Skiing in Australia

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Scarpetta, Feb 14, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Anyone know if it's possible to hire a car from Cooma and then drive it to Thredbo? (Or Canberra then drive to Thredbo) and the same back, but obviously at a later date?

Or can one Uber? haha

2. clonex

clonex Member

I did say few days ago drive that to jindabyne and get transfers from there, some places provide it for their guests as well.
    It is 15hr drive tho with bugger all stops other than a refill halfway but realistically more like 16-17hrs with few stops

I hired a car from europcar one year to get to the snow, pretty sure they charged a premium on top as was taking it to the snow. This was from canberra and stayed at Jindabyne.

Nothing like going for a midnight drive from jindabyne to thredbo and seeing the wildlife getting around.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  3. OP
    OP
    Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Trying to figure out if the transfer from Canberra is worth flying into Cooma instead.

The transfers from both places seem to be long and I'm trying to minimise motion sickness.

We don't need a car for the week we're there. That's for sure.

4. TwinII

TwinII Member

I did a road trip with the family in 2017 down to the Snowy Mountains. We stayed in Jindabyne 2 nights in a bain in a caravan park - was still expensive at about $300 per night for the cabin. It was a nice 30 minute drive into Thredbo each day. We also drove around to see Perisher but didn't ski there. I didn't actually ski - I let my wife ski while I looked after our 2-year old daughter. Our 4 year old son went to what we called 'ski daycare' where they look after them and take them out skiing. It was an enoyable few days!

Scarpetta likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Thanks, We're flying into Cooma and getting a transfer from there. :)

6. Hepsily

Hepsily Member

I lived in Jindabyne for 10 years and worked at Perisher for around 7 + Thredbo for a bit so if you have any specific questions fire away.

If you stay at either Perisher Valley or in Thredbo Village you wont need a car, you can walk or get bus/oversnow to where you need to go, Thredbo is more accessible in this regard because the village is lower so there is less snow to contend with. If you are getting transfers from Cooma airport make sure you can stop in Jindabyne on the way through to get supplies, both Perisher and Thredbo have an IGA but they are expensive with little range.

Price wise, the ticket prices should be pretty much the same for both, where the difference will come in is the accommodation, both have a huge variety of both style and quality so shop around! Ski/Board hire is generally cheaper the further you get away from the snow, so cooma is cheapest, then jindy, then the resorts, (again shop around) but in saying that if anything breaks / needs adjusting then on snow is a major time saver.

If you want to see snow, and not Ski/Board Jindabyne is going to be far cheaper, fly to Canberra rent a car and drive down, if you get an AWD or 4WD you do not legally need to carry chains in the NSW national park - most rental companies charge extra for going above the snow line (currently set at Jindabyne). Take day trips to Perisher and Thredbo if the weather is going to be nice, if its going to snow, drive to the ski tube and go up on that.

[KEi]SoVeReIgN, Scarpetta and clonex like this.
  7. Hepsily

Hepsily Member

oh and one other thing, you will need a national parks pass if you take a car into the park. $29 per day for a car. If you get a bus/shuttle in then you need to pay a per person charge (normally in the ticket price) of $11.45 per adult and $3.60 per kid per day.

8. OP
    OP
    Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Thanks Hepsily We've organised accommodation, lift passes and equipment hire direct from Thredbo. And we fly into Cooma with transfers. Transfers have dealt with the nation park pass/cost.
    Thanks, I didn't even think of that and given we're coming via a regional flight we don't have that much luggage allowance.

Do they have many restaurants and places to dine? We have a bungalow so have our own kitchen.

9. OP
    OP
    Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Oh and it looks like going via Cooma has saved us nearly $1k off our initial quote.

10. Hepsily

Hepsily Member

There are plenty of restaurants in Thredbo Village, however they are pretty expensive and quality varies. You have to think they have a captive audience - lots of hotel rooms with no kitchen means people have to eat out some where. Even having your own supplies for lunch can save you a bunch and if its convenient to get back to your accom during the day for a break it can be a lot nicer than dealing with the hoards trying to eat on the mountain. (again generally pretty low quality but high prices!)

You will have a great time, Thredbo Village has a really nice atmosphere (way better than Perisher, and I worked there!) Even if you want to take a break from the skiing there is some nice trails along the river, even play some golf!

Scarpetta likes this.
  11. Cape_Horn

Cape_Horn Member

Personally I would have thought flying into Canberra and busing up to Thredbo would have been cheaper, and time wise would have been about the same when you look at airport times.
    I will say I haven't looked at specific flights to Cooma and then a bus cost from there.
    I will agree, that while Jindy is nice, if you are coming from interstate, then staying in one of the villages and not having a car makes a lot of sense.

As for other things to do up there, well, most of the time I go up there isn't much snow around.

12. OP
    OP
    Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Treat it like a hospital cafeteria. Got it :)

I physically can't do Buses. Not snobbish, but the discomfort from motion sickness it quite unsettling and not something I want to start, or end, my holidays with. So we looked at private transfers. $1k each way from Canberra. Flights ended up about the same for BNE to CBR as BNE - SYD - ‎YCOM, so we saved on transfers from Cooma to Thredbo.

13. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

OP has the patience of a saint in dealing with all the dumb suggestions in this thread.

Perisher and Thredbo are comparable in cost to each other if you're staying somewhere else and driving up daily, but If you're staying on snow Thredbo can be significantly cheaper, and it has a better nightlife/food options.

What plenty of people tend to forget when doing cost comparisons to overseas is all the extras required can really add up - Hiring a proper car in Queenstown because all the roads are fucked up to the resorts, expensive rail/flight connections in Japan to get to the snowfields etc etc. Skiing is an expensive sport no matter where you go, you won't necessarily save a tonne doing it overseas.

To your trip - Don't hire a car if you can help it - You don't want to deal with a parks pass, roof racks or parking overnight (Basically impossible at Perisher, easier but not easy at Thredbo) and plenty of hire car companies specifically prohibit taking their cars up the mountains. If you did though you'd have the opportunity to get out of the resort bubble and explore Jindabyne etc

$2k on private transfers from/to CBR seems wasteful given a bus is direct, cheap and the roads are pretty great.. but each to their own.

Only downside to the all-in packages including gear hire is the gear on offer at the resorts is pretty run of the mill stuff, with a private transfer I'd be tempted to pick up some cheaper and better equipment in Cooma on the way. Don't expect top of the range accomodation, gear or food for your money.

14. Cape_Horn

Cape_Horn Member

That is understandable. (motion sickness sucks).
    And if people are charging 1k each way for transfers from Canberra, I should look into getting a side job in winter... (Can't do 2 adults and 3 kids at a time, pity)