1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Skt 479 to 478 adaptor from ASUS

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by nVIDIAxp, Mar 4, 2005.

1. nVIDIAxp

nVIDIAxp Member

It sounds quite interesting. it would be even better that P4C800E could use that adaptor :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Teukka

Teukka Member

p4p800 supports that via bios update, p4c800 support coming...i posted this to 915gm thread.

3. Utetopia

Utetopia Member

OMG, I'm so glad I didn't waste $420 on an underfeatured board. Phew!

Hopefully ABit will be next.

4. lazyboy1984

lazyboy1984 Member

SWEET!!! *waits eagerly*

5. OCIT

OCIT Member

No visable clips ect for cooling??

Hows that going to work?

6. Deja Vu

Deja Vu Member

yeah i was wondering the same thing. It looks like the board also is larger then the frame for P4 coolers meaning that it wont use that. Perhaps this is just a sample model, and the retail one will have something different (perhaps socket A/370 style clips.

7. stmok

stmok Member

So its a "Mobile CPU to Desktop Mobo" adapter?

I know PowerLeap made one of these...But didn't not put it into production.
    (It wasn't feasible from a marketing/profit view, as Socket 478 is being phased out). They do have fully working prototypes.

This looks like a ASUS only product...It does bring interesting potential. :)

8. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Very nice.

I they're cheap and the chips come down a tad they could be a real hit

9. DeNs

DeNs Member

Very nice :) Opens a lot more options for people wanting a dothan :)

Hopefully there'll be a decent mechanism for mounting waterblocks/heatsinks.

---dens

10. stmok

stmok Member

It looks like there's limitations...

* Atm, only few ASUS mobos work with it.
    * Unknown overclocking potential (It may or may not support overclockable mobos, no jumper selection of voltages...So it may rely on BIOS?).
    * Only support for regular Pentium-M and Celeron-M CPUs, NO low voltage (LV) and ultra low voltage (ULV) CPUs.

But then, you have think about the advantages it brings :)

* Low cost (compared to DFI and AOpen mobos, save at least $200 Aussie to overall system costs)
    * Dual-Channel RAM (based on the currently supported ASUS mobos)
    * Lower power (low heat production and low power consumption compared to P4 and Celeron...Good for 24/7 setups).

Overall, I like this idea. Its the stuff like this that make me like ASUS.

This should be good for a effective upgrade for my dad, sister and my desktop PCs. (We're all using PIII-era systems)...Grab a relatively affordable ASUS mobo, one of these socket adapters and a Pentium-M...And the best part, long live the P6! (And its hybrid derivatives and future variants) ;)

Forgot to add...Does anyone know french and can properly translate the article in the link of the first post? (I don't like those online translators).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2005
  11. Deja Vu

Deja Vu Member

It could turn out to be expensive as we dont know how much the adaptor costs.

12. lazyboy1984

lazyboy1984 Member

i believe the high cost of the i855 mobos from DFI and Aopen is purely due to intel charging high premiums on that chipset thus those mobos are so expensive.

asus probably knew it would have been easier and cheaper to produce a adapter instead and this shouldn't cost anywhere near as much as those mobos.

13. stmok

stmok Member

Exactly, it probably costs them next to nothing to build. I estimate it'll be about $30 Aussie or so. ($40 at most.)

Its nothing special (as it doesn't have any VRMs or special features), so I doubt its anymore expensive than those Slocket adapters used for old SLOT 1 setups.

But if you think about it, this is actually an interesting and yet cost-effective move by ASUS. This means they can get rid of their stock of old Socket 478 mobos with just a low cost adapter! :)

14. Whisper

Whisper Member

I cannot wait until the Benchmarks come out!!

15. alpha0ne

alpha0ne (Banned or Deleted)

this should help fix the CRAZY situation that mobo manufacturers currently face, having to buy the same amount of old intel stock (478) chipsets every time they buy 915/925 chipsets that nobody wants :rolleyes:
    should be GREAT fo SFF :)

RANT:
    monopolistic behaviour at its best :rolleyes: (the sooner intel is broken up the better IMO) :D

16. Tony

Tony New Member

Are you saying that intel sell 5,000 x 478 chips and 5,000 x 775 chips to Asus for example to keep both 478 and 775 alive?

I'd be wanting a full list of all Asus boards that support it.

I guess you guys are willing to chance the north/south bridge blowups?

T.

17. lazyboy1984

lazyboy1984 Member

no, he worded it badly.

for all socket 478 chipsets that asus buys, they must buy the same amount of LGA chipsets.

example would be, for every 865PE chipset they buy, they must also buy 915 to go with it.

this is so intel can avoid manufacturers not following their ideals of phasing out 478 as soon as possible. asus obviously feels there's a 478 market still out there.

18. alpha0ne

alpha0ne (Banned or Deleted)

they are not trying to keep both alive as far as i know, just huge reserves of ICH5 chipsets

they (intel) are also making the board manufacturers buy in much larger numbers per order, what a good way to initially hide poor chip sales compared to the same quarter last year :rolleyes:

i honestly dont see how intel get away with it, IMO abuse of power though there are a few in these forumns who consider this just good business practice :rolleyes:

19. OCIT

OCIT Member

On the same note, it could mean, due to ASUS buying a shitload of 915/925 chipsets, they probably have a SHITLOAD of older, no so selable 478 chipsets, that if they "create" a need for would shift the surplus they have in stock.

Oh, and you have it wrong. Intel makes them buy 915/925 chipsets if the want 865/875 chipsets, not the other way round. They can buy 915/925 without getting 865/875 chipsets. Its designed so that Intel basically financially forces its manufacturers to follow their upgradde cycle, regardless of what they actually want to do

20. Tony

Tony New Member

Intel® Mobile Pentium M 725 ''Dothan'' 1.6GHz ( 400 MHz ) - Micro FCPGA - L2 2 MB - $416

You're prob. thinking twice about that. Is it cheap in the US or something?

T.