1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Slot Car thread. If and or when in doubt, Flat out.

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by FIREWIRE1394, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vanne

Vanne Member

beaut updates guys, i look on in awe on your collections.

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  2. stalyoni

stalyoni Member

3. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

They look awesome, nice work!

FIREWIRE1394 and stalyoni like this.
  4. stalyoni

stalyoni Member

So where do I start...

I'll start with my latest build. Ended up buying that Area 71 R35 for a super good deal. Body is super flimsy though and I won't buy another one. Chassis front axle and rear axel I had to drill out due to the print and the front axle doesn't sit exactly straight but it's good enough. Slapped a Piranaha 25k motor in it and hollow slot.it axels and mostly slot.it running gear bar the pinion. With the high kV motor and tall gearing and lightweight body and chassis this thing moves...

Initially sprayed it white with a Tamiya ps27 spray can. Then put 3 coats of black acrylic. Then two coats of valerio electric blue colour shift paint. Found some Nissan decals I had left over from other cars.

I cut down a standard DPR chip and cut off the IR sensor and re soldered it on some wire so I could place it more up the front just behind the guide but keep the chip just in front of the motor so the weight is more centred.

Still need to add the rear window and spray the rear wing and interior and just put the finishing touches on it. My clumsy hands have once again gotten glue all over the front window and body. But meh... Nothing in this world is perfect.

Did a Datsun 1600 build that is still not totally finished. I'm having issues with wheel body rub and taking enough material off the rear around the axel assembly to allow enough clearance and not effect where the grub screws go into to lower or raise the rear wheels. I'm right on the border line on one side but need more room so I gotta figure something else out.

Body is a resin 3d printed one I got from eBay. Sprayed it at the same time as the A71 R35 with that Tamiya ps27 spray can. Added decals I got from Pattos place a long time ago. Used a scaleauto short wheelbase universal chassis for this build.

To be continued...

Last edited: May 20, 2024
    FIREWIRE1394 and Deftone2k like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I've waited a long time for this:
    IMG_20240608_165026160_HDR.jpg

Dick Johnson AU's go for between $200 and $250 in this condition.
    Pretty damn immaculate, and only missing the outer sleeve.

There's some other cars for me to restore too, but this one was worth the asking price alone.

All collecting, no racing at the moment.

Kommandant33 likes this.
  6. stalyoni

stalyoni Member

So I picked up the new slot.it Audi R8 as well as the new slot.it Nissan GTR Nismo this car is a retooling. The Audi R8 is brand new for slot.it. I have chipped the r8 and put a mag in the front of the pod and installed a slot.it spring suspension kit in the rear and a slotting plus ufork suspension kit in the front. Slapped a pair of quick slicks on the rear and it drives fairly good. Its very very smooth. The GTR I'm working on wiring the chip into as we speak and getting it to run well. The area 71 R35 is done but I really made a mess of the windows and certain parts of the body. I'm considering carefully peeling off the decals and cutting out the windows and redoing them in a thicker plastic you get from yoghurt container lids as the datto ones turned out pro. I used gel super glue on the windows and the issue was that it doesn't set almost instant. I would rather re do the windows and just tack it in with super glue and have to respray the body and buy more decals then the way it looks now lols. We shall see. The R35 is complete though and drives very well. I want all my cars to drive like there on rails though.

20240606_104902.jpg 20240606_104917.jpg 20240606_104948.jpg 20240606_105007.jpg 20240606_152536.jpg