Small NAS = HP Micro Server

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Stanza, Sep 21, 2010.

1. dumpst0r

dumpst0r Member

was thinking of buying a dedicated NAS for $200, i think this is a better buy

$184.16 delivered from dessytek, about 50 in stock.

2. GoofyHSK

GoofyHSK Bracket Mastah

Code:
    % lspci -k
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS880 Host Bridge
            Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 1609
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 9602
            Kernel modules: shpchp
    00:06.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 2)
            Kernel driver in use: pcieport
            Kernel modules: shpchp
    00:11.0 SATA controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 40)
            Kernel driver in use: ahci
    00:12.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller
            Kernel driver in use: ohci_hcd
    00:12.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller
            Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd
    00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller
    00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller
    00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 41)
            Kernel driver in use: piix4_smbus
            Kernel modules: i2c-piix4
    00:14.1 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 IDE Controller (rev 40)
            Kernel driver in use: pata_atiixp
            Kernel modules: pata_atiixp
    00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 LPC host controller (rev 40)
    00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge (rev 40)
    00:16.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller
    00:16.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor HyperTransport Configuration
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Address Map
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor DRAM Controller
            Kernel modules: amd64_edac_mod
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Miscellaneous Control
            Kernel driver in use: k10temp
            Kernel modules: k10temp
    00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Link Control
    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M880G [Mobility Radeon HD 4200]
            Kernel driver in use: radeon
            Kernel modules: radeon
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5723 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 10)
            Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company NC107i Integrated PCI Express Gigabit Server Adapter
            Kernel driver in use: tg3
            Kernel modules: tg3
    (from the internet)

3. ThunderbirdMoz

ThunderbirdMoz Member

Would this thing run well as a HTPC? thinking of using it for playing full hd avi's and a squeezebox server at the same time. Would this thing be able to handle it?

What wireless card/dongle is everyone going with?

4. akashra

akashra Member

Click to view full size!

Yay.

All works.
    Removing the HDD from the SAS plane and replacing the CD drive (needed for install) with the 250GB that came with it after installing Openfiler works just fine.

5. ShaneHm2

ShaneHm2 Member

If anyone is upgrading their ram would they mind selling me the 1gb stick ? If so send me a pm :)

6. Gierke

Gierke Member

Samesies! If a second person is keen, pm!

7. ThunderbirdMoz

ThunderbirdMoz Member

Think I have it worked out. wireless router switch.. wham bam thank you mam.

half height ati card. wham bam thank you mam

os on a stick. wham bam thank you mam.

8. fnbeans

fnbeans Member

Does this run windows 7 ok? the HP drivers page only has drivers for windows server 2008 and red hat?

9. cacaw

cacaw Member

I just lost $175.

Thanks guys! :D

EDIT: Bought two of these. Might start a HA cluster lol.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  10. Blinky

Blinky Member

How do these AMDs perform when compared to either the Atom330 or Atom D510 ?

11. bobrandom

bobrandom Member

Meself and nearly everyone at work ordered one

Anyone got a link to someone thats selling cheap ram for these

12. cacaw

cacaw Member

ECC Ram is always expensive. Go for standard non-ECC 8GB ~82AUD.

Check static ice.

13. bobrandom

bobrandom Member

Anyone reckon that 8087 connector will work with an expander

14. koma_white

koma_white Member

It runs Win7 just fine. The only thing that didn't work for me was the graphics drivers. It's in compatible mode, and i refused to download a 200mb bloatware driver for the integrated graphics, for an OS that isn't going to be used for longer than 10 minutes.

... and forfeit one of the best things about this box? No thanks.
    If it's only a mediaBox or HTPC. Sure, go with non-ECC, but ECC isn't THAT much more than non-ECC RAM unless your using cheap nasty non-ECC.

15. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Why would you want to run a desktop OS on a server box? Use it for what it was intended for.

As a small-business product, I would expect it to outperform the Atom by a good distance. That's not to say I expect it to be a crunching powerhouse by comparison, but I would imagine there would be no visible lag like the Atoms tend to display when you do any degree of moderate processing.

I'll know soon enough when my order arrives hopefully early next week! I want to see how it performs as a MythTV Backend streaming HD media and as a budget Lotus Domino server. I'm also curious to see if it can handle the work of being a PS3 Media Server.

16. Ulan

Ulan Member

I'd be interested to know if this can be used as a NAS and HTPC simultaneously, and what OS would fit that bill (free or non-free)?

Also heard that it does not come with audio ports, so the addition of a low-profile graphics card with HDMI Audio out is one solution. Another is using a USB audio dongle.

17. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Well, for all intents and purposes, an HTPC is essentially a NAS as well, performing both functions to get media around. For example, a Windows based box would use SMB to share files out while a Linux box could use SSH, FTP, HTTP, NFS, or even SMB to make data available to clients as well as the protocols used by HTPC apps like MythTV and XMBC.

I would expect that it would perform far better under Linux as there are far fewer overheads. If you run Linux as a pure server with no GUI (boots to text console) and manage it either via SSH or remote web interface with tools like Webmin, then you're already one up on Windows which has to waste resources running the GUI on the box whether you want it or not.

I'll be making some further comment on this later once I receive my order as I intend to try a few things on it under Ubuntu Linux and I'll also be trying Windows out to compare as I have a number of small-business clients who are a mix of both platforms. I'll be primarily testing speed of access as a file server, its ability to do basic number crunching and just how much work you can do concurrently with other tasks.

18. peterz

peterz Member

Had a play with mine late last night, got Solaris Express 11 installed and a quick raidz set up. I was pretty impressed with the speed straight out of the box, it's much better than my RR2300. (never ever played with Solaris or ZFS before)

Great fun little machine, I'm loving it. Great not having a massive tower anymore, can put this thing anywhere!

Would love to look more into the whole HTPC/NAS dual usage too. mythv or something I've read..?

19. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

bought my ram (8GB). Now to wait till the unit arrives.. (impatiently)

20. ktmrida

ktmrida Member

Does anyone know if any 5.25" to 3.5" caddy will work in the CD bay? I want to be able to have the front panel on still not an ugly hole showing my hdd

i plan to move the 250gb to the cd bay as an OS drive just looking at the brackets now and ther eseems to be a few different ones

Can anyone confirm?

Would this suffice?
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Hard-Drive-M...65944843?pt=AU_Components&hash=item2c58a7ad0b

Also, is there enough power available to run 4 drives in they bays, plus the OS drive in the top? and does it come with enough sata cables ?

Just looking at what i need to buy before it all arrives?