Small NAS = HP Micro Server

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Stanza, Sep 21, 2010.

1. bobrandom

bobrandom Member

Has hp indicated what the replacement will be yet, since I would more than likely spend about 500 a unit anyway I just don't want yet another ml110/ml115 or hell a dl120 I have heaps of them already

2. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Hrm can you guys watch the following video (no HDDs, bare system with 120mm running and PSU fan running, I unplug the 120mm about 3/4 the way through and there's no appreciable change in volume):

And tell me if something's up with mine or not :upset:

3. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

Yeah... mine donest make that noise...

4. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Sigh, time to request warranty on the PSU then I guess :mad: at least it's usable albeit loud...

5. GoofyHSK

GoofyHSK Bracket Mastah

Dessytek
    Ordered Friday night,
    Confirmed/processed/shipped Saturday,
    Delivered today (ex Dicker)

*unsubscribes*

6. Domokun

Domokun Member

So for a 2TB RAID1 solution, what drives are suitable? Apparently, the Seagate Barracuda Green drives have problems with firmware corruption, so the options are limited.

7. MetalPhreak

MetalPhreak Member

There's still a different model available for ~$500 with 160GB hdd and 200w PSU, although I think thats an older model (stock still available because it wasn't discounted). Some people have mentioned that HP are dropping it because its not entirely suitable for WHS2011 as Drive Extender has been removed (and there's no real onboard raid except mirror/stripe) but that doesn't make much sense, as it was marketed as an entry level business server.

There's also a 2.2ghz version of the CPU that AMD has, but HP isn't offering it as an option atm.

8. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

even the Italians caught onto it, 2 new listings today and higher prices =T

9. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

I hear the general rattle of my HDD's heads well over that of the PSU and system fans. If you face your PSU fan away from you (such as against a wall) how audible is it?

I use Seagate Barracuda Green drives and have never had a problem, however I am also using Linux mdadm across all my servers which is a very tolerant RAID system.

10. Domokun

Domokun Member

Would they be suitable for FreeNAS? I would like to order the drives A.S.A.P, but don't want to purchase something that is going to cause problems.

11. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Very audible. I can't even hear the HDD over the PSU. Also when It's faced against the wall, etc and I am standing about 4m away it is still very audible, enough to be annoying and enough to be louder than my desktop which has 8x 120mm fans in it (running at slow speed, but still, you'd expect them to be louder than a 40mm PSU fan if the PSU is idling/not under heavy load...).

I'm in an HP Instant Support session at the moment... see if they can send me out a replacement PSU.

Edit: Gah, waited 30 minutes to be told to contact them during business hours tomorrow... =\ Oh well they say it has next business-day warranty... so hopefully means I can get the PSU on Friday or at worst Monday next week.

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  12. RoSWeLL

RoSWeLL Member

Go with the Hitachi 5K3000s as they are 512k sector drives and apparently have better performance under nix / bsd arrays

13. HyRax1

Don't see why not.

And as long as you setup the start sector of your partition to be divisible by 8, you won't have any performance issues either. For example, Ubuntu will typically start at sector 2048 which suits both 512K and 4096K drives nicely - no performance hits with a minor sacrifice of about a megabyte worth of unsuable space at the start of the drive.

14. sschen

sschen Member

I ordered and paid using paypal last sunday, and just received the paypal refund today. Sigh :upset:

Oh well... I know this is a long shot but if anyone in Perth has ordered a spare unit, and is willing to offload it, please send me a PM. Thanks in advance!

15. HyRax1

For those interested, according to my meter, my Microserver is consuming 62 watts of energy in 0.25 amps while striping a new RAID5 array (mdadm) composed of four Seagate 1TB 7200rpm drives

Initial power up consumed a maximum of 118 watts.

I'll measure idle and active file serving load tomorrow.

16. cacaw

cacaw Member

Got mine.

Loaded with 3 VMs. Pretty solid so far. Its louder than I expected :\

EDIT: Its not the fan. Its the damn hard disks.

EDIT2: Nope. its the PSU fan. Noisy!

17. Domokun

Domokun Member

So which OCAU member is "stumo" who posted this on OzBargain?

18. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

haha, time to hunt him down? :p

19. Blinky

Blinky Member

Are they staggering their spinup?

20. HyRax1

No, sounds like they all come up at once. BIOS doesn't spend much time POSTing at all. HP Proliant logo, POST screen, quick flash of detected AHCI drives, 3 second pause for BIOS or alternate boot options, then boot.

Of note, it's taking an estimated 16 hours to stripe these drives. CPU load is minimal, but the workload index is over 1.3.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!