1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

Singapore advice (3 nights)

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by the_fuzz, Jul 4, 2018.

1. the_fuzz

the_fuzz Member

Hey all,

I'm off to the Maldives in October, but on the way we are spending 3 nights in Singapore (Marina Bay Sands).
    I've only every been to Singapore for work - which is basically airport to hotel/office, back to hotel, to airport and then home.

Just wondering if anyone had some ideas of what are the "must do's" in Singapore for our short time there?

2. Jeffo

Jeffo Member

I've heard Legoland is only a short trip away if that is your thing. I'm planning to do that next time I stop over for an extended time.

the_fuzz likes this.
  3. doug81

doug81 Member

Shopping is pretty good (Marina Bay & Orchard Rd), check out the super trees, breakfast at the zoo, high tea at Raffles, Newton Circus hawker centre is pretty good for cheap eats, wander around Clarke Quay (stop into Jumbo's for Singapore Chilli Crab). Tons more, but these are some classics that are worth ticking off the list...

the_fuzz likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    the_fuzz

the_fuzz Member

thanks guys,

much appreciated

5. Zee

Zee Member

What are you into? Lots of excellent super cheap 1 Michelin Star food stalls around. Like stupid amounts. Often they are $5 meals or less.

I'm doing the Legoland thing with my daughter in about three weeks. Just behind the Sands is the Megatree garden thing, kinda cool to walk around there for a while.

Generally depends what you want to do...

Oh, as for Maldives... Which resort are you headed to? OCAU top tip - Go into Male and buy shitloads of bottled water at about 50c a bottle, because they'll be charging you about US$5 a bottle (if not more) at your resort of choice.

Ask me how I know...

Z...

6. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

Is Pulau Ubin still a good day out? Did it maybe 10 years ago, was good to get out of the city for the morning.

7. Zee

Zee Member

Oh, Sentosa can be amusing for a day or two, if the theme park type thing floats yer boat.

Z...

8. OP
    OP
    the_fuzz

the_fuzz Member

Love street food, local food - so we will wander around quite a bit, going to hawker centres etc

When we are at Marina Bay, there is a Marvel exhibit, so will definately be going there

Will be going to the "light gardens" across from MBS and spending a lot of time in the infinity pool at MBS

Apart from that, go to little india for dinner - can you recommend any good small bars/areas etc to have a few drinks/cocktails

In regards to the Maldvives, we are staying at Valigandu - small, adults only resort

9. archie

archie Member

10. Zee

Zee Member

The bar at the top of Marina Bay Sands (on the racetrack side) is pretty good, and not really any more expensive than anywhere else (Singa's is freaking expensive for booze) - unless your looking for more of a dive bar?

Also, try Tai Hwa Pork Noodle ( I think that's the one) near Lavender. Super delicious, and Micehline star rated, for about $5...

There may be a bit of a line.

Z...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  11. OP
    OP
    the_fuzz

the_fuzz Member

Thanks mate,

Yeah, I cannot believe how expensive beer is in Singapore - I thought that was the just hotels I have stayed at whilst there for work - but now when I'm looking for restaurants to go to when we are there and I look at the drinks menu - wow, expensive

12. sanjay

sanjay Member

not sure if its still worth hopping over to johor bahru for the day if you want cheap food/booze/shopping but ive done that before. havent been to singapore for quite a while....

13. Zee

Zee Member

Only if you do it for a couple of days. getting across take a bit of time. We just did it last weekend, took the little lady to Lego Land (which is quite fun), and it is quite cheap, though I just fed four people at Tiong Bahru food court for $11, so... Singas can be ok for food. Hotels, on the other hand... I'm coughing up $600/night right now, freaking hurts like hell!!! Normally I'd crash on my mate's boat at Raffles Marina, but that doesn't work with 4 adults and 2 kids...

Z...

the_fuzz likes this.
  14. archie

archie Member

Zee, how old is your daughter?
    thinking if we should go to LegoLand when my son is ~2.5yo or wait till he is 4-5yo.

15. Zee

Zee Member

The eldest is 7, the Baby Bansheeâ„¢ is 3mths. It's easiest to go by height over age, but at 120cm or more, they can do anything in the park on their own, and my daughter insisted on doing the Dragon, and the Speedway rollercoaster on her own. There are a lot of rides they can't do at 1m or less, so, provided your happy with taking them on just the tame rides (and there are a few) it's ok.

I'd say 5 is a good age, as by then, they actually know what's going on. Our 7yo can't remember our US trip when she was 4 (just turned 4), despite it being quite an epic trip, and her first US halloween, which she made great use of.

For me, personally, the first 2-4 years of a kid should be as travel free as possible. they really are mainly just little ball and chains. From about 4 on, though, it does get quite fun, and especially at about 5-6, when they start to understand what's going on, it gets particularly cool.

Z...

archie likes this.