SKA telescope funded for Central Aus

Discussion in 'Science' started by War1910, Dec 27, 2012.

1. War1910

War1910 Member

I didn't see any other posts about it, so I thought I'd get in first:

From News.com.au

Good stuff!

2. Coopz

Coopz Member

Can't wait till they fire it up:)

3. ddk

ddk (Banned or Deleted)

Two-billion total cost and our government gives $18.8 million.

I wonder how much we spent on useless things, like the arts?

4. goodlet

goodlet Member

SKA is located in the 'mid-west' of Western Australia.

5. lithos

lithos Member

Not enough.

6. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I find it strange that your interested in Science yet you consider art, which boosts creativity/brain development which in turns leads to greater thinking, useless. :confused:

I'm sure some could argue (I'm not one of them) that looking out to space is total waste of money when we have so many problems here at home which needs solving.

7. ddk

ddk (Banned or Deleted)

You're funny.

8. Phido

Phido Member

Arrh arts verse science.

Astronomy has given us many things, wifi for example, and also things like all the elements, almost all of physics, much of mathematics etc.

The ska is going to be awesome. 20 millions is only the initial funding.

9. lithos

lithos Member

Because one of the side effects of being a nerd is the inability to relate to others.

10. Diode

Diode Member

Great stuff, though once again federal funding on science always seems like a governments low priority. $19 million is way less than most state funded failures like Myki. :thumbdn:

11. Zylatis

Zylatis Member

Almost all of physics? Please tell me how astronomy was crucial in the development of quantum field theory (essentially the most successful theory in science). Also there are several elements that can only be created artificially for a short period of time ergo your statement about 'all the elements' is wrong too. Just thought I'd point that out =)

Anyway, Australia only got half the SKA, the other half goes to South Africa in a move that is totally retarded and unfortunate. ASKAP should be good though.

12. Phido

Phido Member

Astronomy has significantly contributed to physics continuously over 3000 years.

I don't know about quantum field theory is the most successful theory in science. I don't know how you can really rate theory's success, especially a new one.

With out astronomy you don't even get newtons laws. Astronomy is an interconnected part of physics. I don't know how you can separate physic and astronomy as they are so inter connected.

Observations in dark matter are where quantum field theory is being developed. Quantum field theory should be a part of astronomy, for it not to be would disproving quantum field theory.

All elements are creAted in stars. Including those short lived ones. It's just that they decay, just like the artificial ones. Which is why we don't find them lying around easily.

13. Zylatis

Zylatis Member

I never denied it's importance or historical significance, but it's completely outlandish to say that almost all (which i read as 90%+) of physics comes from astronomy.

Well, it is. You measure it by how accurately it describes the things it's meant to describe i.e. how well it stands up to experiment. In this regard, the age of a theory is more or less irrelevant (assuming one has the facility to perform the required experiments) and QFT stands up as best amongst all.

And you are not distinguishing between astronomy, astrophysics and cosmology. To me these are all individual (although obviously connected) fields. Astrophysics and cosmology do have elements of quantum physics, astronomy in general does not. QM is a huge field and was developed almost entirely from local data (no stargazing required).

But anyway, I won't derail this threat anymore =)

14. imajican

imajican Member

Can we get the title changed please , SKA isn't anywhere near central Aust

Is in the Midwest / Murchison area in WA:thumbup:

Awesome project , cant wait to read about the discovery's this will find !

15. kripz

kripz Member

16. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Exciting but what is a FRB? No one knows the cause.

17. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

FRB = Fast Radio Burst.
    Probably from Darth testing his Death Star. :)

Seriously, we have good theory of what causes some of them: http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/cosmos/F/Fast+Radio+Bursts

We're lucky these and other similar high energy events are hard to study. If they were still happening and in closer proximity life on this planet would be toast.

18. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Conjecture about what it is - from the dawn of time it appears but part of the huge puzzle.

19. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

Thought I would put in a few links for reference.

Here is a lay article from the ABC.

The home page for the Australian Square Kilometre Array Pathfinder (ASKAP) which has everything to know about it.

The publications link from the home page. Will be reading through this later. :thumbup: