SimCity (DRM discussion = ban)

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Philll, Mar 1, 2012.

1. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Cant you bodge it from a different origin store for half the price? I wouldnt pay $30AUD for it to be honest.

2. BioNiKaL

BioNiKaL Member

Even that is being generous.

I was lucky enough to get the pile of garbage refunded.

3. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Me too, yet EA/Origin never removed it from my account, even after receiving the full refund of $80. :rolleyes:

4. zed_kid

zed_kid Member

I bought it last night for $30, standard edition on origin. I like it so far, it’s simple but I still feel a sense of achievement when good stuff happens

Also first I went to steam and put simcity into search and bought whatever came up thinking it was the latest simcity, but it was simcity4 lol. I was like this is weird its only a 1gig dl. Then I remembered origin

5. bizarroking

bizarroking Member

sorry to bump a dead thread for a dead game but for anyone still interested in a city building game, be on the look out for "cities: skylines", they set out to right everything that was wrong with simcity 2013

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/cities-skylines

6. raGneG

raGneG Member

I've been playing the last two weeks.. it's really not THAT bad. Sure the tiles are small and stuff but it's still fun for many hours!

7. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

Looks good, as does Cities XXL also out soon.

8. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I concur. I noticed that there is no longer any patching being done for SimCity 2013, so decided to finally swallow my pride and enjoy the game for what it is, in more or less its final patched state.

It is fun when you break away from the traditional Simcity brand, and take it as a standalone game. But it has some serious bugs which threaten to damage your towns, such as when exporting/importing water/sewage, I found I had to exit the game and then come back the next day for the game to update and allow me to import/export.

Further to this, the trade system in general is a mess. It's too hard to control, there's no easy way to just see the information that you need to see, then respond to it.

There are module deletion bugs, which means when you plop a building down and then plop down modules, if you delete a module, you're unable to re-use that cleared space.

The agent system begins to fail once a map is filled out, with power often failing to reach the corners of the map. Since Power stations are so large, there's no easy workaround to simply just plop down a wind turbine aka Tropico 3 style. Poop also has the same issue, but can be fixed by plopping a poop outlet in a problem area... (I hate the sewerage outlet game play concept... it comes across as lazy. At least dump it in a river!!! )

Tunnels can now be placed, although I'm yet to employ them as due to the limited room in a city I've no where to place a tunnel with out damaging chunks of town.

In my final opinion, Simcity 2013 wasn't far from being an awesome game, but falls short in all too critical key areas and thus is sub-par. If Valve was working on such a brand & game, they would have;
    • Scrapped the release in 2013
    • Re-addressed & reworked the game
    • Released a perfect city building game in 2015

EA loses a lot out of this, and Maxis more so...

http://kotaku.com/ea-shuts-down-simcity-developer-maxis-1689454903

9. Jacom

Jacom Member

I've been having similar issues with the power and water.
    Other problems have been related with the sharing of services. If I have one town with a fully maxed out police, fire and hospital building, then share it with a connected neighboring city, that target city (whilst even still in a small state) will complain of health, safety, etc.. issues. Which made me think sharing services is still broken. Garbage and recycling works a treat though.
    Also, if I get an Arcology built, one city may see it as full of population, but another can't. Even after a restart. Also, the one that does see it, doesn't report any regional or local drop in demand for residents, which I thought was the whole point of the Arcology. Is there some way of switching it to active? It says it's running and has enough power, etc...

10. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

I've played cities quite good
    I'm playing with sc again

11. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

Cities XXL turned out to be rubbish. Skylines is great.

12. neRok

neRok Member

13. r8response

r8response Member

Valve is up next. They're currently in court with the ACCC

14. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Yeap.. valve has got some answering to do.. hopefully ACCC kicks their ass..

15. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

3 emails to EA support back in the day saw my $80 promptly returned. :leet:

16. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

I bought an indian copy for ~$25... then got dead space 3 for free, so I can't really complain about it..

17. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Looks like Valve is going to have to change their no refund policy especially if they insist on charging the Australian premium.

18. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Valve has always had a refund policy.. Threaten them that you're going to do a chargeback on your CC for ALL the games you've bought.. they can't issue you a refund quick enough..