Sliger S620 (SFF) - First Time Water Cooling

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by onggie, Dec 15, 2020.

1. onggie

onggie Member

So I have been doing a bit of research on this and it's looking like SFF and hard line aren't all that common, mostly soft tubing because of access/complexity. This might be something silly for a first time water cooling builder, but will try nevertheless.

My first issue is I don't have the case yet. I can't get hold of this case so I'm temporarily using an NZXT H220 which has a lot more space. Th hardware is CPU is a 5900x, GPU is a 3080 and I won't be seriously overclocking.

My first stop was going to EK's configurator and checking the specs against a NCase M1 which is only slightly smaller and same sort of configuration to the S620. It quoted the following;

Fans - These need to be thin as there isn't much room between the bottom of the case and the GPU
    2x EK-Vardar X3M 120ER D-RGB (500-2200rpm) – Black
    $ 76.52

Radiator - This need to be thin as there isn't much room between the bottom of the case and the GPU
    1x EK-CoolStream SE 240 (Slim Dual)
    $ 87.01

Pump/Res - I needed something small, but at least with some sort of a res.
    1x EK-Quantum Kinetic TBE 120 DDC PWM D-RGB - Acetal
    $ 273.00

CPU
    1x EK-Velocity RGB - AMD Nickel + Plexi
    $ 124.30

Tubing
    3x EK-HD Tube 10/12mm 500mm (2 pcs)
    $ 35.01

Fittings
    6x EK-HTC Classic 12mm - Black
    $ 44.64

Coolant
    1x EK-CryoFuel Solid Cloud White (Conc. 250mL)
    $ 18.06

Power
    1x EK-ATX Bridging Plug (24 pin)
    $ 2.89

Power
    1x EK-Cable Y-Splitter 2-Fan PWM (10cm)
    $ 4.88

Tools
    1x EK-HD Tube D.I.Y. Kit 10&12mm
    $ 24.44

Total: $ 690.75 (from EK's shop including shipping)

Over the years of reading, I have come a custom to people using Barrow and Bykski. So I'm wondering whether I should go down the path of looking at these brands to save some money where I can, or not bother? There are obviously some inherent problems like not being able to shop at the one store to combine shipping.

At the moment, if I look at other brands, it looks something like this;

Fans
    2x Noctua NF-A12x15
    $ 105.80

Radiator
    1x EK-CoolStream SE 240 (Slim Dual) Radiator
    $ 99.00

Pump/Res
    1x Bykski CP-PMD3COV-X-CT60-V2
    $ 130.54

CPU
    1x EK-Velocity RGB - AMD Nickel + Plexi
    $ 149.00

If anyone can provide suggestions/assistance/spoon feed me, it would greatly be appreciated.

EDIT: Here is an example of case fitment, this is an Ncase M1, I'm basing it off something like this minus the 120 rad and GPU cooling for now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    juzz86 and h2oxide like this.
  2. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

Followed as I'll be getting the same case, GL!

3. juzz86

juzz86 Member

I priced up a Bykski setup at PLE and came out at $618 ex shipping. It absolutely grinds my gears that CPU-only 240 loops are over $500 - if you're not planning to do the GPU, stay with an AiO. There's no benefit over them in CPU-only loops after you pay for it.

The killer is bloody pump/res combos in Australia - they are $100 overpriced. There are no SFF D5 reservoir options so you're DDC-limited anyway, and I'd be looking at something like this Barrow unit, as opposed to the EK TBE / TBE VTX or Corsair units. They're way too expensive. Blocks too, generally. Absolute bullshit, but we keep paying so they keep charging.

Here's the PLE cart for interest: bit.ly/34d9eRy

The fans you'd selected are 28mm thick - about 3mm thicker than a normal 120mm fan. Worth noting. I'll vouch for the Tt Pure 12 fans I selected - on a low-noise resistor they still move enough air to cool well through a radiator and are very quiet. They are also reasonable at full tilt and daisy-chain together for RGB control. I picked some up from here and am impressed, they're going into service at the weekend. Lighting is adequate, controller is in the box. Cheap and cheery, but also has a cable for MB control.

I'd probably skip the XSPC tube toolkit and stick with a silicon insert and mandrel - I like the layout of the handheld mandrel in the XSPC kit but the (overpriced) EK ones would work also. These are fine if you mount them to something sturdy - just not too close together so you can bend full lengths without needing to worry. Go to Bunnings and get a tube cutter - no chamfering needed if you go this route.

The Bykski fittings with the blue silicon sleeve inserts are excellent - no chamfering needed and a far greater seal than the o-ring approach. I'm rapt with them, far more confidence-inspiring than some of the (admittedly cheap) others I bought.

museumman and h2oxide like this.
  4. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

Lots of good info in the above post. FWIW I came to the same conclusion as you juzz86 pertaining to the local pricing of pump/res combo's; OP look abroad if you can.

juzz86 likes this.
  5. radeon_freak

radeon_freak Member

I'm also with Juzz on this one, if you're going CPU only stick with an AIO unit. My brother has an EK 360 AIO D-RGB and it's a nice piece of kit and performs on par with a custom loop for a fraction of the price ($169 for the 240 last time I looked).

Also 1st time watercooling in a SFF case is going to be a nightmare especially with hard tubing. If you've never bent PETG/Acrylic before you are 100% going to stuff up atleast one bend so order what you think you will need then add another pack or two for good measure. It's cheap and best to have a tube or 2 laying about after your build than to stuff it up have to fork out shipping for another pack.

Another good cheaper brand I'd be looking at is Barrow. Been around for a while now and I've personally never had a single problem with any of their gear. You can also grab a lot of stuff off ebay locally from mydiyau.

juzz86 likes this.
  6. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

Yup, and if you're absolutely hell-bent (heh) on a custom loop, you can make your loop easier whilst saving space by using a CPU block/pump/res combo now that a few good options exist.

7. arasta

arasta Member

you can do a pump/res combo but you could also consider one of these:

being space is such a premium in those cases its another option that will give back (a little) space in your case....

and at the price... much cheaper than the ek kit

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Barrow-...114322299386?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

juzz wish id seen those blue sleeve ones ... only problem is id already bought 16mm tube and it doesnt look like they do them in that size :(

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    juzz86 likes this.
  8. juzz86

juzz86 Member

This is what I've got in my rig, and they're very good. I can't pull the tube out of the sleeve without a fight, they're lower-profile than both the double- and triple-ring Freezemod ones, and the finish is good.

I liked them so much I did the external radiator loop with them, too. I think with 2m of unbranded 14mm PETG and fifteen or twenty fittings I paid $88. I then paid another $30 for 2m of Barrow 14mm PETG - which was exactly the same as the unbranded stuff.

I'm happy with the 14mm, it's close enough to the 5/8" tube I like. I wasted a fair bit though - the loop only has three runs, but they were tricky to measure in.

9. juzz86

juzz86 Member

That Barrow pump/res/block thing has popped up a few times now, time for one of you fine SFF blokes to grab one and report back. Reminds me of the old Apogee from Swiftech a bit, bit more flexible though.

museumman likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    onggie

onggie Member

This is what I have noticed, blocks and pumps seem stupidly overpriced.

I will be doing GPU, just not tos tart with.

Yes, was only looking at DDC as I have size constraints.

Thanks, this was similar to what I specced up on PLE in terms of price.

The NF-A12-15 are 120mmx120mmx15mm, so they are slim fans. So note sure if you were looking at something else?

I have bent some acrylic before, not for a PC. This is how I would do it, so thank you.

Good to know, I'll dig around for these.

Exactly what I'll be doing, I'm no stranger to AliExpress and there looks to be three main shops that sell this gear.

Will be doing GPU, just not initially.

I have bent Acrylic before, not for a PC. But I intended to buy more anyway. Cheers.

Yep they have a bit, but I'm better ordering everything from AliExpress in one it and get a discount with the money I'm spending.

I did think about it, but I like the aesthetics of the larger res and only purely aesthetics purposes. So yep making my life difficult.

All in all, thank you everyone for your suggestions. I'll spend the day putting stuff into my cart on AliExpress and working out what I need and pricing. I shall report back!

11. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Yep, the EK fans you linked were what I was referencing there mate.

Looks like you're all over it, keen to see how your cart looks :thumbup:

12. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Scope out the AegirX store on aliexpress if you go down that route. Can choose Phanteks, Bitspower, Barrow and Bykski gear all in one place and won't dick you around like a few others.

13. OP
    OP
    onggie

onggie Member

So here is the first build, parts all bought from "bykski Official Store". This does not include shipping as I'm waiting to hear back from them about combine shipping cost. I will also source coolant/fans/power locally, as my local shop has all these. Description's link to the AliExpress page for anyone interested.

Radiator
    B-240RD-M 28mm Thick Copper 240mm
    $ 34.15

Pump/Res
    CP-PMD3COB-X-CT60 Pump Reservoir DDC Combo 3pin 156mm
    $ 93.35

CPU
    CPU-RYZEN-X-MC
    $ 70.44

Tubing
    4x OD12mm Acrylic 500mm Tube
    $ 46.82

Fittings
    4x OD12mm Hard Tube Fitting Hand Compression Fitting G1/4''
    $ 31.10

Tools
    Silicon, Bending Mould, etc - I don't really need this and the cutter won't work on acrylic, but the moulds I guess are a nice to have and it's cheap.
    $ 16.46

Total: $ 292.32 (with standard shipping is $331.92)

Thank you, I haven't come across this shop, will spec something up now.

nitro_jawt, juzz86 and h2oxide like this.
  14. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

Nice one! Giant price diff.

15. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Tidy :thumbup:

Just make sure you haven't got any alloy in the flow path on the DDC block - it doesn't look like it from the propaganda shots, but they do have a few alloy D5 units which have coolant contact - although revised out later I believe.

16. OP
    OP
    onggie

onggie Member

This is the problem I had when looking at AegirX, no pump/res combo in something smaller than 150mm high and if I did a separate pump, everything was alloy. I'll dig a bit further, thanks for reminding me.

EDIT:

Radiator: Copper
    Pump/Res: ABS Resin + PMMA + Aluminum alloy (not in contact with coolant), then says a bit lower compatibility "Aluminum or Non-Aluminum"
    CPU Block: Electroplated High Purity Copper / Clear Acrylic

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  17. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Oh I didn't see the specific mention of no coolant contact, you should be right. It does look to be acetal right through to the impeller, I just couldn't make out the outside threads. It'd be more machining trouble for it to be alloy than acetal - the sealing would be tricky. Makes sense! :thumbup:

onggie likes this.