Silent HDD's and BRD/DVD drives for HTPC

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by Arch-Angel, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Just wondering if anyone can tell me which are the best HDD's and Blu-Ray/Dvd combo drives to havev in HTPC's?

Unfortunately SSD's are not a viable financial option...
    I've heard that the WD Greenpower drives are actually quieter and arguably more reliable that Samsung's Silencer drives, and the low power consumption would be a bonus too IMHO.
    Is that right though?

And the choices for BRD/DVD combo drives seem to be between Pioneer, LG and Samsung - are the all much the muchness?

2. Wozzernux

Wozzernux Member

2.5" Laptop HDD would be my recommendation for quiet storage. Seagate Momentus series are swift, quiet and very affordable... and due to their size you can cram more of them into your HTPC. :p StaticIce link

3. Rampage101

Rampage101 Member

I've just got a 2.5" SATA in my HTPC, my PSU is louder :(

4. OP
    OP
    Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Thanks guys, didn't know lappy drives were being used in HTPC's! :o

Ok, so time for an uber-n00b question... do the 2.5" drives mount into normal desktop cases all right? Or do you need a special mounting bracket?

(I'm looking at the Thermaltake DH-101 cases)

5. whowalks

whowalks Member

WD green drive are only 5200 RPM, so I wouldnt recomend them for a OS drive good for secondary drives:thumbup:

6. mr_mordred2095

mr_mordred2095 Member

I used a samsung 1.5TB and a Samsung DVDRW/Bdrom combo Drive. I get annoyed because the 2x "silent" 120mm fans on slowest setting at the back of my Antec Fusion Max case are the loudest part of the computer.

Can't hear the HDD or BDROM ever. When watching something, the noise, the ambient noise in quiet scenes is far, far louder.

7. issa2006

issa2006 Member

1.5 wd adf drives quiet... much quieter seek noise than the wd 1tb non adf green drives...

great boot hdd (just partition the first 120g as a c:\ rest d:\ etc.. first 120g at 100+mb/sec. (xp???)+adf + 2 partitions?

its a 5400----7200 very rpm hdd..

use a hdd cooler/quiter

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=71_211&sort=20a&page=2

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...e=product_info&cPath=71_211&products_id=20377

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...e=product_info&cPath=71_211&products_id=22895

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...ge=product_info&cPath=71_211&products_id=3707

which ones the best?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most of my noise is frm hdds..

iv got a fanless cpu q9450 (3.6g) +psu..gpu (8800 gt)
    +
    i have to put in fans , for some air flow.. 1/2 rpm)

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_photo.php?pno=ST40NF&area=usa
    [​IMG]

use sound damping in case..(i have + helps)

is fanned psu use psu cove, i have 2x

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_photo.php?pno=pp02&area=usa

[​IMG]

Software

use anydvd. quiet feature to slow down movie playback, on dvd+ blue rays

+

spindown software + as well..
    dvd+hdd
    http://www.drivepowermanager.com/

note on the above software (xp).. things hook up to the onboard intel (x45x48) chipset, work, dvd/hdd .. spinddown/ seek noise controll..

it my 2tb wd green (non adf) works with noise control.. 128 vs 254, it slows down a bit (hdd tach shows slowdown), but its quiet,...

(power manag for this drive + this software does not work, but xp hdd manag works)

if you hook up things on 2nd controlers (sil/ jmb etc) some or most features of above software done work..+ raid setups..

pioneer 218 supp power+ itel spindown..+ lg blue ray/hd burner does..+ also any dvd hd quiet feature.. (for playback)

hdd in usb 3 box.. no support,...

any one got usb 2.0/3.0 power managemt.., xp hdd shutdown des now work for usb 2.0 3.0, they stay live(no sleep)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  8. OP
    OP
    Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Thanks for the advice guys!

I got the WD 1.5tb green drive and it's great - fast (enough) and quiet for all but the most demanding of tasks.
    Can't hear it at all for video playback off the HDD, but can just hear it if I'm copying to the drive. (mind you the optical drive is the main source of noise in these situations)

I also ended up getting the Samsung DVD/Blu Ray combo drive.
    Happy enough with the performance so far. It's not exactly quiet, but it's ok if you're playing back a movie or something. There is a faint high-pitched whine during quieter scenes though.

FWIW the included Cyberlink PowerDVD software is just crap. I'm about to try Arcsoft's Total Media software instead.

9. s3kemo

s3kemo Member

I run 2.5" 160GB Western Digital Blue for OS and WD Greens for storage. Quiet, cool, dense storage.

10. issa2006

issa2006 Member

your 1.5 wd hdd supports quiet feature (slightly slower access)

using http://www.drivepowermanager.com/ + intel on-board controller,

if used it lower the seek noise... with little slowdown.... hd tach 88mb/sec vs 86mb/sec avg

also you can set how long your optical drive takes to power down etc...

+

any dvd (+hd) supports a quiet feature... when only a movie is detected (dvd-blue ray etc) it slowss the drive down for playback...

http://www.slysoft.com/en/

if using xp + adf hdd dont forget the alignment of the drive..

im going to test xp part 1, then win7 creat part d:\ on a adf..hdd

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  11. The Brad

The Brad Member

I love people who say this, I beg to differ.

I have 2 x 750 Green drives in my desktop PC and 2 x 1TB in my MCE PC and I swear by them.

They have a variable rotation speed, and when you do large transfers they easily run over 80mb/sec sustained. Now its quite likely you can get faster drives by probably 20% at full whack, but at the expense of power consumption, heat and noise.

They are the perfect compromise for a HTPC in my mind.

12. mrjimmyc

mrjimmyc Member

I have a combination of 1TB Western Digital Green drives and 1TB Samsung F3's in my fileserver, my main PC and my HTPC.

The WD's as you say get a bit over 80mb/s write speed but the samsungs get around 110mb/s. The Samsungs also run several degrees cooler and draw the same amount of power as measured by a killa-watt meter and are no louder.

The WD's are good drives but if i had my time again I'd get all F3's.

13. issa2006

issa2006 Member

1tb are noiserer than the 1.5 , 2tb versions.. wd (seek noise)

i woun touch samsng, hdd

i have 4 hdd that have failed on the 2 year mark (750g units) 2008.

wont buy again... als had 320 units back in 2003/4 that also fail 2 years in.

but at least iv han no fail for seagates/wd for 3+ years (1 bad in 30 hdd) rest iv sold to upgrade at year 3 mark

14. mrjimmyc

mrjimmyc Member

Its all luck of the draw. Every brand has failures and you just happened to be unlucky with your Samsungs. I've had drives from Samsung, WD and Seagate all require RMA in the past few years so no brand is immune to drive deaths.

That being said I still have an IBM 30gb "Deathstar" drive running fine in a small gateway server here and if you believe everything you read from the nay sayers they had a 100% fail rate.

I don't rule out buying drives from a manufacturer because of a fail or two unless there is a known bad batch (as WD had with their 200gb's a few years ago and seagate with their 1.5TB issues recently). What i will do though is not buy bulk lots of drives from single production runs.

15. OP
    OP
    Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

People are talking about getting 80+mb/s write speeds on their drives, but when I do large file transfers from drive to drive (both Sata II) I seem to get speeds of between 8mb and 10mb per second... :confused:

16. The Brad

The Brad Member

Your controller settings/drivers are up the shit. Are you running AHCI on your SATA controller? Checked cables? What mobo/chipset?

17. OP
    OP
    Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Ummm, no idea... :(

Specs:

Win7 Home Premium
    WD 1.5tb Green
    AMD X2 250
    Gigabyte GA-880-GM

All are less than ~1 week old.
    Cables are all firmly plugged in, although I am running the HDD off a Molex->Sata power adapter (sata power cable didn't reach)

18. The Brad

The Brad Member

You need to go into BIOS and make sure your hard drives are in AHCI mode rather than IDE mode. Drive to drive transfers will be 2-3 times faster in my experience.

Now I'm not a guru with AMD gear - but it also makes a big difference whether you're on the RAID controller or the native controller.

Now regarding the setting above, if you're running 7, I believe you may have to do a clean format to make that change. System may BSOD if you try to change it in-situ.

19. s3kemo

s3kemo Member

Seconded.

Rest assured the drives aren't causing it. My 2x 1TB greens are on the same onboard controller and performance is fine.