Slight pauses in some games...

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by jvalente, Nov 20, 2017.

1. jvalente

jvalente Member

Hi All,

Getting some strange issues lately and I’m not sure what’s causing it. But in some games I get random 1 second FPS drops.

They aren’t consistent to worry me too much. But more noticeable now.

Done the virus/malware scans with anti bytes and even tried defragging.

I noticed it in Normandy Steel Division 44 (fucking love that game) It was so bad I had to turn off my overclocks on my GPU and the problem lessoned back to acceptable standards.

My temps are 72-80 on my MSI gtx 1080. That too high? On my 5820k 40-50 degrees at load.

I also notice it in dead by daylight (if anyone plays it when I go to the blood web and move up a rank it usually happens).

Am I nitpicking?

Specs as below.

Normal on gear or a problem?

I am gaming on ultra wide btw....

2. Sledge

Sledge Member

Windows 10 Creators update maybe?

3. aftahours

aftahours News Monkey

Have you tried running that particular game off SSD?

4. OP
    OP
    jvalente

jvalente Member

What does windows 10 creator update do?

Both games running off ssd

5. congoh

congoh Member

It's the latest win10 update/patch. It can cause some system to stutter (or behave in manner you described).

6. OP
    OP
    jvalente

jvalente Member

Yes I think it’s the culprit since I updated my windows 10.

Thanks for the tip.

Known issue for the last 6 months?! Farrout

7. ChickenSausage

ChickenSausage Member

Some people were reporting stuttering with driver version 388.10/13....the newest one fixes it.

8. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

If you turn down the details/resolution does it still occur? Could be cpu related.

Forza did that to me, slight stutters every now and then with graphics set to high or low. Was too much for my ageing cpu.

9. Roscosity

Roscosity Member

It could be the windows update, or MAYBE thermal throttling (much less likely)

see if your clock speeds are affected at the same time a the FPS drops if you can using your software or a benchmark

10. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Latest nVidia drivers?

11. mgrobins

mgrobins Member

There were multiple reports of NVidia drivers being at fault for this for the last 5 months or so.... I rolled back my GPU driver to 165 or something similar and it removed the issue in a couple of games I play that were notably worse with a recent driver. I have blocked creator's update on Win 10 too.

I still get periodic weird drops with my 1080Ti - like a giant stutter every now and then (it presents the same as some older games did when they would have a massive texture load). Interestingly I had zero problems with my 9 series Titan X .... it's only been present since I put in my 10 series card and updated drivers.

I'm running the GPU stock so don't expect it's a problem with it (temps are very low and I don't see throttling).

I cant find the really old drivers on the NVidia site anymore. If I can get a hold of some I will try to find out the latest driver that did not do this and test it for a bit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/6oubum/nvidia_confirms_stuttering_fps_drops_lag_problems/

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  12. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Microsoft have acknowledged ongoing game display "issues" with the Creator version as well - this for example. And this, and this... initial complaints look to have started back in April.

And if you're keen this is might help highlight the issue(s).But 148 pages of posts so far makes it more than bored bedtime reading methinks.

13. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

most of the stuttering i've encountered is caused by the game being badly programmed.

14. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

In my experience it's usually down to a dud windows install then drivers. Obviously try clearing your drivers and installing the latest first.