1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Simplest solution to back up the NAS?

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by mhgarage, Dec 28, 2016.

1. mhgarage

mhgarage Member

For a long while I've used a NAS to store data (about 1.5TB), as my computer has a small SSD. The NAS has a single hard drive, and is a WD model (basic).

My existing way of backing up the NAS is painful. It involves plugging in an external drive to the computer, and using Karen replicator to incrementally back up from the NAS, via the network and my computer, to the external drive.

It works, but the computer crunches away for many, many hours with each backup, and it feels like I'm doing harm to the computer.

Theoretically you can plug the external drive into the NAS directly, and it will clone itself, but it doesn't work properly and never has, and the interface is painful.

Now I've upgraded to a new laptop, again with a small SSD and windows 10, and I'm keen to avoid this madness, especially as it only has wireless and no gigabit port.

What's the best easy solution these days so that my 1.5TB NAS can be easily backed up onto an external disk with minimal pain? Do I need new hardware, and if so, what's the simplest?

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

I think this is your main issue. If I were you, I'd buy a NAS with software that works and use your WD as the (or another) backup destination. I have both Synology and QNAP units and their replication/backup applications both work.

3. X-ZemPt

X-ZemPt Member

I have a Synology device that stores my backups, I use the 'Cloud Sync' software within DSM to duplicate my backups to one of my O365 accounts. Initial backup took a while. But incremental backups are fine.
    This includes Time Machine backups of two Macbooks.

4. OP
    OP
    mhgarage

mhgarage Member

Thanks - to confirm - they both allow automated backups via USB? I've searched through product info and it doesn't seem to be an advertised capability for most

5. broccoli

broccoli Member

Yep. I was backing up my synology to a usb drive and the qnap can back up to a usb drive, although I've never done it. There are different ways of backing up, you can just copy data, do an image type backup, and can even do some version-type backups if you need to figure that out.
    https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/data_backup
    https://www.qnap.com/en-au/family_apply_v2/con_show.php?op=showone&cid=3

6. OP
    OP
    mhgarage

mhgarage Member

Thanks - much appreciated. Will have a close look at these

7. peter10001

peter10001 Member

First learn how to backup,
    then you know what hardware you need.

Backup takes a long time?
    What hardware do you have, what speed do you have,
    etc.
    You give no information.
    Old usb 2, old hardware is slow.

You need a automatic backup like a nas, buy a newer model for speed.
    then you need a off-line backup, against encryption virus, this could be a usb hard disk, this must be disconnected from power and usb.
    The external usb disk, could also be a 2e nas, and this one should also be disconnect from power and other cables(lightning from bad weather).
    So you still have to manually backup.

Then your nas, do file version on your files, this is also against encryption virus.

With buying hardware, look for reviews if your hardware is good and the real speed of the nas or external hard disk.

A backup is never simple.
    A backup takes a long time.
    A backup is difficult.
    A backup cost a lot off money.

And for if you did not know,
    how long is a backup OK, 2 seconds is the answer, then it is gone for ever.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  8. caspian

caspian Member

I'm currently looking between Amazon Drive and Backblaze.

the former is more expensive and seems to have some limitations around file types, the latter I trust a little less (?) than Amazon, and I need to understand the backup file structure more.

I don't know why it's so hard to just find a facility that offers a chunk of disk space online I can do an incremental backup to.

9. passivekid

passivekid Member

Check out tarsnap.com

10. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

I set up a little 2 disc Synology NAS for my inlaws, and it backs up every night to a 2.5" USB disk using the Synology backup app call Hyperbackup. You can set it to do incremental backups and keep x number of backups. Works well.

11. caspian

caspian Member

I use Hyperbackup now for (infrequent) backups to an external HDD, but I have sufficient data allowance that an automated cloud solution is looking attractive.

I'm also very leery of USB drives spinning 24/7, and crap like crytolocker. it's only myself and the wife using the thing but I'm going to be very :eek::mad::upset: if anything untoward happens, so I'd prefer a "disconnected" solution with historical snapshots.

12. X-ZemPt

X-ZemPt Member

Do they rotate between 2+ 2.5" drives, keeping one offsite? In case of fire, all copies are lost if the don't...

13. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

It's not critical data, so occasionally I take a separate copy to another disk, but maybe only once every couple of months or so. The nightly versioned backups to the USB disk are really for convenience.
    Having said that, if the NBN ever gets here and it's not slower than the ADSL they already have, I'll swap them over to back up to a cloud storage service instead (probably Glacier - there's a native Synology backup app for it), but it looks like it's still 2 years away.

As an aside, I have two larger Synology NASes at my place (a DS1815+ and a DS1813+). The 1815+ is the main NAS (I work from home, so it's the file server for all my work data as well as normal household duties - media server, etc). The 1813+ is used purely as a backup target, using Hyperbackup for nightly incremental backups of the entire 1815+. It's located at the other end of the house from the 1815+, but in case the whole house burns down, I also run Crashplan on the 1815+ via Docker. It works great, but our ADSL is so slow it's not all that practical. I've got about 450GB backed up to Crashplan (only the stuff I really don't want to lose), and it took nearly 4 months to do the initial back up :/

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017