1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Simple, hassle-free custom fan profiles for AMD GPU?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Smokin Whale, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Hey guys, giving an old gaming rig to my brother and just wanted to up the fan profile on the HD6950 since the default profile lets it run well over 90c, which is a bit too toasty for my liking. MSI afterburner worked to setup a custom fan profile, but I'm a bit worried since I've had it stop working randomly in the past (I think it expires or what not?) Are there any simple alternatives that just work?

2. straiton

straiton Member

I've never had probs with afterburner IIRC, but using Nvidia stuff here.

Is there enough case fresh air flow?System temps good?

If you're keen, you could replace the thermal paste on the gpu.If it's never been done, it's prob past it's use by date by now.
    I use Noctua NTH1 on mine, cheap and good quality.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  3. congoh

congoh Member

Only way to absolutely achieve what you want are:

1. Replace thermal paste on gpu
    2. Add more case fan to increase airflow
    3. Replace default HSF with aftermarket 3rd party HSF

I've used afterburner and it was reliable enough but it's not 100% (after a brownout it didn't work but worked fine after proper shutdown).
    Windows can get corrupted after brownout/improper shutdown and not load things at startup.

I'd replace thermal paste first before anything given that default fan profile GPU temp is 90C. Is this load temp? If this is idle temp then I absolutely think thermal paste needs replacing.

4. Sundarjee77

Sundarjee77 Member

Definately reseat the HSF on the GPU with new thermal paste and clean out the dust on the card and fan. I've wasted money on aftermarket GPU HSFs and I dont think they are worth it mate.

MSI afterburner has been a god send for me I'd trust it any day, use DDU and then install latest drivers just to cover your based.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/msi-afterburner-beta-download.html

5. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

i recently cleaned the dust out of my gfx cards with an air compressor, they didn't look very dirty but the temps dropped by 15 degrees :s

have you logged the GPU temps to see how high they actually go? the fan profile might say 90 degrees but it might just top out at 80 or so in normal gaming conditions

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018