Slimline/console-sized Mini-ITX cases

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by frnak, Oct 24, 2018.

1. frnak

frnak Member

Looking at doing a slimline console sized ~7-10L Mini-ITX build with full sized GPU on a PCIE riser for gaming. I'd like a conservatively styled case without too much external plastic and no flashy RGB lights/clear panels etc. Like a set top box.

There are a few expensive indie cases which provide this (e.g. Skyreach 4 MINI, DR ZĄBER SENTRY etc) but my budget is closer to $200.

Silverstone has a few slim cases but I've never been impressed with their build quality and they are not conservatively styled.
    So far I've found the Fractal Design Node 202 but it does appear a little plasticky. It looks to be the best choice so far.

Anyone have any other recommendations?

2. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Skyreach is your only real option, the Node 202 is massive, like bigger than Xbox One big. Even the Sentry is bigger than Xbox One.

People always say "PC is cheaper than console" but then forget you gotta pay $500 for the case+PSU :)

Borat likes this.
  3. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

The non-gamer versions of the Silverstone cases (ML07 / ML08) are probably your best bet - they're very closely related to the gamery RVZ01/02/03/FTZ01 but without the bling.

Of that lineup, ML07 and RVZ03 are the least scarring to my eyes, but YMMV.

Node 202 isn't particularly compact but if its footprint fits where you want to put it it's not a bad option - it's one of the only slim cases that can take a halfway decent CPU cooler, for starters.

If you don't actually need the flattish console form factor I'd go with a sandwich layout case - the DAN A4-SFX is probably the nicest of those, but the clones are much cheaper.

4. Borat

Borat Member

+1 for Skyreach, but PSU option is limited. I've waited 3 months for a custom PSU order from China, but I have more patience than others.

5. Tazor

Tazor Member

+1 for Skyreach, thought I'd add that I use a Dan A4 and have an Everki Beacon Backpack which came with a Game Console Sleeve, bought it back in 2013, and the Dan fits perfectly in the Console sleeve and in the bag with plenty of space around it for other accessories.

Personally I prefer the Dan to console style flat cases as it's, IMO, more efficient packaging in the 7.25L form factor with better GPU support and it's a gorgeous and very understated design.

Again, going for this kind of build usually requires spending a little more to get the right case for the job, as most mainstream cases have extra bulk to make them more compatible with a larger range of components.
    Skyreach and A4 are purpose built to be as compact as possible, compatibility be damned.

Borat likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    frnak

frnak Member

Yeah I've been staring longingly at the Skyreach. But $200 USD plus postage puts the sky out of my reach. There are more sandwich style cases to chose from (such as the Dan A4). I might have to give up on the slimline dream.

I was having a close look at the 7.2L ZS-A4 which also has a nice conservative appearance. Might be the way to go. There's even an incredible 3.9L external PSU variant. :leet:

7. Tazor

Tazor Member

Ah yeah these guys xD I've seen them, they're not bad from what I've read so not a bad way to go.

8. OP
    OP
    frnak

frnak Member

Yeah it looks like a sweet no-frills aluminium case. Bit tricky to get, I'd have to buy through a Taobao agent. Another sandwich case option is the Kolink Rocket. Bit bigger (9.6L) but apparently well received. About $290 AUD plus postage.

9. Tazor

Tazor Member

Can recommend SuperBuy, should only take a week to 2 weeks to arrive as the agents work fast.

Just ordered some VLP RAM and an 8700T through them and they worked over the weekend meaning I ordered Friday and it shipped today with 3-5 day DHL express meaning Friday delivery at the latest.

https://www.superbuy.com/en/page/bu...htm?id=545250722223&nTag=Agent-product-taobao

$150 ain't bad for the quality.