Simple Cloud Database System - Airtable

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Smokin Whale, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

I was surfing the interwebs tonight (as you do) and I came across something I wish I had several years ago when I was setting up my systems. It's essentially a simple cloud based SQL database, which of course can be used for anything. It also doesn't require knowledge of SQL (aside from perhaps the structural theory behind database systems). There's a free tier for the little guys and it can be used with any device. They plan to kill Excel, which I'm sure will please elvis (or maybe we'll just hear about how it's not a real database instead :p)

You can check it out here: https://airtable.com/

The best thing about it is that it's got the marketing appeal that will actually get business people off their backsides and ditch their spreadsheets for something better (no-one wants to setup a dusty, grey-beard SQL database).

Not affiliated or anything, more wondering if anyone has had any experience with it, and if there's anything like it which is perhaps even better.

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Looks interesting. I've long said that Google Apps is missing a simple database type tool (their own version of MS Access, but not shit).

I might play with this and see what it's like. We've got a lot of reports that spit out CSVs, and they really should be something more useful than that.

3. Pepito

Pepito Member

Looks interesting.

/thread subscribed :)

==

4. aza2001

aza2001 Member

yup following too :)

5. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Exactly my thoughts. I actually use Google Forms for a lot of little bits of data here and there and I've been yearning for something more database-y, with APIs and primary keys and such. This seems to get that right. You can import existing data as well which is neat. It also connects with Slack, another tool we use a lot. The API has a LOT of potential. No Android App yet, but the form functions will work just fine via mobile browser.

Might whip up some simple databases tonight and see what it's like.

6. Wynne

Wynne Member

7. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Pricey in comparison though. Can't comment on the functionality of course.