1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Slow roasted ribeye

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by Amfibius, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

For a while I have been on a quest to cook the perfect steak. Some OCAU'ers may have seen my previous recipe in the geek food recipe section.

Well, I discovered a new method. This way is even better, you won't believe how tender the slow cooking method renders the steak. All the tough bits and fat melt away into the meat. With the above method, your steak needs to be tender even before you start, and if you cook a tougher cut of meat with fibre in it (like T-bone) ... well you will be picking the fibre off your teeth. The previous method gives you a very good home cooked steak. With this method, it is even better than restaurant quality. You have to dine at a Michelin 2 star establishment to get the steak texture as soft, and the flavour as full as this.

Just remember that the total cooking time is 4-5 hours (not counting time out of the fridge to bring to room temperature) so save this recipe for days which you have all day at home. If you follow the method exactly, and monitor your cooking temperatures as I have outlined, it is guaranteed to be foolproof.

Ingredients
    - Rack of ribeye steak on the bone, chine bone removed. Preferably dry hung for 3 weeks.
    - Sea salt
    - Pepper
    - Garlic
    - Extra virgin olive oil
    - Oven thermometer and meat thermometer <--- IMPORTANT

Method
    1. Night before, salt the steak and leave in the fridge. I use Fleur de Sel salt, which is a French sea salt. You don't have to use this, but at the very minimum use sea salt, not that powdered Saxa stuff. Lake Maldon pink salt is very good, but a bit expensive. Trust me, using sea salt makes a huge difference. Salting the steak the night before makes a huge difference.

2. Infuse garlic into extra virgin olive oil. To do this, roughly chop garlic pieces and drop into about 1/8 cup of extra virgin olive oil. Discard the garlic before using the oil.

3. Bring the steak out of the fridge 2-3 hours before cooking to bring up to room temperature. Rub the garlic infused oil into the steak at this stage. Here is a picture of my steak at this point:

[​IMG]

4. Bring your oven to 70 deg C. Monitor the temperature by leaving an oven thermometer in the oven.

5. Put steak on a roasting pan and put into the oven. Turn the steak every 30 mins, so that a different side faces up every time you turn. The steak will be evenly browned.

6. After 2 hours in the oven (or sooner if your oven cannot go to 70deg), insert the meat thermometer to check on the internal temperature. Continue flipping every 30 mins, checking the temperature every time.

7. When the internal temperature reaches 55deg C (about 3-4 hours of cooking time depending on the cut of your steak and the size), remove from the oven and cover in foil. Rest for 30 mins. By now the look of the steak and the smells will drive you mad with hunger but DO NOT skimp on the resting time! If you want a rare steak, remove from the oven at 50deg. If you want well done, remove at 60deg.

8. Heat oil in a pan until smoking. Sear the steak one side at a time until perfectly caramelized throughout. This is what it looks like at this stage:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Cover in foil and rest for another half an hour. Put your serving plates in the oven, and heat to 100deg C. Prepare some side dishes* while you wait.

*I have some recipes for side dishes if anyone is interested :)

10. Carve and serve one cutlet per person on the heated plates. Grind pepper on top and eat.

This is what the steak looks like at the end of cooking. Notice how the meat is evenly set from center all the way to the edge. With conventional cooking, the outside becomes well done while the inside remains medium rare. Also note that the juices did not run with carving - that's what you get if you rest the meat properly. You can even see how tender and juicy it is:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  2. scon

scon Member

As always, looks great Amfibius. Have you ever considered trying cooking something like that sous-vide and then browning the steak afterwards?

3. armers

armers Member

:shock:

My dinner tonight of porterhouse and slow roasted roasmary and garlic chipped Desiree's is nothing compaired to the sheeer awesomeness of that...

O
    M
    G

Drool

Cheers
    Armers

4. BobsYourUncle

BobsYourUncle Member

I'm going to try this... hmm, probably next thursday. The only problem is that everyone else at my place are blasphemers that only eat well done/med well steak. I guess when you cut it into steaks at the end you could throw one back into the pan...

5. OP
    OP
    Amfibius

Amfibius Member

If they like well done, then use a slightly higher temperature and take it out when the internal temp is 60deg. With a meat thermometer, it is IMPOSSIBLE to stuff it up :D :leet:

6. scrantic

scrantic Member

I know my oven couldnt get as low as that how do you think a slow cooker would go?

And secondly in your quest for the ultimate steak i have found a butcher near me that does 30 day aged Black Angus eye fillet that are to die for cook them medium medium rare bit of salt and pepper omg.

7. OP
    OP
    Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Slow cooker won't work, that is braising/stewing not roasting?

And can I have the address for your local butcher? I'll be up in Melbourne for a couple of days on business :thumbup:

8. knowsfords

knowsfords Member

You sir, are a cooktease.

9. scrantic

scrantic Member

The shit thing about renting is no choice of oven :)

I am a bit spoilt for choice actually. I work 5 Minutes from Johnathan's and about 5-10 min from the other two.

Jonathan's On Smith
    122 Smith St
    Collingwood
    VIC, 3066
    Australia

This is where I get my eye fillet its on the way home from work and good local green grocer next door too.

East Hawthorn Gourmet Meats
    496 Tooronga Rd
    Hawthorn
    VIC, 3122
    Australia

Havent been to peter boucher but from all accounts I have heard most of his meat is aged and dry hung just havent had a chance to shoot down there.

Peter Boucher
    551 Malvern Rd Toorak
    VIC, 3142
    Australia

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Looks fantastic, but a litle red for my liking.

Medium would be perfect.

11. ryangus

ryangus Member

Would go well on a bun with some bbq sauce...

12. OP
    OP
    Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Got it, thanks! Just about to leave the house and will be in Toorak for the next couple of nights before coming back home. I'll go check them out :)

13. scrantic

scrantic Member

Good luck and don't forget to report back :)

14. OP
    OP
    Amfibius

Amfibius Member

OK scrantic I went to Peter Bouchier's a couple of days ago :) Did the recipe again. This time I took pictures every 30 minutes (you have to flip the steaks every 30 mins):

[​IMG]
    Mmmmm, fresh steaks! Well not so fresh, hung for 4 weeks actually :p

[​IMG]
    Salted with sea salt and waiting to come to room temperature

[​IMG]
    ... in the meantime, infuse garlic into the olive oil. Just before going into the oven, massage the oil into the steaks.

[​IMG]
    Steaks after 30 mins in the oven at 70 deg.

[​IMG]
    After 60 mins.

[​IMG]
    After 120 mins.

[​IMG]
    After 180 mins (3 hours!). By this stage, the steaks had reached the correct internal temperature. So I took it out of the heat and rested it for an hour, covered in foil.

[​IMG]
    Steaks then finished with a quick sear in a very hot frypan, followed by another 10 mins of resting.

15. kukulkan

kukulkan Member

I'm going to have to give this a go soon, I'll test our oven on the weekend and see how low I can get it to go.

I've been considering trying sous vide in my breweries hot liquor tun, though it still seems a bit risky. Using the pump I'd have a constant movement of water and control to around +/- 2 degrees.

16. scrantic

scrantic Member

Looks sensational, Can you report back on the meat and what you thought of the Butchers?

17. OP
    OP
    Amfibius

Amfibius Member

scrantic I know that the meat I bought was grass fed yearling, aged 4 weeks. I should have asked more questions but I was not in a fit state after completing a night shift!

Anyway, I stuffed up this steak by cooking it beyond medium rare. I was surprised, because the meat thermometer indicated the correct temperature. I got suspicious, and decided to test the meat thermometer later on some hot water. I have two meat thermometers - and one was out by 5deg C!!! That's the difference between medium and well done. I'll be getting a new thermometer this weekend. The photographs still look good though ;)

So I can't really comment with any fairness on the quality of the meat. All I know is what I saw before the meat was cooked, and you can see for yourself. Compare the meat in post #1 and #14:

[​IMG]
    Geelong butcher (Highton Butchers)

[​IMG]
    Peter Bouchier butcher

You can see that the Peter Bouchier steak is paler and more neatly trimmed than the meat from my local butcher. The pale colour is not the photography - it was almost veal-like. In fact when I got home I wondered if I had bought veal!

As for the butcher themselves, my eyes popped when I saw what kind of produce they had. Not just the usual selection of meats, you can also get real Iberico Jamon ($49 for 100g!!), foie gras in various forms, and several exotic spices. They managed to fit quite a lot in a small shop. Worth a visit. I'll be back in Melbourne tonight, and will make an effort to visit the other butchers you mentioned :thumbup:

18. scon

scon Member

The fat on the second rib eye's looks great, nice and creamy, with no yellowness at all. Kind of hard to compare the two though with those photos as the top one has the oil rubbed in with the second in its virgin state.

Yeah, all looks good. You can't buy fresh fois gras in Australia, can you? Only stuff in cans?

19. troopa

troopa Member

Just out of curiosity.. How much does a piece of meat like that cost?

20. OP
    OP
    Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Yeah scon - the foie gras was in jars and cans.

troopa, both butchers sold for roughly the same price - $30/kg in Geelong, $34/kg in Peter Bouchier.