Slow Cooked Beef Brisket

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by Madengineer, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

So I'm not normally one to go for cuts of beef like brisket, as I generally don't like the chewy meats, but I'm keen to see how this one turns out!

So I used a dry rub first:

Onion powder
    Garlic Powder
    Cumin
    Paprika
    Salt & Pepper

Combined with a beef broth & Smokey Bourbon BBQ sauce (Mcormicks) as I already had that in the cupboard and forgot to buy some BBQ sauce down the street to make my own.

I haven't seen a lot of good examples of this slow cooked (in a slow cooker). A lot of people opt for slow roasting. But I was concerned about drying it out, as it's not a huge cut.

Will report back how it goes! :)

koss likes this.
  2. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Sounds very similar to the one I made yesterday - https://www.recipetineats.com/slow-cooker-beef-brisket-with-bbq-sauce/

Turned out great. 4 hours in the slow cooker were more than enough then just finished it in the oven with a coat of the bbq sauce. Everyone that tried it said it was delicious. I would normally do it in the smoker, but the weather here has been terrible. Next time I might try smoking it for a couple of hours and then finishing in the slow cooker.

I did do a small piece in the oven as well (couldn't fit the whole thing in my slow cooker) using the same recipe and it did end up drying out a fair bit. Still edible, but the slow cooker one was much better.

Madengineer likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

So you only did it for 4 hours?

I’m aiming for 5 and it’s alreadt been in 4 and a half.

4. broccoli

broccoli Member

I'd do it for 8. The longer the better.

5. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

6. koss

koss Member

Brisket is tough, and high fat, needs a really long cook. I know some people that do it for 24hrs. and love the result.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  7. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

I did it for 6 on high, plus 20 minutes in the oven to get the crust.

I think the oven was too much. As it was dried out. Fell apart really well, but there was very little moisture.

8. Xepper_Pepper

Xepper_Pepper New Member

I've always found Brisket to be extremely hard to cook. I've followed multiple Youtube guides from channels that seem to know what they're talking about, but it never really works out well. I've always had much better results with Pork Collar/Butt.

9. miicah

miicah Member

Pork butt is the easiest slow cooker thing you will ever do. I like brisket because I can get smaller pieces for cheaper, hard to get a small pork shoulder lol

10. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Trying it a little different this time. Using a different cut of meat, and not going to finish it in the oven.