SLI a marketing gimmick?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Kookooburra, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Isn't SLI in every flavour offered thus far just a gimmick, where's the actual value of it?

Consider that both the Gigabyte Dual GPU and any SLI 6600GT set up is "slower" than one 6800GT/X800XT*, therefore the true entry level system needs to have 2 x 6800GT/Ultra, as such you're looking at an excess over a single card system of $150 mobo, $700 for a 6800GT+ I'm told you need a mighty PSU{add another $100}.....so we're $950 up.....now that $950 is the cost of the next generation card.

I think NVIDA have obtained extraordinary media coverage with SLI, but the numbers don't add up.
    *X800XL will be faster than SLI 6600GT.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  2. Bonkers

Bonkers Member

Uh what?... So your saying that there is no point in getting another 6800GT to run in SLI because you can just get another video card instead??

AFAIK 2 x 6800GT's in SLI >> Radeon X800XL

That's what SLI is all about, people with lots of money to throw around can have lots of performance.

3. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

I'm just pointing out that a X800XT/X850XT offers tremendous performance and that you'd need spend nearly $900 more to better it and that's not value for money, IOW, SLI as it's currently configured and priced is a marketing gimmick.

The fastest card is the ATI X850XT, that's already going to cost $850-1000, so spending more than that makes very little sense :eek:

4. goatman

goatman Member

x800xl is a cut down xt, just slower clocks.

5. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Yep, the XL should be one of the best high end cards ever released, and to better it by SLI, you need to spend $1000+....hardly seems reasonable anyway you look at it.

6. classic_ben

classic_ben Member

Key Word "going" --> You show me a guy with one of those cards, i'll show you a guy who writes hardware reviews :Paranoid:

7. Sephir0th

Sephir0th Member

any ideas when its comin out?

8. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

What's your point?
    If 850's are unavailable, x800xt's are for $810{gexcube}

X850XT's

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  9. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Not certain, perhaps within a month, however, the 6800GT is already out and offers similar performance, so no need to go to SLI :thumbup:

10. petfoodonly

petfoodonly Member

the good thing about SLI is that i can spend money on a 6800 now, then when i want to upgrade in a year i can get another 6800 for a ~40% performance jump rather than having to toss out the 6800 and get and entierly new top end videocard.

11. @sia@home

@sia@home Member

You konw very well you won't need another 6800GT anytime next year.

And the year after that well the cards will be clocked 20% faster, have a stronger shader component, have twice as many pipelines, and be a smidgen cooler than your current card. Oh not to mention faster ram and likely tighter ram timings.

So either way I look at it. SLI is a waste of time. Heck my x800xt pe is a waste of time.

A single 6600GT would have been perfect for my needs.

12. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

so, your point is that an extra few % fps increase would cost double $$....cpu, hard drives and memory are priced along a similar scheme.
    maybe the name is a marketing gimmick, but the technology isnt

ummm, (PE) by itself yes. against 2 x sli 6800 ultra no

13. melbourne-ocoa

melbourne-ocoa Member

computer(s) would be pretty boring if they didnt come up with more ideas for us to spend our hard earned money on,.. :)

but true there is a big price increase to go SLI way,..

but u think that will stop me getting one,. defintely not,. :)

14. aokman

aokman Member

SLI isn't really a gimmick, i have seen tons of benchmarks of 6600GT's and 6800GT's in SLI and they show some serious grunt when you go for eyecandy quality settings...

I have to agree future expansion to 2 videocards from 1 is a bonus to some users aswell.

Heres a fine example.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2322&p=5

15. melbourne-ocoa

melbourne-ocoa Member

ok maybe I should point out that SLI technology is great,.. why u say,. fair enough the ATI cards are a good fast card and worth every dollar spent but im sure if they where able to run on SLI boards in SLI mode,.. im sure alot of people out there will be buying 2 of them not just one so cant see how you can say SLI is a gimmick,..

you spend twice as much you almost get twice the speed,. ahh spending more on a bigger powersupply well thats with any extra hardware you place into your system, more hardware more power needed,..

edit: after saying all that anyone with SLI setup running one or two cards in SLI,. please post your scores here,. even if you dont make the top 20,..

Top 20 2005 3dmark Scores

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=338204

16. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

IOW, you're going to eventually spend enough to justify getting the next generation card.

17. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Good to see some sensible comments for a change.
    I'm not sure if you're a gamer, but IMO, any serious gamer{one who wants to run the game stutter free and heavy IQ}, needs a 6800GT/X800XT/X800XL.....of course a good D3/HL2 box would be something like P3 gig, I gig ram, and a plain 6800, obviously you'll have to compromise, but that would still work well for games, and for DVD recording/capture.

18. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Yes, the ATI's are the fastest and most affordable/practical gaming solution....NVIDA'S offering is a ridiculous $900 more, IOW, they're pulling your leg and hoping you fall/fork out for it.

No-one needs a high priced 1 terabyte harddrive yet, but we do need practical GPU solutions, and big props to ATI for delivering, just like they did with the 9800 series :thumbup:

19. aokman

aokman Member

I dont see what you are getting at!!!!

SLI was built to get around the limitations of running 1 videocard and technology limitations at the current point in time not for future proofing.

Since they only have a 6800ULTRA out and nothing faster, why not throw 2 in to give you more performance that is all the point is and it works!

It was not meant to kick the ass out of all future cards and keep you set for life its just to get more out of whats available RIGHT NOW.

No im not bagging anyone, i love ATI to death, SLI has just turned me to the green side...

20. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

The 6600GT SLI is a crock, at least the 6800GT SLI has some grunt{although hideously expensive}.