Slot Car discussion

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by k1ll3r, Sep 14, 2017.

1. k1ll3r

k1ll3r Member

Hi all,

Looking at getting into slot cars mainly to play with daughters. Unsure which brand I should go with?
    As I am just looking at getting into and really unsure how long it will stay around I think I will just stick to analog and not digital.
    Any tips on what to look for? Or even what to avoid?
    Budget is under $150 (would buy second hand if there is any offers)

2. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

If you're not sure what to go with, then stick to Scalextric. :thumbup:

First of all, should you like it and want to continue, it will be the easiest to get extra track for, and usually the cheapest too. The cars are compatible backwards and forwards. No problem running a 2017 car on a 1960's or 70's track. and vice versa.

Check gumtree/ebay for some sets, you can usually pick up cheap V8 sets that people only bought for the cars, then just get 2 cheap cars somewhere else. ;)

I assume you've seen Komm's thread:
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1192391
    he's probably the go to guy about all things modern slot cars :thumbup:

But even though he has the awesome digital set, the track pieces are the same.

If buying a used set, make sure all the track is kink and rust free unless you have a LOT OF TIME to restore it all. I spent a lot of 2015 and 2016 restoring a lot of older SCX, Ninco and AFX track and cars simply to fund the newer stuff.

If you go with an older set that has the classic tabs as seen here:
    http://www.homeracingworld.com/trackcomparisonsporttrackclassic.jpg
    Just be careful that the set works properly when you buy it, you'll get a lot more track for the money, but the effort of restoring and maintaining old track isn't always worth it so I would recommend a newer set with the 'Sport' track. Even if you get less track to start with, a coating of WD40 on the rails every now and then is a lot easier than having to worry about joins, and power drops and all the other problems that will come with sets older than about 15 years.

Hope some of this helped. :lol:

3. OP
    OP
    k1ll3r

k1ll3r Member

That is some good information thank you.

In regards to the classic vs sport track, is it worth just avoiding the classic? Think I could get something for under $100 for sport?

4. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I wouldn't say Just avoid the classic stuff, if you can find a good condition set or even a good condition SCX set (which is compatible) go for it, but a lot of the sets have problems that if you don't have the time or knowledge to stuff around with, it won't be worth it, or as enjoyable..
    I bought a bulk lot of rusty SCX track for $300 (and I mean BULK! about 4000 track pieces, 80 cars, and countless other accessories) which has the same connectors as the scalextric classic track. and getting it all working nice was a huge task but it was worth it in the end.

But if you can find a nice, complete and most importantly, fully working SCX set for $50-100, go for it
    something like:
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/butler/toys-indoor/scx-race-car-set-c2gt/1157307162

But you can often find bigger SCX track sets for a similar price

It's hard to recommend where to look with you being on the opposite side of the country to all my slot car dealings.
    Maybe see if there are any local clubs or slot car raceways around you can go to and rent some cars and track time. ;) as many of these places and regulars there sell and swap things all the time.

I think you could find something decent with sport for around $100:
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bed...per-car-challenge-set-only-no-cars/1158353495
    I have no idea how far that is from you (Like I said if you were on the east coast, I could recommend about 40 places from Geelong to Townsville that are good:D)
    If you find a set close, link it here, or shoot me a PM and I'll check it out and give you my opinion on it (and more importantly, how much to pay).

If you go sport, you're more likely to get as new or new track, which will mean basically no problems at all.

But if you go for classic track, you can use SCX track as well, and IF it's been looked after, there's no problems with it.. Scalextric even have adapter tracks to turn classic into sport, so if you have a super rare or discontinued bit of track you really like to make it into sport. :thumbup:

But that IF it's been looked after, is a pretty big IF. Any signs of rust, or any kinks at all (like it's been stepped on) Don't even bother.:thumbup: