1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Small NAS = HP Micro Server

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Stanza, Sep 21, 2010.

1. gbh

gbh Member

I ordered form penta a week ago and they are stuffing me around. Guaranteed me I could pick up today, I went in and now they reckon Monday.
    Doing that all week.
    Don't waste your time.

2. Brett

Brett Member

If you don't need to adjust LVM stuff just do a text mode install.

3. kambo_rambo

kambo_rambo Member

That was close i almost ordered from them

4. rugger

rugger Member

I reckon warcom would be the best place to order from. I ordered and wasn't messed around with.

At least warcom is upfront about having no stock and there being a month wait.

5. FalconGT

FalconGT Member

running f15 fine ... KDE live

6. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

What pcie cards are people using for extra Sata ports?

7. bobrandom

bobrandom Member

IBM br10i with IT firmware

8. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Should rephrase. What pcie 1x card are people using?

9. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

I've never set up one of these little servers up before and I think it's time to migrate from external caddy storage to a NAS. If I was to get one of these HPs with say four 2tb drives, what would be the simplest way to start off with? OS and RAID wise? I have a lot of data which needs to be kept safe so that's a must. Thanks guys.

10. Dimtar

Dimtar Member

Depends on your budget I guess, I would recommend UNRAID though.

11. NickES

NickES Member

There should still be a few stores with stock in their own warehouse. We still have a few dozen microserver left in our warehouse.

12. rugger

rugger Member

(removed by me)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  13. NickES

NickES Member

Yep, that'd be the way to go. Get 4 x 2TB drives (Something like http://www.megabuy.com.au/hp-prolia...am-4-x-2tb-1-x-250gb-hdd-raid-01-p271083.html) for your main storage and put the 250GB drive that comes with the Microserver into the 5.25" bay with something like http://www.megabuy.com.au/scythe-sc...s-to-be-mounted-perfectly-in-the-p211503.html if you want to run the OS from it, or you can run the OS from a USB stick. If you want to run RAID 0 or 1 you can do that natively on the microserver but if you want what's effectively RAID 5 you either need a RAID card or use the Software RAID in FreeNAS, but you'll need to make sure you have enough RAM for it to work well.

I've got a couple of microservers with FreeNAS and 5 x 2TB drives in it and running the FreeNAS OS from the USB. Works quite well.

14. jutty

jutty Member

Also depends on what sort of read/write speeds your after. I am running unraid and reads are nice and quick but writes not so but I don't care about that as it's just for blu-ray storage media playback. I have 5 * 3tb drives and a 1.5tb drive gives me 13.5Tb of protected storage.

15. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Well either way I would need a few hdds and the Proliants $ is too good to miss out on.

Sounds like a plan!

Mate keeps mentioning raid 6 as 5 is crap.. I really need to brush up on the types of raid.

16. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

speed wise raid 5 and 6 is slower than say raid 0. also with raid 5 you lose one drive. sa you have 6x 3TB drives. your total storage volume is 15TB because the 3TB is for parity. in raid 6 you lose 2 drives. so in the same scenario you lose 6TB for parity.

the upside for raid 5 is you can lose one drive and still be able to replace (then rebuild the array) with no problems. in raid 6 you can lose two drives and you can still rebuild the array.

the crap part that people dont like about raid 5 and 6 is that you lose a drive or drives because parity. do these people think that parity does not take up space?

17. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

In other words, R5 and R6 give you most of the read speed of R0 but with much greater potential reliability.

18. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

well raid 0 is still faster as it does not have to write any parity whereas raid 5 and 6 does. upside to raid 5 and 6 is there is redundancy.

many dont even consider raid 0 as raid in the true sense of the word anyway.

Redundant Array of Idependent Disk

or

Redundant Array of Iexpensive Disk

I tend to lean on the first acronymn as there is nothng inexpensive about multiterabyte SCSI drives.

that focus i was making however is with RAID 0 there really is no redundandy whatsoever. if a drive dies. you lose all your data.

19. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

thought it was Internal Disk

20. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

never seen it referred it as that. what if they where external array? then what? :p