Slow VPN speeds

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Rusty X5, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

Ok, so everything was fine for the last 2 odd years using my current vpn (expressvpn) was on adsl2 (12 d/ 0.6 up, now im fibre 95 down / 35 up, vpn was still good, good speeds no matter what country I choose. Now all of a sudden..my speeds are trash, down to 50kbs thru vpn..no matter what country I choose. I didnt touch anything, just happened when my vpn was unresponsive one day, so i had to reinstall...now it trash.

Got in contact with the vpn guys...tried different settings and such..nothing...so i did a full reinstall of windows (running win 7) thinking it might be something with it..nope, speeds are still trash.

Any ideas, maybe try a new vpn? Thanks for help

2. ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

Any changes in the encryption they are using? Different encryption methods can cause speed issues in VPNs?

3. OP
    OP
    Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

no idea..when you say encryption you mean the protocol they use? (UDP/TCP/L2TP)..i'll try them all again but dont think that is it.

4. ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

5. OP
    OP
    Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

going off this i need a new VPN service...not sure why though, i got a few mate and other randons that use expressvpn...np...still getting max speed..oh well

6. OP
    OP
    Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

MMmm..i tried a new vpn..my speeds still seemed to be capped at 60-50kbs...no matter what country, what type of connection i got...zzz any ideas?

7. ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

Are you connecting via PPTP or L2TP or what?
    Does the internet work fine to that same country without a VPN? E.G US Proxy > US site.

8. FOTW

FOTW Member

How are your speeds when not using a VPN?

im late likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

Doesn't matter what protocol im using, same shit, not matter what country I use...same shit..im capped at 60kbs approx

95 down/ 35 up....im trying to reinstall windows again cause i think i messed it up last time.

I tried a different VPN too before reinstalling...same shit, same speed...so it must be some setting on my window...hence the reason i'm reinstalling again

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018 at 6:44 PM
  10. sanousie

sanousie Member

Try manually connecting to the vpn, using windows connection manager to create the vpn connection and try connecting with out encryption.

11. OP
    OP
    Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

Nope nothing happens

I dont get it...i just did another full reinstall of windows..same fukkin shit. For the last 5+ years...i pay and d/l a vpn...press connect..works fine...now all of the sudden overnight its fukkin shit..WTF

12. miicah

miicah Member

What about on another device?

13. OP
    OP
    Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

True..i got my main gaming PC here..ill try it on it this weekend but what would be the verdict?.. Ok it works fine, max speed etc....do i throw my server PC out..hardware realated? If it the same shit...???...fukk knows?

14. ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

What are you even using the VPN for? Most things on the internet work just fine without the need for them.

15. OP
    OP
    Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

OK, tried another vpn, tried another machine, still no good..i got nfi what is going on....it still capped around 60-50kbs

Not sure it this a troll question or not...we live in australia..what u think we need vpn for?

16. miicah

miicah Member

Then log it to your VPN provider, obviously something has changed on their end.

17. OP
    OP
    Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

Yer, i'll have another chat with them but don't have much hope...considering i've tried 2 different VPNs and are getting the same speeds....maybe my ISP has throttled me on ip other then my own, is that even possible?

18. ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

Yeah they might throttle port 1723 traffic. Could also be your router blocking/slowing traffic.

Nothing actually. I've used the internet over 20 years now, and never had a need to use a VPN (except for logging into client sites to RDP/remote).

19. cvidler

cvidler Member

yes, ISP's can throttle VPN traffic based on a number of tell tale signs, typically they only do port blocking, as it's easy and catches 99% of users, but there's more sophisticated methods, that cost more, in terms of performance/hardware needed, and actual $, so it's not commonly used.

if your VPN provider, has the option of connecting via a custom port number- try that, if that works, your ISP is throttling you on the generic port numbers.

20. OP
    OP
    Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

OK..so chatted with vpn peeps for like 3 hours today...eventually found out it was my AV (microsoft essentials) blocking it..so we fixed that...but that was on the gaming rig (was using as test trail)..so it was working, we dc the chat, few hours later i tried same methods on server PC to fix problem..nope nothing..same shit, then I jump on gaming rig to check it again...and its back to shit again..then jump on another server, goes up to 1mb, stays for a bit...then back to shit again....I reckon my ISP throttling me..might call them tomorrow..might be going back to telstra lol. I'll try again with the vpn guys before that but...fml this is pissing me off :(. Im not even d/ling that much..only been on the fibre for a few months, maybe d/led like 500gb a month..was smashing near 1tb on the adsl2 a month before this..sad..fml