Small NAS = HP Micro Server

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Stanza, Sep 21, 2010.

1. dav3

dav3 Member

Interesting.... I just got a call from Expeditors International confirming I'd be around tomorrow when it gets delivered :thumbup:

2. Mungoman45

Mungoman45 Member

Yup :D

It'll get here eventually. I'm not surprised it's taking longer than others, as they ordered 1st. I didn't decide to grab another one until the later end of their Micro-firesale-server frenzy :p

3. fido666

fido666 Member

So did you use the OAC.... reference number? Was it the Consignment button or the Reference one you selected? I can't locate my shipment on the site, just wondering if I'm doing it wrong.

4. FarZK

FarZK Member

God damnit my email never got replied to and now this :upset:

5. RoSWeLL

RoSWeLL Member

I orginally sent an email but realised it's just quicker and easier to secure it over the phone like everyone else was doing, unfortunately some people still missed out and some people came too late again.

I'm sure some people will get sick of them and they will end up on here for a similar price point or less over time.

6. arytel

arytel Member

I did the email, but thought again in the morning and called. once the cc details are in the system and you have a receipt it is done. Happy I did that now.

On another note, mine exited customs last night, shouldn't be too long now.

7. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

I did use the oac number.
    Your package will have to of been picked up by tnt before it will show.

8. fido666

fido666 Member

In that case it seems my package is still sitting at Tullamarine :-(

9. Goonit

Goonit Member

Mine isn't showing on the TNT site, it cleared customs yesterday early afternoon on the EXPEDITORS site. LAME! :p

Just bought all my parts today, couple of hdds, ram, graphics card.. Almost twice as expensive as the box eeek :leet:

10. stumo

stumo Member

Got the picoPSU today and shoved it in. There is like 0.5mm clearance lol.

So anyway, its now 18W idle! Down from 36W. Standby is now 0W with an occasional pulse of 7W, instead of the stock PSUs constant 17W.

This is my setup:
    Stock 1GB ECC RAM.
    OS is Win2k8 server R2 on a 2.5" 250GB 5400rpm laptop drive on internal SATA port (modded BIOS).
    Single Seagate green 2TB drive in the drive bay cages.
    Gigabit LAN, Headless operation.

So will take max of 2 years to pay for itself if electricity prices stayed at current levels, which is unlikely. And its silent too. I am happy.

EDIT:
    I got 2 of these for best offer of $72, so $95.99 shipped, so US$48 each...
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=160430881717
    Its an 80W picoPSU with a 60W 12V AC adapter.
    You can probably do better getting a cheaper/better AC adapter off eBay separately.

The DC in I have poking out of a gap in that hinged clip thing holding the pcie backplates in. I tweaked the corner of it slightly to allow a bit more room for the wires. Its all totally reversible and you could have the old PSU connected back up in no time if you needed to.

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  11. Goonit

Goonit Member

18W!! That's a huge step down from 36W, unreal mate!

Where's the best place to get picoPSUs?

Any plans for the free space you've now got from replacing the stock PSU?

12. Blinky

Blinky Member

13. stebie

stebie Member

As I've not heard anything, I tried calling Pdawg however he didn't answer (understandably looking at the time) however his voicemail box is full. And the HP IVR to speak to someone else just says the line is busy.

Hopes of getting one (original request was for 2) are diminishing... :thumbdn:

14. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

no doubt when you chase them up they're only going to sell you one unit.
    you should have received an email about this actually, if you have already been in correspondence to them via email (for shipping addy etc)

keep chasing them asap because the promos over and theyre actually short on stock now, so chase them up daily if you have to, to secure your one!!

15. stumo

stumo Member

I got 2 of these for best offer of $72, so $95.99 shipped, so US$48 each...
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160430881717
    You can probably do better getting a cheaper/better AC adapter off eBay separately.

Will probably just cable-tie the AC adapter in there for now, or just leave the PSU in place, saves having to store it away somewhere safe.

I'm pretty stoked with the result, its only 5W higher than my new Buffalo LS-QVL 4 bay NAS, so that box will be going on eBay real soon.

16. Goonit

Goonit Member

Cheers for the links, I'm going to look into getting one for sure! That's pretty damn cheap really..

I think once everyone gets there hands on their boxes we might see some applications or settings to reduce power consumption, there's gotta be some undervolting/underclocking options somewhere.. :D

17. g12345567

g12345567 Member

If you placed an order last tuesday or wednesday then you will definately get one. You just need to call and talk to sales, not enquires. I called this moring and got straight through to get my unprocessed order reduced to 1, processed and got confirmation email 15mins later. I'm guessing you ordered 2 or more. For the order to proceed you need to reduce your order to 1. As there are people who still had not got cofirmation untill calling sales.

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  18. Mungoman45

Mungoman45 Member

Huzzah - CC debit went through yesty and my order status was just updated to "Admin" The cogs are in motion once again :Pirate:

19. Lt. Sniper

Lt. Sniper Member

Since I had not heard or received a thing, I sent a polite email to Prashant yesterday afternoon basically saying I was just seeking an update to my order from the 18th since my CC had been charged. Prashant sent an email straight back apologising for the delay. He gave me a order number which showed the product was already in the hands of the courier and had been shipped(addressed to me in a box, on its way from Singapore) by HP.

Look guys, I suggest a little bit of patients, I suspect that a lot of units would have been sent out like this without HP actually getting to tell customers that they are on their way.

20. eug

eug Member

The $199 includes courier delivery from Singapore? Bargain!