Slow DSL sync speed telstra coming to my house tomorrow

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by batman9r1, May 29, 2017.

1. batman9r1

batman9r1 Member

Hi OCAU members,

Apparently Telstra are coming to my house tomorrow to " fix a issue with port one blocking "

whatever that means?

recently my speed started dropping down to 6mb where before it use to sync at 20mb.

I believe my modem statistics are pretty good I never have drop outs.

SNR Margin = 13.6
    Attenuation = 23.5
    Output Power = 19
    Attainable Rate = 21076

current sync speed = 6138

so does anyone have any experience with this? why are telstra coming to my house?

2. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

How did you find out about them coming ?

3. Primüs

Primüs Member

Your lucky they are even coming.

If you are syncing at 6mbit and getting that speed, even if your attainable rate is 24mbit theoretical max, you'll have a hard time getting Telstra to fix it. I believe minimum spec now day is 880kbps? I could be wrong through but its around 1mbit, i.e. if you are over 1mbit Telstra generally wont treat it as a fault (unless there is packet loss, dropouts or some other fault condition).

4. OP
    OP
    batman9r1

batman9r1 Member

my provider ISP(clubtelco) told me they would come at 8am.

5. OP
    OP
    batman9r1

batman9r1 Member

I haven't had any drop outs, there are some errors but not many... maybe they are having issues at their end and are coming to sabotage my line? they thing is 8 hours after I logged the fault my sync speed jumped up to 20mbps and it stayed that way for about 4 hours and then went down back to 6????

6. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

Agreed. Last time I had a similiar issue they said anything from 500Kb/s & above is more then acceptable. They will prob come to your house and check everything then go to the exchange. I've had this issue pop up a few times and the issue has always been at the exchange.

7. .Morphio

.Morphio Member

8. caspian

caspian Member

it does sound like DLM behaviour, although there must be some ongoing issues with the line to drive the algorithm to such conservative settings.

I am surprised Telstra agreed to look at it while it still does 6Mbps though, unless there is a clearly identifiable fault condition that can be remotely detected.

9. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

In the WP thread linked, apparently the "top-hat" CMUX module falsely reported the line-fault to the remote tester and the tech found no fault - probably same will happen with OP.
    Changing his speed profile to "fast" got around the DLM slowing him down.

10. caspian

caspian Member

ah, that will be a tophat on top of a RIM. the RIM narrowband test heads sometimes develop a fault where they "lock" to a particular line (annoyingly, usually one with a fault) and then report that reading regardless of what line they are directed to. fairly easy to recognise if you know to look for it, but someone looking at one line only probably won't pick the behaviour until a tech gets onsite and complains that the test head readings are lying to them.

I used to spend waaay too much time fixing the bloody things.

11. OP
    OP
    batman9r1

batman9r1 Member

I believe the tec said something about this, so ill put this down as the correct answer :) good job.