will be shooting in RAW + L the whole time cos i want to get a MASSIVE print outta my holiday to hang on my wall when i get back, so having the RAW versions will be good.

FranchiseJuan: do you have the thin filter already or do you have normal size. Also have you noticed if it disapears at all at lower apertures?

17. oli

oli Member

I've decided to hold off for awhile on any new expensive gear.

I ordered a Canon 50mm f/1.8 prime instead to keep me going for awhile, then down the line I'll get the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L instead.

Changed my mind :D

18. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

I am currently using just a normal Hoya Multicoated filter on it. I notice that it is a little bit better with smaller apertures, but I have not really used it enough to know. I do have a few jobs to do this weekend, one of which I will definatly need it for, so i will report back.

19. OP
    OP
    locopano

locopano Member

Just to let people know i will have one of these lenses in MELBOURNE and i will need to sell it now as i just got the Canon EFS10-22mm for a really good price.

So if anyone wants a Sigma 18-50 f2.8 for Canon please PM me! I have to get rid of it and dont mind selling it at cost price which will be way under what you can get it for on ebay including shipping (its in melb so you can pick up)

I will start a for sale thread but thought i might post here if thats ok!

20. oli

oli Member

How does a Canon EFS 10-22 replace a 18-50? :confused:

How much did you pay for the 18-50 then, and where from? :rolleyes: