SLI on MATX

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by klaery, Mar 19, 2014.

1. klaery

klaery Member

Hi guys and gals,

I have 2 Evga gtx 670s. My set up is in a fractal design define mini and uses an Asus Gryphon z87 motherboard.

In the define I would have to run the two cards tight up against each other (due to only 4 slots in the case). I only run one card currently because I am worried about temps, even though both cards vent externally.

What I want to do is get a corsair 350D matx case which has 5 slots in the back of the case. I could then run the second card in the bottom pci slot so there would be a gap between the two cards.

The problem is that the bottom pci slot is only PCI2 16X (as opposed to pci3 16X of the top two slots). Would this be detrimental to performance?

Thank you in advance.

2. SoulFire-Z

SoulFire-Z Member

I am currently running SLI 560ti's in a Silverstone TJ08-E
    There are only 4 slots on the back of this case too, and these cards don't vent externally!

Top card under full load gets to 80, bottom card gets to about 65ish?
    So it is not as bad as you think.

From memory, 6xx cards run much cooler than the 5xx series. Just give it a go, you won't do any permanent damage from testing. As long as you have good case ventilation and cooling you should be fine :)

Just my 2c.

To answer your second question, PCI2 16x will not hamper a 670 (It's the same B/W as PCI3 8x). So if you do decide to get another case, you won't have a problem with this SLI setup either.

3. Rory K

Rory K Member

The bottom black PCIe slot is only 2.0 x4, so there will definitely be a performance drop.

Have you tried using GPUz or similar to monitor the actual temps the GPUs are getting while sandwiched together? While I fully expect the top card to be hotter, it may not be TOO hot.

4. SoulFire-Z

SoulFire-Z Member

Ahh, I didn't look at the mobo specs. So the very bottom PCI-E slot is a 16x slot that runs at 4x.

As said by Rory K, wouldn't use this slot for SLI then.

5. OP
    OP
    klaery

klaery Member

Oh thank you both, I had the wrong specs it seems :Paranoid:

I haven't tried it yet but space is tight for the top GPU intake fan which had me scared. I was given these cards by a friend who upgraded and don't want to have to tell him I cooked them! I have 2 corsair pressur intake fans at the front and an corsair airflow exhaust fan at the rear so ok-ish air flow but I can add side/top/bottom fans if needed. I just need a way to measure temps of the cards. I am new to this... Will research now (start with GPUZ on Rory's recommendation).

Thanks again! :)

6. newlife

newlife Member

NVidia cards don't support pci-e 4x. Just give it a try with the cards sandwiched together and see what the temps are like.

7. im late

im late Member

I ran two 7970's XFX Double Dissipation (which were not reference blower) in a previous mATX build I had (Asus Rampage IV Gene, Corsair 350D).

Temps under full load were acceptable but not ideal on 38 degree days.

But I don't game on such hot days with no air con so no problems as long as you have made use of all the fan intake and out take options on your case.

All, in all, you should be fine with cooler NVidia GPU's.

8. OP
    OP
    klaery

klaery Member

Thanks for all the help guys :)

These were the temps during a few rounds of BF4. Max of 84 and tended to stay around 82/83. This is with no extra fans. Are these temps acceptable? I can add the side fan which should help a lot.
    [​IMG]

9. SoulFire-Z

SoulFire-Z Member

If you can add a side fan, I think that would help a lot! Temps aren't bad, but you wouldn't want them going much higher than that :)

Doesn't look like you had SLI enabled (looking at the second cards stats anyway).
    One thing you could test, is plugging your monitor into the second card (with SLI enabled) and checking temps again. :thumbup:

10. stroggos2k

stroggos2k Member

SLI needs an 8x slot, won't run at all on the bottom slot.

11. OP
    OP
    klaery

klaery Member

Hmm I was running SLI (at least I think so).
    Ok so side fan didn't do a lot. brought it down about 2 degrees. I then installed new drivers and attached the monitors to the bottom, better cooled card instead of the top. Now despite having direct x issues now, I was able to get a quick game in and the temps were much more equal and stable between the cards. It seems *too* low though and more testing will be done once I sort the direct x problem.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014