1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Small NAS = HP Micro Server

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Stanza, Sep 21, 2010.

1. flugle

flugle Member

As mentioned above, the distie with them all has them for $199 ex.

That's $218.90 inc GST reseller buy (plus freight unless they order more than $1000 worth)

So if you see them for $230-$240 snap them up as that's currently the best deal.

2. Gruelius

Gruelius Member

second one that just arrived today is a new revision, all seems the same but internal cables are different colours and the hdd caddy's have NOn hot plug or something like that on them, but they are still hot swappable (was doing it at the beginning stage of whs 2011 install). PCB is a lighter colour too.

so now i have one with 5 2TB drives as a debian File server running md5 and this one with 4x500gb drives running whs 2k11 for my backups.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  3. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

yeah its interesting to note the minor changes in this new batch. its probably because unlike their surplus inventory last time, they've likely had to build more due to the demand of the price gouging :lol:

4. snowman

snowman Member

Just ordered one from Warcom :)

Looking forward to playing with one!

5. adante

adante Member

I just tried to boot from a centos 6 livecd with my shiny new microserver and it failed - screen blank and appears to hardlock (keyboard lights do not change when yamming capslock/numlock keys)

It seems beyond belief that this would be a systemic problem, especially given I'm sure I saw the centos logo prominently featured on the hp microserver site so I guess I am doing something stupid - has anybody else had this problem?

6. neverhadachoice

neverhadachoice Member

my microserver died after a few months. i still had my old media centre and thought i'd have to send it back so i was dicking about testing PSU and ram etc. turns out it has an onsite 8x5 NBD warranty so they'll come out and fix it. FFUUU--

anyway, details - i came home to find it locked up. doesn't post, HP light never lights up even though green status light goes on.

as a sidenote, the only other problems i had with it were some stuttering on 1080p content, which ended up being that the interlacing was set to none and i think i was watching 24 frame content. either way, setting interlacing seemed to fix it. using GF210, windows 7. tried with 1GB and 4GB of ram, no difference.

7. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

This is a bad thing, why? :confused:

8. neverhadachoice

neverhadachoice Member

i wasted six weeks dicking about with testing instead of calling them on day one.

9. rugger

rugger Member

Well, I ordered one from warcom on friday (for a friend, he liked mine but I wouldn't give it to him)

Seems to have shipped today .... not entirely impressed with $35 shipping, but meh, he pays for it.

Even at $270 delivered ... still a bargain.

10. adante

adante Member

uh, if I have a bootable hard drive plugged into this thing, how do I boot from the cd?

When I had a blank drive in, it would boot from the cd.

I installed fedora to do some testing, so the drive now has a booting fedora install. And I cannot figure out how to tell it to boot from the cd anymore. The bios provides no options to select a disc boot (only drive and lan).

I'm quite confused

11. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

you can select the boot priority in the bios.

12. neverhadachoice

neverhadachoice Member

Totally. Not impressed with $35 shipping? The box is pretty big, I wouldn't have expected to pay less than that.

13. rugger

rugger Member

Well, most of that not impressed part comes from being quoted $15 postage on the website, but being charged $35 on my debit card without consultation.

Luckily I was keeping an eye on it and replaced the overdrawn funds on the same day before the bank started charging me extra money.!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  14. neverhadachoice

neverhadachoice Member

haha! i see your point. well then, eff that :)

15. kambo_rambo

kambo_rambo Member

Hmm wheres the best place for the N36L? Warcom and Penta are giving me estimated total of ~$255 shipped

16. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

if you can pick up you save on postage.

17. adante

adante Member

ok, after the centos 6 fail I tried fedora 15. This also failed (booted cd and installed, but during the welcome-setup-user-datetime-etc it gets to the hardware profiling and then starts turning my display on and off endlessly).

So - anybody else tried fedora 15? success/failure?

18. miguelala

miguelala Member

I got SL6 installed with out any problems. It should be almost the same as Centos6.

19. kambo_rambo

kambo_rambo Member

Dang warcom not in stock. Where else can i get these

20. Ameel

Ameel Member