Small NAS = HP Micro Server

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Stanza, Sep 21, 2010.

1. dav3

dav3 Member

Not everyone needs all that power though. Mine is just going to be a basic file server and download box, and maybe a HTPC somewhere down the line. It will handle all this fine (HTPC will require a $40 video card). My current socket 939 Athlon system does it fine, but I'd like something smaller and quieter.

Ordered mine Friday and and still haven't got a tracking number, wasn't sure if I was meant to get one

2. Mudhoney

Mudhoney Member

SQUEEEEEEE!!!

(mine is here)

purchased from HBO delivered from Dicker

3. Thrawn

Thrawn Member

I reckon 1.3 Ghz is just too slow for a real HTPC solution. There's always the odd video out there that cannot be GPU accelerated. I'd rather have the backup option of 3 Ghz+ of software decoding.

4. platinum

platinum Member

Second hand parts, (probably) a crappy looking full size case, uses 2x more power for an always-on box.

This has easy access drive caddies, 4x SATA ports without needing to by more cables/converters, small form facter which is good for making it a HTPC+NAS. Plus yeah full warranty and is 'server grade' (sorta, I know).

5. dav3

dav3 Member

As far as I'm aware Atom systems handle them fine, and these things seem to benchmark higher than them

6. ocskat

ocskat Member

7. cuahtemoc

cuahtemoc Member

Megabuy dude was full of shit - my unit ordered on Thursday afternoon arrived just now, so hopefully my other two ordered on friday will be here tomorrow.

8. Thrawn

Thrawn Member

Software decoding of a 1080p h.264 stream requires around 3 Ghz of Core 2 Duo class processing.

The problem is that not everyone encode to a profile thats supported by hardware decoding.

Basically any video that a cheap $80 HD media player box can't handle, a 1.3 Ghz CPU probably can't either.

9. oli

oli Member

Mine also came from Dicker Data

Can someone explain this drop shipping stuff please? :confused:

10. data180

data180 Member

anyone got a spare they wish to sell to a poor uni student? i should have paid that stupid 2.5 percent bullshit. :(

11. ocskat

ocskat Member

Doesn't the onboard ATI4200 suffice for HTPC purposes (provided that audio has been taken care of separately)?

12. silenthunter

silenthunter Member

VGA out only, most people will want HDMI out of possible (which should also take care of audio)

13. Jenx

Jenx Member

Onboard GPU only has VGA out. Anyone wanting to use it as an HTPC will most likely want HDMI (or DVI at least). No audio output either so something that handles audio over HDMI will be the go.

14. RoSWeLL

RoSWeLL Member

instead of the distributitor shipping to the a retail shop they can direct ship to the client saving in additional freight / processing costs for the retail shop.

A win win for all really.

I just wish I knew mine was coming :(

15. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

The shop doesn't hold stock, they sell stock straight from the wholesalers warehouse.

They order and have your shipping address instead of their shop address.

The product comes with a delivery docket, usually absent of any costing.

The retailer provides an invoice.

16. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

retailers ship items direct from the wholesaler to avoid having to double ship(ship from supplier to them and then onto you)

this also alleviates the cost of storage and maintaining things such as shipping accounts. it also means you can have a much larger range at hand without a large outlay.
    however megabuy is as far as i can tell wholely a drop shipping site because you get told how many shipments you will be getting, i.e drop shipping from two different suppliers.

I one bought 3 items, had to pay 3 lots of shipping because it came from 3 suppliers. combined shipping rarely works well with megabuy

pretty much is a cost saving initiative.

17. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

in retrospect, I weighed up the cost of $4 dollars (2.5%) vs getting one or not. but at the same time mine is still being processed :Paranoid:

18. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

I got my DOA one working. I thought to myself that rather than just wait for the RA process to have a look again. The mini sas cable appeared to be pushed in correctly even after re-seating. I had a better look and the cable ties were holding it pretty tight, pulling it away from the motherboard. So I gave it some slack and and noticed that the connector towards the door was able to push in a slight bit more, say .5mm if that. When I gently pulled on the cable it rises out of the socket slightly. I powered it on and now the drive is detected, every time. I pulled the cable slightly, powered on again and the drive's not detected. So the cable needs a little slack so as not to pull away from the MB as the mini sas connector appears to not have a great deal of tolerance. :thumbup:

19. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

that's similarly the same argument as whitebox vs prebuilt
    but at the same time this is a new machine, so second hand wise it would be under 100.

for the intention of the machine, it's not really required to have such a CPU at it's helm.

4 drive bays is more than enough for what one can ask of a 150 machine.
    not to mention it was specifically designed for it with caddys(non hotswap but you can only ask so much)

that and the support for ECC ram which is something you rarely see in anything but high end workstation or server setups.

the AMD cpu here has about the same performance has a 2.5-3ghz P4 era CPU, which is more than enough to achieve HTPC performance, anymore and your really not doing things efficiently(however HD content would have to be offhanded to a GPU, but that's not a big issue)

I mean take an xbox first gen for example, they made killer Home theatre PC's
    and they wern't every powerful in there own respect.

new all in one solution that is mass produced backed and designed by HP vs DIY built.

put it this way, if the just the case and caddys from this machine were say in a form that could fit mini ATX, how much would you pay for it?

20. 5p1k3y

5p1k3y Member