1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Slope soaring on the gold coast

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by RC_StEvE, Nov 13, 2004.

1. RC_StEvE

RC_StEvE Member

hey guys, any rc flyers interested in slope soaring should check out tamborine mountain or beechmont lookouts. pm me if you need details. we were up for hours today combating/soaring etc. the more people we get up at once the better it is.make yourself up a wing, cost ya about 100 bucks and head on up :)

2. toxxic

toxxic Member

What exactly is slope soaring?

3. rowdy2008

rowdy2008 New Member

slope soaring in qld

hi im located in logan and im looking for a good slope for flying like mt tamborine ive been there once but just wondering wot is the best wind direction for it and if u know any other spots for flying i only got molded gliders no foamys so ifn u could let me know when u and the guys go out next id love to join u all. I only just moved up from syd so just tryin to find a few good spots for flying u can email me at rowdy2008@live.com.au if u get back to me it would be great thanks

4. fist4jesus

fist4jesus Member

Unpowered RC gliders.

5. Tapek

Tapek Member

Interesting concept, where do you buy them and how do they work? Do you just throw it down a hill and control it till it runs out of air lift then throw it down again?

6. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

Radio controlled flying Wings, although for the combatant types you generally dont want really expensive radio gear in them as they can get damaged as they fall to earth !!

HOld on : original thread was from 2004 !!!

7. mattski0_0

mattski0_0 Member

Yeah, I know, old thread, but thought I would reply anyway.

When wind blows directly (or within 30 degrees) into a vertical or near vertical surface it's directed up, this creates lift. Usually the lift area is out and up from the cliff / hill / slope that you're flying on. So you launch your glider straight off the cliff, then fly out until you find the lift, then turn left or right and run in the lift for a bit, then head out of it, or just hang around in it. At times you can have your plane essentially hovering in the lift which is quite spectacular to see.

There are heaps of sites on the net that go into much more detail obviously, but that's the general gist.

Planes are usually made out of EPP foam, it has a memory, can be cut, sanded, glued etc. I have got a few in the shed at home still that I should bust out one of these days. One is a flying wing which uses wingerons and a mixer to control it. The other is a p51 styled plane, so normal looking model, low wing though.

Because there's so much lift available to slopies the planes can be quite a bit heavier and therefore stronger than their thermaling counterparts. This makes them quite hard to actually break and if it does get broken it's usually a stripped control arm on a servo or something.

It's great fun, quite cheap to get into as well.

8. Suntzu

Suntzu Member

Holly Thread Resurrection batman!

I am in the Gold Coast and want to get back into Slope and some RC action. I used to fly slope in Canberra and it was a blast.

Any of you guys still active in SE QLD?

9. -AL-

-AL- Member

There are still guys flying in & around Brizvegas.
    Check out Rc Groups in the slope or DS section. There's a big contingent of Dynamic Soarers up there.