Simple fish dinners - fried John Dory with lemon-caper sauce

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by Amfibius, May 8, 2013.

1. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

I have been cooking a lot of fish lately. Fish is healthy, delicious, and very easy to cook. I thought I would post a few recipes to encourage OCAU'ers to try their hand at fish cooking.

This recipe calls for cooking whole fish on the bone. Cooking fish on the bone has many benefits - your fish is more moist, it is less likely to fall apart, and it somehow tastes better. Suitable fish for this recipe: John Dory, Flounder, Snapper. From start to finish, this dinner can be cooked in ten minutes.

[​IMG]

Ingredients
    - John Dory, one per person (about 300-400gm each)
    - 1/4 cup flour, for dredging
    - 100gm butter
    - 20gm capers (about 2 tbsp)
    - juice of one lemon
    - chopped parsley (optional)

Method
    Preheat the oven to 180C and prepare the fish. Cut off the head (and save for stock) if it won't fit the pan. Trim all the fins. Cut vertical slashes in the flesh, about 2cm apart. Add salt to the flour, then thoroughly dredge the fish in flour.

Preheat a non-stick frying pan and use a liberal amount of olive oil. Just before putting the fish on the pan, dredge it in flour again and shake off the excess. Fry the fish, presentation side down. Just as it starts to colour (about 2 minutes), turn the fish and allow the bottom to colour.

Now check the temperature at the thickest part of the fish - if it is less than the target temperature of 48C, place the fish in the oven to finish cooking, about 5 minutes at most.

Meanwhile, make the lemon-caper sauce. Drain all the oil from the pan, then melt the butter. Add the capers and lemon juice then adjust seasoning. If using parsley, add at the last minute. The sauce is ready.

Remove the fish from the oven and transfer to a plate. Drizzle the sauce over the fish. Serve immediately.

[​IMG]

John Dory with lemon-caper sauce.

[​IMG]

Flounder with lemon-caper sauce.

2. KANNIS

KANNIS Member

Looks good. How much did a whole Dory set you back? Arm or a leg? :lol:

3. swatson

swatson Member

everyone else sees the smiley face in the second dish right?

4. snapsy

snapsy Member

The John Dory looks so fresh and delicious! I’ll definitely have to give this a go.