1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Silencing the Corsair Obsidian 650 D case with GTX 570

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Lnrds, May 14, 2012.

1. Lnrds

Lnrds Member

Hi guys,

I've been looking at noise dampening kits but not sure if it will reduce the noise.

I have a 650D Corsair case which originally comes with the window on the side panel, because of that cooling wasn't the greatest for my GTX 570 and general airflow circulation in the case but it was quiet. So i got a mesh side panel that allows me to mount up to 4x 120-140mm fans or one giant 200mm fan.

I mounted a 200mm fan, now the case is noisey and It is because of the mesh side panel.. The noise is definately coming from the graphics card. If i play for long periods during todays winter weather it can get between 60-71 degress and thats when the auto fan speed kicks in exhaust the heat.

any tips? What adhesive would i need to place to noise dampen the whole case inside?

Thank you

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  2. Moptimus

Moptimus Member

This here should help.

Otherwise, try making sure that you have clear air flow to the card, get a can of compressed air from officeworks ($2.50 for 150 g) and blow the heatskink - don't let the fan spin.

See if you have a similar amount of air flow (all air in = all air out) if more fans are on intake it can end up loud.

3. Concept CBF

Concept CBF Member

69-71 is bloody cool for a gpu to run on standard cooling.
    Just put the original window back on. You may as well run the system outside the case if you have a vented window on like that.

4. m3k

m3k Member

I've seen people take off the cooling unit off 570s and put h80 corsair loops on them, made it run 15deg cooler and dead quiet, you just have to tack heat syncs on the ram modules as well, and make sure your case has ambient airflow like a quiet intake fan running medium speed etc

5. ol-skool

ol-skool Member

I recently bought a corsair 650d and two gtx680's.

The front fan against the mesh is horrible, so noisy.

I removed the middle drive cage so more air gets blown over the gpu's and i also installed a 120mm fan in its place blowing straight onto the gpu's.

I spaced the cards out in sli.

I get 32deg idle on gpu1 and 28 deg idle on gpu2.

Load for gpu1 in bf3 after an hour is 57 deg max, gpu2 52 max.

All i need to do is fix the noisy front fan which from what i read will only be achieved if i cut out the front mesh behind the fan filter.

:/

6. D_W_Y

D_W_Y Member

I replaced the front fan with a coolermaster megaflows fan. cant hear a thing. it is 30mm thick though so you have to move both hdd cages and just have 1 mounted next to your psu.