Simple Excel Formula?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by skymist, Sep 14, 2017.

1. skymist

skymist Member

Hi all,

I'm very much a newbie to Excel but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction as trying to make the process at work a bit more streamlined.

I'm wondering if there is a way I can create a formula in excel that I can input for example the below values

QTY 3 | Length: 2300mm | Width: 1150mm | Height: 2100 | Pcs Required: X

A Pc is 1000mmSQ so in this example I would need 3 (rounding up) for the length and 2 for the width - Height doesn't need to be factored in. So 5 pcs x QTY 3 = 15

Is it possible to add a greater/lesser than value to a cell so it will do it autmatically?

I've tried to make it at simple as possible. :D

2. Tinian

Tinian Member

In excel you'd just use the roundup function to divide the length (2300) and width (1150) by the PC length (1000), sum them and then multiply by the quantity required.

e.g. =SUM(ROUNDUP(length/PC,0),ROUNDUP(width/PC,0))*qty

3. miicah

miicah Member

CEILING.MATH() is probably what you're looking for.

A1 contains 1000 (your size)
    A3 is QTY, B2 Length, C3 Width
    put this formula in E3 (to ignore D3 height)

=A3*(CEILING.MATH((B3/A1),1)+CEILING.MATH((C3/A1),1))

4. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Am I reading this wrong or are your trying to work out the number of panels needed to cover some space?

If it's 3 length x 2 width that would make 6 panels?

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Meaningful answers can and will be provided if you can meaningfully name your variables.

At the start of any formulas, programming, mathematics you need to clearly define your variables and constants and then you structure a formula (method) to capture/calculate that.

So be more specific in the naming of your variables so that everyone clearly understands what you are trying to achieve. Follow the KISS principle.

Pcs Required: (what is this, parts required, pieces required?!?) are you saying that a pc is a particle board (or type material) that is 1000mm x 1000mm (or 100cm x 100cm or 1M x 1M)
    Length: (length of what?)
    Width: ""
    Height: "" - if height doesn't need to be factored in why is it even mentioned?
    QTY 3: what is this

No offence but your variable naming is completely confusing (Pcs could be computers, QTY 3 could be 'quantity 3') if you can be very clear and concise about all of the variables then something very meaningful can be created.

Even if you just tell people exactly what you are trying to do then a meaningful formula can be created.

Try listing your variables in a simple list and then simply explain what they are before you start (you will find this makes everything else that follows a lot easier).

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017