Simple free video editor wanted - like irfanview for movies

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by oculi, May 6, 2012.

1. oculi

oculi Member

I want to edit a video i took on my sony bloggie, maybe put a title on it but probably not.

simper the better, have heard windows movie maker is the go but don't want to use it because it has the word "windows" in it.

thanks!

2. Audionut

Audionut Member

Hmmm. I use a few different programs myself, and there are plenty of good ones. But they are all programmed for "windows".

Might be hard to find a program designed for windows that doesn't have the word "windows" in it bud.

How about you stop being silly, and atleast give it a try first before you write it off.

3. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Can you suggest any FREE programs like iMovie that can be used on Windows please?

4. OP
    OP
    oculi

oculi Member

thanks bud. what are the names for a few of them? i'm tipping a few won't have the word "windows" in them because programs don't tend to get called "program for windows" anymore bud.

another reason i don't want to use movie maker is i'll have to convert to whatever format it wants to use bud.

5. DJ_Hippster

DJ_Hippster Member

Have you tried the latest Windows Movie Maker?

It actually has greater format support than a lot of other 'free' editing programs.

(Talking a bout Windows Live Movie Maker v 2011, not 5.6 or 2.6).

If you haven't tried it, at least give it a go. You can't really write it off if you haven't tried it. :)

6. OP
    OP
    oculi

oculi Member

i'll give MM a go, the not wanting to use anything with the word windows in it was mostly a joke but if there is something better or easier to use or whatever i'll try that first.

i'll use irfanview as an example again, it is great for what it does with images, compared to microsoft office picture manager which is somewhat limited and harder to use.

7. thebranded

thebranded Member

i felt the same about windows movie maker
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1015559

But after giving it a go it was perfect. (for what i wanted)

And as pointed out in my thread. Dont use the preset settngs aslwasy save the fiel at the highest quality avaible.

btw i used Windwos DVD maker (or somethign like that) to convert the file and burn the dvd.

8. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

My brother and I use Premiere Pro for our video, but my bro has used Windows Movie Maker for quick youtube videos etc, and reckons it's great for the basic stuff.

I'd just use it and don't tell anyone. ;)

9. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

GF's been bugging me to find something like MM so she can edit some phone/handycam clips of family events. The best available alternatives I've found differ depending on required functionality:

NCH VideoPad - Full non-linear editing, multiple audio tracks, transitions/effects/titling etc. Free version has some limitations in input/output formats. (Basic home version USD$39.95 / Pro version USD$69.95). Pretty powerful and easy to use but not superbly optimised, fairly slow to encode even on sig rig... doesn't seem to support any GPU acceleration or compute processing for effects, previews or final encode (paid version might be different in this regard, I need to check it out further).

The old, but still good, Open-Source VirtualDub - Not NLE software, originally written to capture and manipulate video from webcam/capture cards. Retained this functionality and added support for basic clipping, combining, filtering and processing video via a wide range of plugins. Highly-optimised and fast to encode but not as pretty, easy to use or flexible as Videopad.

Or, you know, Movie Maker. :) I haven't tried the latest "Windows Live Movie Maker" yet. We've mucked around with VideoPad a bit and it's not bad but not so great that we instantly want to drop 40 bucks on it... lack of GPU acceleration and general optimisation is a big :thumbdn:

Cyberlink PowerDirector 10 supports GPU acceleration via OpenCL and is great to use, but is limited to a 30-day trial (full version starts at $69.95)

EDIT: I wonder why the people that write this kind of software feel the need to give every one of them a NonSpaced TitleCaps PowerNameTM.
    Maybe they think it makes them sound more Technomalogically Awesome.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  10. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Even comes in portable version!

11. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

:thumbup:

But worth noting that it only supports AVI/DivX MPEG1/2 video out of the box. It's not compatible with MP4/M4V MPEG4/H.264, at least not without externals codecs and plugins.

12. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

Agreed. It is really quick and easy and gets good results for linear stuff where you dont need multiple video/sound overlays and is the ONLY thing I have found that works properly with AVCHD lite formats

13. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

Yeah if WMM had multiple tracks like Premiere, most of the stuff for youtube would be done with WMM. This intro for example, had about 10 video tracks IIRC..

Premiere will still be used for all the heavy lifting, but where colour correction, chroma key and fancy effects aren't needed, WMM is pretty good, apart from the track limitation.

14. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

And the fact that it only saves to wmv... :mad:

15. random1283

random1283 Member

I tried it before coaxing a Premiere license out of my school, and GPU accel is very handy but the program on 64bit was unstable as hell for me and I could'nt figure out why, lost hours of work due to the whole program crashing and corrupting the savefiles.

I would also go +1 on windows movie makers surprisingly good for basic needs if you don't expect too much.

16. OP
    OP
    oculi

oculi Member

I got videopad based on the recommendation of some forum google found, did what i wanted it to and is a simple exe download and install with no fuss,lots of saving options too.

thanks for the replies all!

17. seb

seb Member

Not free though.

18. OP
    OP
    oculi

oculi Member

maybe i only got the trial version, i figured you had to pay even for that as per the link site but i got it via their website and didn't have to pay. no countdown timer or anything either

19. voltare1

voltare1 Member

id like something, such as videopad but free.
    timeline, audio, level control, fades, effects etc.
    mm doesn't like my phones video format.

20. Shane T W

Shane T W Member