Skype for 3 different countries

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by sjaeger172004, Nov 1, 2014.

1. sjaeger172004

sjaeger172004 Member

Just wondering since going to Singapore, Japan and south korea and wondering how I should set up my Skype account.

So I can register the number for smart traveller or should I just get I prepaid sim with $30 for emergencies ad going for the unlimited skype to australian mobile and landline for $27?

Thanks

Thank you

2. Zee

Zee Member

This is how I do it - however, I am a frequent traveller, so this may not be the best for you.

I have an Aussie Skype "landline" number, it's about $60/yr.

Just before I board, I divert all calls to my Skype number - I have voicemail set up too.

When I land, I will then buy a local sim. I then divert my skype to that local number.

I now receive all calls as if I were roaming, but at Skype costs, not Aussie Telco roaming costs. Seeing as I also usually have data as part of my pay as you go local plan in whatever country I'm in, I then use Skype on the phone to call back to AU if I need to.

Japan and Korea are exceptions, and are usually a PITA with their "sim rental" thingies, as my trips there are usually just 3 or 4 days. You can still do the same thing just make sure to get your sim rental sorted in advance. I usually book my trips very last minute (the nature of my work), so not much time to organise rental sims.

Z...

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  3. OP
    OP
    sjaeger172004

sjaeger172004 Member

Thanks just booked my skype number as a Sydney number will get the call Australia unmimited mobile landline one for month deal for 27

4. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Member

This is an exceptionally good idea! Thanks, I'll do this when I'm next travelling.