SimCity - Technical issues and general whinges

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Rubberband, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

Hi all,

Please discuss the, hopefully, temporary issues with SimCity.

(A service kindly provided by me despite not buying the DRM riddled, castration of a game).

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  2. jum

jum Member

Was going to pick up a copy for my wife (mega sim fan) but after now im thinking no..

Click to view full size!

almost as much hate as WarZ

3. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

It's easy to understand why a core feature of the Simcity have to be discussed separately, especially to further reinforce the reasons why you shouldn't buy into EADRM.

Everyone went through the same problem with Diablo 3. There were countless discussions about the 'always online' DRM months ago leading up to the launch this week.

We're at the stage where gamers shouldn't be surprised about getting ripped off, especially if you don't make an informed decisions about your purchases.

After all, why should consumers be outraged? You're no longer buying a game... rather paying for a 'license' to a lease a block of virtual land, that EA/Maxis has kindly given you temporary access to work on it. You have no ownership over it and you certainly cannot play with it whenever you want. :weirdo: In fact, the many of them that are not able to access right away just have to wait patiently for them to fix their game.

It's like paying for the priviledge to beta test a game. Nothing new that gamers should be angry about... right?

4. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

what a shame - I was thinking about getting a game like this to give myself a break from all the mindless shooters I have been playing...

Can you play offline, or is it an online-only game?

5. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Can you play it offline?

[​IMG]

6. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Just read up about it..

[​IMG]

7. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Kotaku made this article in June 2012. It's worth a read.

That's just a summary of the DRM. We havent even gotten started on the 2x2km2 block of land.

Which is the size of this image of sydney....

[​IMG]

8. Amran

Amran Member

Here I was thinking technical issues were things like server outages, network errors or graphics issues?

More tech tech, less wahh waahh.

So on topic, I can connect to server just fine but when I load the game it brings up the white box saying "Unable to connect to Simcity servers. Please try again."

9. OP
    OP
    Rubberband

Rubberband Member

Fixed the thread name for you :D

10. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

I feel sorry for you especially when you ordered it on Origin for over $100.

:lol:

11. Amran

Amran Member

lol thanks but you might as well call it "omg I can't believe I've been pirating games for years and now companies are doing whatever they can to stop it and I hate DRM cause I can't steal games anymore and I can't believe I have to actually be connected to the interwebz to play and omg the cities are so small and theres no subways I'm never buying this I want a refund waahh wahh waahh"

...if that fits, dunno :lol:

As far as I can see, those are the two main issues: DRM and small cities. The thing is, people seem to be blaming DRM for their server connection woes. So really the problems are server connectivity and small cities. People just seem to loose thier minds over DRM and jump at the chance to poo-poo it. If the servers are running stable (which they will be eventually...how often do Wow servers go down nowdays - both EA games) then the DRM is absolutley no problem unless you want to pirate the game. As for people saying "yeah but what if they turn off the servers in 5 years"...nah I can't see it playing out like that, and even if it does, I don't think I'll be playing a 5 year old game by then anyway.

Seeing as I mentioned Wow...think about it, EA game, must be always connected...no one is losing thier mind about DRM with that game right? Anyone remember playing Wow the day it came out or new expansions? Not me, I couldn't get on because the servers were full. Simcity is no different and if you thought it was going to be then you are just setting the bar too high.

As for small cities, how many people complaining have actually played a game for any significant amount of time? I played beta and the depth of simulation is massive, it's so much more about quality now rather than quantity. There is just so much going on in that "small" area. Also, there are some city plots that are significantly bigger than what we played with in beta.
    Dont sweat it mate, I'm OK. I'm just glad the game is out and I'm looking forward to spending many hours playing it.....and it was $99 thank you very much!

12. Zabba

Zabba Member

I don't think gamers who bought the game are angry at having to be online to play. They are angry at the fact that this feature is not wroking properly. There is a difference.

Whether the requirement to be online is a good or bad 'feature' is not in discussion here. There are a lot of people who don't mind having to be online to play, there is also a fair amount of people who think this is outrageous. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who don't get informed of the product they are buying.

13. OP
    OP
    Rubberband

Rubberband Member

I think you'll find that the issues are quite significant if you are an experienced Simcity player Then there are the bugs, DRM, server issues, city sizes...

Just bear in mind that people with little previous exposure will get more mileage than those who have played a lot of city builders and Simcity in particular. The recurrent theme seems to be simplification = wider audience = more sales but they have to risk their credibility with the existing player base.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/03/simcity-impressions-we-waited-ten-years-for-this/

For the record I'm not a pirate nor have been for many years. I have many online only games so to distil the games issues into people hate Simcity DRM cos they are pirates appears disingenuous. I went through the same thing with WoW, D3, Star Wars but at least they had a fairly solid justification for doing so!

14. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

You cant really lump a game like World of Warcraft into Sim City. The reason of the "always online" component is not the same. A MMORPG implies that there is a persistent online world where players are interacting together in the virtual world.

Simcity is still going to be a single player game no matter what kind of spin they sugarcoat it with. Being forced to create multiple private city square blocks to connect to your main city block (because you dont want to play with others) is something i attribute as a major design flaw. For any enthusiastic "city building" gamers like myself, i for one would not trust some random idiot to build their city next to mine! Not when their flow-on effects impact my own city.

Their sole purpose for the online DRM in my opinion is to wipe out the second hand games market. The never-ending cycle of blaming piracy for the implementation of draconian DRM measures is not a new one. We went over this the last time Maxis released Spore. There was an OCAU thread with hundreds of posts on the issue. The simple fact is that piracy is a convenient scapegoat, for an otherwise unnecessary layer of complication to their game launch. EA Maxis is no newbie to DRM following their previous titles Spore and Darkspore. Did it do anything to stop piracy? Absolutely nothing.

15. Amran

Amran Member

Thats right, we have experinced similar problems with other games but were more understanding because they needed to be online for good reason. This time the reason seems to be DRM (despite Maxis saying its for MP and resorce market)...so people are going crazy at DRM when they should be getting angry about the crappy server capacity. Or just getting on with their lives for a few more days.

I don't think the pirating comments are unjustafied...like I said in my previous post, if the servers are stable then whats the problem with DRM?

16. Amran

Amran Member

So be angry with low server capacity, not DRM.

17. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

I'm not happy with the game design. I dont give a shit about the DRM because i wont be playing it.

You cant mod the game. Simcity has always been about modding. Sim city 4 is still around because of the extensive modding options available. It's a vital element for any city building simulator - to continuously find new ways to innovate, adapt and change a city to meet the needs of community, residents, the environment and technology. Modders have added hundreds of new buildings, civic structures, cultural and iconic elements from the real world into Simcity 4.

EA/Maxis has "promised" that modding will be available in future. I wont be bothering until its implemented.

18. OP
    OP
    Rubberband

Rubberband Member

But without the DRM and the flimsy justification for being online, there wouldn't be any server capacity issue.

The DRM is the cause of the problems, not the servers. The server issues serve to remind us that our game is being unnecessarily impacted for the sake of protecting a product which will get cracked for offline play regardless by those who want to pirate it.

$50 approx, rather than the $90+ prior to digital distribution, is mitigating piracy across the board but they still waste their time and ours with over-bearing security systems.

19. Foliage

Foliage Member

Servers full, can't even play the tutorial level.

THANKS EA FOR NOTHING

20. hotsuma

hotsuma Member

just installed cant get in , changed to a europe server now it just gets stuck on checking for updates , so i dont suggest you try that , if anyone does get in can you let us know . wonder if there is a way i can reset back to oceanic , the button does not work , there may be an ini file