Small NAS = HP Micro Server

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Stanza, Sep 21, 2010.

1. rugger

rugger Member

Hmmm, never had a problem with my WD greens under linux software raid (mdadm).

TLER is good for RAID drives, because it allows it to recover from bad reads quicker ... but if any of my drives did develop read errors, I'd replace it right away rather, rather then attempt to keep using it. Wouldn't matter what type of drive it is or if TLER was in use or not ... once it starts spitting out any read errors, it should be replaced.

TLER doesn't make a difference if you are not experiencing read errors on your drives. If you are experiencing read errors, the drive should be replaced. In a home environment, TLER doesn't make a huge difference.

Losing your RAID array over not wanting to replace a $90 hard drive is madness.

2. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

You wouldn't because mdadm is very tolerant of the WD Greens - it just waits until the drive is ready. The issue only affects some hardware controllers which get impatient.

3. rugger

rugger Member

That is fair enough then :)

I've had great success with mdadm over the years. But I'm currently finding hard drives too damn reliable and never really getting a chance to see mdadm work with drives that are failing.

Edit: haha, really tempting fate now

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  4. wleu

wleu Member

I ordered one on Mondey afternoon but it's still listed as Processing.
    Hoping it comes through.

I'm looking at puttin unRAID on mine.

5. ThunderbirdMoz

ThunderbirdMoz Member

Mine arrived today. I only got the "order shipped" status from dessytek and no tracking number. so if yours is the same and you only have webpage confirmation that it's been shipped, sit tight, you may still have a chance it will arrive

6. wleu

wleu Member

I'm probably getting ahead of myself.

Does anyone know the compatbility of drives > 2TB with this microserver?

7. rugger

rugger Member

From what I know, you can install and use them, but you cannot boot from them.

8. HrdwrBoB

HrdwrBoB Member

I got a full refund from dessytek, so if your order is still in, you're probably fine

9. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

and if this is the case, call startrack express, tell them its coming from dicker data and your delivery address, should be able to give you a con-note # and ETA for delivery.

10. bobrandom

bobrandom Member

TLDR anyone got any specific information if this product is EOL

11. Nasha

Nasha Member

Phew, ive 4xWD greens in my current mdadm array, so you had me worried there for a moment, thinking theyre going to die prematurely for some reason!

12. MetalPhreak

MetalPhreak Member

http://penta.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=479_552&products_id=54413

Stock Level: Discontinued

An alternative some people might prefer: HP Part # 506666-011

HP ProLiant ML110 G6 G6950 1P 2GB-U Non-hot Plug 160GB SATA LFF 300W PS Server

Going for ~$400. Not a bad price for what is basically a tower PC.

http://penta.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=479_552&products_id=30014
    http://www.hboutlet.com.au/catalog/06666-ml110g6-g695011-2gb14-sassata14-nocd-p-380963.html
    http://www.megabuy.com.au/hp-ml110g6-g695011-2gb14-special-200311-260511-p210943.html

RRP is just over $1k

HP Site: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/au/e...1-241434-3328424-3328424-3984625-4102763.html

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  13. cdis

cdis Member

Bah, dammit! Missed out again!
    Pity I had to wait until payday lol :D
    Did not think that they would fly out the doors of all retailers quite so fast.

If anyone (especially in Brisbane) wants to offload a spare one to me, I would be most appreciative!

14. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Is anyone elses PSU quite loud? Mine is making this kind of high pitched BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR sound. At first I thought it was the HDD or the rear fan, but I unplugged both and just had the PSU on and it's definitely coming from there.

It's quiet for a "server" but it's definitely not quiet compared to a normal/standard desktop PC... can anyone else confirm if this is normal? :confused:

15. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

Mine's pretty much silent... but I havent filled it full of HDD's yet...

16. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

Mine is silent. the hard drives being accessed are easilly louder than the unit & fan.

The only time I hear the fan is at BIOS post. after that it slows right down.

17. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Mine's quiet, even with a full load of HDD's. Definitely quieter than my other midi-tower servers.

18. bobrandom

bobrandom Member

No offense but someone that's not a reseller

And an ML110 or a ML115 is not a micro server

19. ics

ics Member

Just FYI, WD Green drives have a head park issue that impact on most linux based OS's. It causes the drives to fail early from what I've read..

T

20. MetalPhreak

MetalPhreak Member

Wasn't recommending that specifically to you, I just didn't want to double post. Saw it while I was looking for the microserver on penta's site. It's more so an alternative to those who wanted to build a VM/ESXi type box, or a more powerful media pc. Anyway, just throwing it out there. Seems like HP is flogging off a few different models of server cheap atm.

Sucks that these are EOL, because the closest thing is a $400-500 NAS, and even then your limited to the included firmware and (generally) "rubbish" ARM/proprietary cpu.