Slack - IRC-style IM for Work

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Smokin Whale, Jan 31, 2016.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

You don't have to sell it to me, I'm keen. All I'm saying is that if we've got dollars to throw around, there's a number of other things we *need* to throw them at before we get to the list of sexy wants. :)

2. Daemon

Daemon Member

Slack is free unless you need message retention beyond 10,000 messages or lots of integrations :)

3. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Can always use the free tier to start with and pay for the sexy features for the dev team when you're ready :thumbup:

4. GreenBeret

GreenBeret Member

^^ Secretly I use it because of the emoticons...

5. Daemon

Daemon Member

:smiile: :)

Plus you can add custom ones, like server notifications getting a fire emoji if it's critical :)

6. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I like the affirmations it gives me each time I login.

7. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

8. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

I used to have these back when we had a crappy CISCO phone system at my last work.

Now days phone systems have these built in.
    What does this give you over what's included within your business phone system's IM client? Seems a bit backwards to have a seperate IM solution now days?

I use 3CX and Zultys and both have good IM clients/phone apps etc.
    Both integrate with your address-book for CallerID etc.

Goes kinda the one step further and allow you to take business calls from your mobile etc when you're logged in via the phone app. Can see presence via Outlook etc also.

Zultys one I think is superior but 3CX is way cheaper.

http://teamextenda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/MXIE_clicktoconference.jpg
    http://teamextenda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/MXIE_clicktoconference.jpg
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/X...VrlIJVdsWVUrN4-QCo0m4llUmL-gFOaoKo6kf5HKsv5SA

9. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

What? Have you even used Slack? :tongue:

10. Wynne

Wynne Member

There's also Mattermost if you want an open source alternative to escape the pricing. Apparently supports all the same APIs/Webhooks but I am not a developer :)

http://www.mattermost.org/

I've been using it socially on my own VM for a few weeks, works well and has been stable, albeit with only a few users.

11. KDog

KDog Member

I'm trying to get everyone to use "Skype for Business". It is a struggle as everyone sticks to walking around the office/talking or sending emails...

12. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

We use Openfire/Spark clients. Works well. Fairly easy to setup as well. But yelling across the room and walking up to people's desk is still the preferred way of communication for a lot of people unfortunately.

13. NSanity

NSanity Member

As a longtime IRC, ICQ, MSN, Jabber/GChat user.

S4B is a fucking horrible client for me.

[​IMG]

The fact I can't pull it into Trillian/Pidgin is basically the biggest thing stopping me from using it.

14. scrantic

scrantic Member

15. juggernaut88

juggernaut88 Member

16. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Someone posted about this a few days ago. Looks interesting, and I can see this filling the niche for those who have a small budget and need a lot of message retention.

17. Wynne

Wynne Member

I spun up another Slack account after using mattermost for a few weeks. Its amazingly similar, Slack just feels like it has that last 20% of polished usability.

I don't think there's much point comparing Slack to SfB or Jabber/Openfire, etc.
    They're all IM/Telephony/Video clients whereas Slack is more IRC for non nerds wrapped in a nice browser/app UI.

IRC has always been more communal than IM and arguably more useful but getting non technical people to use it has always been impossible :confused:

Yammer is also not competing with Slack, yammer is more business facebook imo, its great at getting people more socially engaged in and around their work but using it to replace email/IM conversations isn't really a pleasant experience.

18. proffesso

proffesso Member

Slack here too, and at my last couple of places. works really well, mobile is polished nicely

19. Psycronic

Psycronic Member

we got asked to get slack working, but it just doesn't want to through our websense proxy. I was very happy about that when we already have a myriad of other products in use that fill the space.

20. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member