1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

small business server

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by lenjet, Apr 2, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    lenjet

lenjet Member

I was never debating this... I was debating the monthly cost surety. My issue with Exactal is they have half baked their cloud system, 2 months since release notes no documentation is available on how to roll it out. I am not going to guinea pig the system, i will let someone else dive in and test it all out.

Ahh i never said I was going to build it. I was asked if I had ever built one i said yes and said it was irrelevant. I was merely picking the parts list so I could convey what I want need. That point seems to have been missed by the high and mighty here.

Well the the rules of this forum are out of date. Clearly the answer to any question anyone will ask here is "cloud" and no matter how small or big your business that is the ONLY answer... in fact shut down the whole forum, I mean we have peaked by the sounds of things.

no. I figured licensing is going to be relatively similar give or take so I kept it out of the equation, like I kept the other backup NAS etc out of the equation. The killers are; $1570 to add the second CPU and $2,282 for each 960GB SSD.

yeah it is... well according to Kingston it is :rolleyes:

meh, least of my worries... i'll take it down if it offends you that much :rolleyes:

2. bcann

bcann Member

If you ever pay RRP for what is on the dell site, i'd slap my account manager and then you. There is the difference between what dell advertises it for on their website, and what you will pay when you ring them up, and it can be HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE difference. The recent server i quoted on the dell website was the better part of $35K, what i paid was $20K only because of bloody MS Datacentre Licensing and Core CAL Count.

Look you can whitebox it if your small enough and you want to dick around finding parts, thats your perogative, personally i' a sole support IT guy, i got better things to do and maintain on my 200 odd user sites.I like the fact i can scream down the phone at dell and < 4 hours later its someone elses problem to fart ass about with a dodgy cpu/ram/mobo/psu/whatever.

I used to see the value in whitebox brand stuff for businesses, but like spam filtering for exchange in exchange, ditched that a long time ago because i value my time and that of the business i've been employed to keep ticking....

lenjet likes this.
  3. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

YMMV is the crux of the matter; most of the people in E&BC have seen what happens when the 'mileage' comes up short. This is what we're "upset" about (although I think 'cringey' is a better description) because we've seen it all before. It's great that your business hasn't gone down in flames yet and there are plenty of other businesses doing exactly the same thing. However, asking "Is this a good idea" and then pretending that responses to the tune of "NO!" are simply due to people being butthurt/insecure is pretty foolhardy.

"Penny wise, pound foolish" is the catchcry of many an 'IT' deployment in Oz.

Gonadman2 and lenjet like this.
  4. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Yes
    Probably
    Risk Management, Cost/Benefit.

How many people do you employ?
    How much do you pay them?
    What guarantee of parts availability do you have for your whitebox?
    What is your risk appetite?

I don't care if you whitebox, as long as you acknowledge and accept the risks of doing it... $9K in lost productivity gets eaten up pretty quickly.

5. cvidler

cvidler Member

There's no high and mighty here, just lots of people who's business and jobs are enterprise IT - in various guises, in house support, MSP operators, software vendors, hardware vendors etc. And we're all saying what you want to do is not a good idea - we've all seen what happens when something is done on the cheap (in either, planning, or execution) and know how much it costs the business in real $ terms for staff and/or customers being unable to do business.

Take our advice, as learned experience, not just picking on your idea because whitebox = bad, big name vendor = good. Building your own still has it's place in enterprise IT, if you want to do something cutting edge, it's unlikely any big name vendor has a solution for you. You're not doing anything cutting edge.

We also understand small business dont have huge buckets of money to spend on IT - all the more reason to do it properly the first time. A high initial outlay is much cheaper than having to re-do things later because the first solution wasn't fit for purpose.

We don't want to see another small business go down the drain because they cheaped out on their infrastructure.

If you're worried about the cloud option provided by your vendor - talk to them about it, you may be able to negotiate some heavy discounts acting as a beta user. I don't know about Exactly, but the place I work for works very closely with our beta customers and the discounts are 100% during the beta period. A good beta customer is valuable to a vendor.

6. Gonadman2

Gonadman2 Member

Don't for a second think that my "this model works" comment is stating that it is an industry standard - I would much rather have an experienced IT guy come and set everything up, make sound business decisions on hardware and maintain the system so that it works flawlessly. That would be ideal. Unfortunately with the amount of work going offshore (in our industry anyway) we have to realise efficiencies against very low cost centres and one of those efficiencies/cuts is IT. Coming across all condescending and saying that it doesn't work is wrong, it just attains a higher risk. These risks can be mitigated to an extent, you don't have to use $15k servers if a $5k server will do. It is just a tool, like a phone or a piece of software. It can be replaced, we can undertake work-arounds if things don't go to plan.

We're fortunate in that everyone is contract based, if it fell over today, we can just send everyone home. Another 'efficiency' in order to compete.

7. taldoren

taldoren Member

No one is really saying that, what they are saying is x/10 times it bites ya on the ass hard, and ends up costing much much more overall, not to mention the shitstorm that also ensues.

Gotcha, missed that part. After to many times getting bitten, policy was for client to get proper gear (thru us or not we did not care) + at least NBD support and then we could talk. Nothing like $200+/hr billable running all over the fucking city getting parts etc.

8. Dre_

Dre_ Member

You keep saying that word... efficiency... I don't think that it means what you think it does...

Just curious, how are you supposed to "compete" when everyone got sent home because nothing is working?

9. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

You just hire more contractors, because people are just a resource, and provide no value, other than what you are paying them for.

freaky_beeky likes this.
  10. wwwww

wwwww Member

If your goal is to spend more on maintenance than initial cost, why not just go second hand enterprise gear?

11. NSanity

NSanity Member

Fred Nurk, ir0nhide and Soarer GT like this.