Sliding mitre saw.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DSTM (Dougie), Mar 24, 2019.

1. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

Try to design a cheap DIY sliding mitre cut off saw for Acrylic.
    Watched heaps of videos, but either too expensive to build, and overkill.
    Anyone got one DIY, that's simple and works well.? Photos?
    Or a link to one, I may have missed.
    Thanks to anyone who can help.

2. havabeer

havabeer Member

do you want it for just straight cuts or making actual mitres. an upside down circ saw is probably the cheapest way to build one.

surely the $79 ozito brand one from bunnings isn't TOO expensive? just get the right blade for cutting acrylic.

Madengineer likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

Thanks for replying. Just straight cuts up to 400mm.I will check out the OZITO one.
    Thanks.:)
    I have the right circular saw blade coming from EBAY, for my 61/2" makita circular saw.60 t.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  4. firey4059

firey4059 Member

Gidday Dougie.
    400mm is a big cut. I think you have a few options.
    1) Second hand sliding compound mitre saw from reputable second hand shop (most seem to come with limited and reasonable warranty period).
    2) Ozito sliding compound mitre saw from Bunnings, etc. They are cheap and if you're not bouncing great masses of timber on them, they're fine for the money.
    Whatever you buy, spend time investigating and fine tuning your saw. I bought an industrial table saw that was "not cutting accurately", therefore cheap and no warranty. It hadn't done a lot of work due to these issues.
    A mate and I spent a day fine tuning and put a great blade into it and it's now a beautiful machine.
    Cam.

5. oculi

oculi Member

I have a 10" sliding mitre saw, it will only cut about 300mm, I imagine most saws this size will have a similar cutting capacity.

If it doesn't have to be super accurate i'd look at making a shooting board, or buying a track saw. If you are doing heaps i'd look at making a cross cut sled for a table saw.

6. OP
    OP
    DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

Thanks. Just have to weigh up the options.I could prob get away with the Ozito one. If I need to cut say 400 mm Acrylic I could rough cut it with the Jig Saw, then router a straight edge.
    Table saws, I worry I may accidentally cut myself.I have other Ozito products. I like them.
    Prices are excellent.I wanted something where the blade is protected.

7. OP
    OP
    DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

I made a prototype, and run into a problem, I couldn't overcome, so this is where I am up to.
    Getting into Acrylic and have most equipment, just thought this would be very handy.
    Defyant has been so helpful and teaching me.
    Thanks for reading and the Links.:)

firey4059 likes this.
  8. oculi

oculi Member

That's actually a great way to do it, I used to cut plywood close to the line with my circular saw and route to the line with the router before I got my table saw. Would probably give you a better than a saw edge on acrylic too

DSTM (Dougie) likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

I went to Bunnings, and had a look at what was available. The OZITO sliding saw at full stretch, wasn't perfect. .
    Had side movement, which you may be able to adjust out. All other brands are out of my price range,(Pensioner)
    The OZITO Table Saw is cheap, and good value for money. But still like all of them, the width is very restrictive.
    Besides with Acrylic, has to be secured firmly, to cut.Otherwise,the sheet will vibrate and big chance of chipping.So not a good choice,IMO.Fine for other materials.
    So back to the drawing board, and a lot of head scratching. Decided to make a second prototype with is so different to the first one.Put a lot of thought into this one.This one "Sliding Saw"will have a feed width of 600mm.Will handle the largest side covers of of most Cases on the market.
    Wish me luck, building this one.:)

10. clonex

clonex Member

could make a frame for the acrylic to sit in and then guide it over the table saw if worried about chopping fingernails.

11. havabeer

havabeer Member

Only other suggestion would be keep an out on Gumtree and Facebook for a cheap 2nd hand

Would a scroll saw or band saw with a fence/guide be better suited? At least you can do the straight cuts and a few other bits with a band saw.

After re reading could you make a simple track/frame and have your circ saw above it. Similar to a radial arm saw. I can't draw it on my phone so I'll have a go when I get home

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    firey4059 likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

Thanks for the replies, Guys.
    I am making a track,that the circular saw sits in and no movement sideways.
    I have a Band saw, but too restrictive distance between blade and neck.
    Great advice, much appreciated.
    Will take me a while to build and test.:)

firey4059 likes this.
  13. shredder

shredder Member

I've got the Ozito track saw. It does the job ok (within reason, and with good technique applied).

Would rather have a decent table saw but like you say Dougie the width seems restrictive on all of them. If you can't even cut a 1200mm piece in half what's the point. We're not making little kids toys here.

GL with the build Dougie. Keep us updated.

On a side note. Getting into making lately. And find this topic, the art of simply being able to measure + (mainly) cut things straight and square and accurate, is 90% of the challenge.

Anyone can sand and drill and screw and put things together, relatively speaking. It's making the pieces properly that seems the challenge! (without spending thousands on trade grade tools, that is...)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    DSTM (Dougie) likes this.
  14. havabeer

havabeer Member

this is roughly what i was talking about:

[​IMG]

so if you had the circ saw above a wooden bench with fence at the back, you would have the circ saw in a track so it can't wobble side to side just back and forth. at least this way you can cut what ever width of material you'd like the only limit is the length of track you build.

height wise if you make it so the blade just runs a groove into the wooden table you'd have a nice line showing you where your cut line is. it would be a very similar setup to a radial arm saw but just using a circular saw in a track. should be able to build the whole setup out of MDF and a hand full of screws/glue

[​IMG]

DSTM (Dougie) and firey4059 like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

I would love that DeWalt.In my dreams.
    Will reply later tonight. Want to make noise before it gets late.:thumbup:

firey4059 likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

Working on the new prototype. Can only spend a short time each day working on it.:)
    Taking longer, than I thought. About half way there.Thanks for your interest and advice.:thumbup:

17. Defyant

Defyant Member

This is all i made mate GL :thumbup:

18. OP
    OP
    DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

Thanks Defyant. That looks simple.:thumbup:
    I think I have over engineered mine.:eek:

IN4M3 and Defyant like this.
  19. shredder

shredder Member

Love it. Simple and effective.

I need more work space for stuff like this.

How's it going Dougie? Having great success?

20. OP
    OP
    DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

Coming along good, mate. Mine is not simple, but I want it to last.
    I will explain why I built mine the way I did, when I post images, hopefully in the next couple of days.
    Yeah, It's a pain when your tight on space. Lucky I have enough.:)