Small NAS = HP Micro Server

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Stanza, Sep 21, 2010.

1. SuperBeast

SuperBeast Member

Similar here. Ordered Friday night, confirmed on Saturday, attempted delivery 10:05am Wednesday. No shipping data or anything, been wondering if it was coming for days!

2. whzzz28

whzzz28 Member

Got mine today and threw in 4gb of DDR3 1333 i had lying around.

If anyone is interested, i can confirm that the cheap and nasty (Non ECC) Corsair CMV4GX3M2A1333C9 kit works fine.

Now to decide how to use it.

3. Error-prone

Error-prone Member

"So I can rip heaps of dvds and put them all in one easy-to-find place!!!! And you can play them over the TV easier!!!!"

Worked enough for me, the current solution of having a 1TB external drive plugged into a modem/router and setup as a network drive wasn't fast enough. :p

4. slobber

slobber Member

Funnily enough I made a mistake the other night and ordered the Seacrash Barracuda Green 2TB ST2000DL003 :o, oh well it will be interesting to see how long it lasts/performs

There are 3 or 4 ppl from Mandurah @ OCAU, Zzapped is one well known member

5. MetalPhreak

MetalPhreak Member

[​IMG]

Only ~3-4mm of clearance above a standard memory module. Even ram with small heat spreaders on them might be an issue.

6. clubbie

clubbie Member

Ditto to superbeast. Placed Friday night. Confirmed Saturday. Left Dicker Data on Monday delivered by startrek 10.30 today.

I was hoping to get to MSY today to pick up some disks and RAM. Oh well over to the owners thread.:)

7. blue_panther9_9

blue_panther9_9 Member

I think that's the one I bought of MSY.

Kingston KVR1333D3N9/4G. It's a low profile RAM non ECC ~$44, if im not mistaken. Basically half the height of the 1GB RAM that comes with it.

Good news is, I was able to run that with 1GB that comes with the server. 4GB+1GB=5GB

8. MetalPhreak

MetalPhreak Member

Did they beam it down to your door step from the Enterprise?

9. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

who is selling these now? cant find it anywhere.
    dessy tek took them down.

10. rob72

rob72 New Member

FreeNAS 8 crapped out and dropped me to a root shell on postinstall reboot. I'll give 7.something a go tomorrow.

11. kalamingo

kalamingo New Member

Hey guys, bought one on Sunday evening, and got it delivered today. Delivered from NSW to VIC CBD.

Need some advice from some pros as Im new to this. I just want this to host all my multimedia files and connect to my TV to easily view them.

1) Would XBMC + FreeNAS be a good OS choice for me? Running both of the stock 250GB hard disk or both via a single USB stick?
    2) Is the 1GB ram enough?
    3) What are recommended HDD to get? I read that the WD Greens arent good for this.
    4) What's a recommended GFX card to use?
    5) Im also slightly confused as to the difference between a NAS (FreeNAS) and a HTPC (XBMC). Am i making full use of this HP Micro server? What do you think i am doing wrong?

Thanks heaps!

12. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Ingram Micro have the 160gb hdd model listed, at over $500 :lol:

13. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Very easy.

Will be fine to get started, but if you are serious about media, you'll need way more storage than that.

As a file server for a handful of users, yeah should be.

WD Greens are bad only if used in a RAID array. As individual drives, they are fine.

It's a server, you should have it on your shelf, uh... serving.

NAS stands for Network Attached Storage. Its sole job is to store and serve files. HTPC is Home Theatre Personal Computer - a machine that is primarily geared to displaying or playing media. Sometimes people also use it to store that media, but some people choose to store it on a second PC stored elsewhere, ie: the server.

What you use your Microserver for is purely up to you. It can sit there spending most of its time being idle and being available for when you need it, or you can have it performing regular work such as running a web/mail/ftp server etc. There's no "right" or "wrong" way to use it.

14. kalamingo

kalamingo New Member

Thanks Hyrax.

Reasons why i want to put a gfx card in it is because I want to connect my tv directly to it and not depend on any other devices. It has DLNA but i dont know how that works and i dont think its as good looking as XBMC. My only worry was whether it is capable of all the processing power required.

I've got a 1TB hard disk from my desktop and plan to get a 2TB hard disk for all my media files, so i wasnt sure if i could run FreeNAS + XBMC on the 250GB stock hd and also put additional media files on it.

Anyway, got another quick question? Install freenas first, then XBMC? Or the other way round?
    Thanks heaps, sorry for the silly qs.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  15. Nasha

Nasha Member

Kalmingo:

Im not 100% sure that XBMC is supported under BSD (FreeNAS base), and i've not sure how well it will integrate with a FreeNAS install even if it is... By default FreeNAS doesn't even have a GUI, so it will take quite a bit of fiddling to get it to how you need it.

FreeNAS is a distribution, XBMC is an application. Don't confuse the two... You can't "just install" xbmc on a system, you need an OS first...

Not to mention, you then face the limitations of ZFS (FreeNAS filesystem) in terms of adding new disks, redundancy etc. It's not particularly something that you countinually add to, but rather "set and forget".

I think you might be better off going with a Linux distro of some sort, using NFS &/or SMB for your file sharing, and then XBMC for your Video output. Should handle it fine provided you add a VGA card.

What makes you say that?

16. HrdwrBoB

HrdwrBoB Member

Open offer - If anyone wants to sell me theirs, I'll give you $200 pp

Damn you dessytek!

17. clubbie

clubbie Member

No unfortunately it was delivered by truck. However the guy whom delivered it was definetely on the wrong planet.:lol:

Good pickup metalphreak.;)

18. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

I'm yet to evaluate that myself.

XMBC is an application. You need an OS installed first before you can install XMBC. FreeNAS is an OS plus supporting apps. You should be able to add XMBC to the mix, but I can't help you there as I personally don't use FreeNAS.

No such thing. If you don't ask questions, you don't learn new things.

They spin up/down in a manner the RAID sub-system does not expect, so they will generally get flagged as bad drives when things are idle, degrading your array when in reality there's nothing wrong with the drive.

19. HrdwrBoB

HrdwrBoB Member

See this URL for more

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-Limited_Error_Recovery

Note that it depends on your raid device, and that some are configurable to deal with this

20. rmuser

rmuser Member

Hey all. Have been watching this thread - most entertaining. I ordered from MB on Monday arvo with CC. Order still "processing" but no cancellation yet. Sitting tight not harassing MB or couriers but will be very upset if I miss out!

So I'd been looking for a NAS enclosure of some sort but was pretty unimpressed with the offerings particularly the high prices. Someone linked me this and I came.

Question I am asking myself and is whether I'd pay $500 for one. In my case for a DIY NAS but for other use cases, and there are clearly many, too. Are they worth that much? I think the answer for me is "yes" but obviously would be less inclined to impulse buy at the $500 mark.

And my follow up question is do any of you know of anything even vaguely similar < $500? For me the key features are low power, low noise, storage capacity and PCIe expandability.

Anyway, nice to be able to ask some questions of those of you who enthusiastically see the potential of this neat little box.

Cheers