1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Small NAS = HP Micro Server

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Stanza, Sep 21, 2010.

1. MetalPhreak

MetalPhreak Member

Looking to add some more network ports to mine so i've picked up some of these broadcom PCI-e cards. BCM5751 is similar to the BCM5723 in the microserver already so it should use the same network drivers in linux :thumbup:

2. mirz

mirz Member

is there any advantage to have dual network port in home environment?

3. rmuser

rmuser Member

Get a credit card

Edit: or a debit card even.

4. rob72

rob72 New Member

8Gb of RAM and a couple of 2Tb samsung drives from MSY and I'm having fun learning ESXi.

I haven't had the samsungs working hard yet, but I'm still really impressed how quiet this rig is. I'll grab another couple of samsungs and a second NIC next pay to really pimp this ride!

5. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

from whirlpool.

not liking the sounds of that =T

6. antenna

antenna Member

Yeah, the horror of other stores selling stuff cheap. :confused:

(Thanks resellers, picking mine up tomorrow).

Oh, and the way to stand up against this outrageous under pricing is to buy up all stock and sell them for a similarly low price, obviously.

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  7. akashra

akashra Member

Direct connection for iSCSI to another device would be one use. I found some 10Gb cards too :p

8. Imitation

Imitation Member

Everyone loves a deal but he has a point. They would have sold just as many if they were selling for $220 a pop but everyone would have been a little bit better off making $50 a unit instead of $5.

9. mirz

mirz Member

can they both be connected to same gigabit switch to get better speed?:confused:

apologies for a noob question.:D

10. Midz

Midz Member

Meaning I should have purchased one to play around with and claim as a tax deduction.

11. ThunderbirdMoz

ThunderbirdMoz Member

so let me get this straight.. megabuy is bitching that other stores were selling it too cheap and not making enough money. So in turn they pick up all the stock in the country so that they could be the ones making the loss instead. how kind of them.

12. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

even then i doubt it was a loss.
    as far as I can tell they said they oversold and they are rationing stock so that everyone will get at least 1.

his latest post is just...well read it:

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  13. rob72

rob72 New Member

It's a similar frenzy as Telstra selling the Samsung Galaxy Tab for $299. Their first bite at $408 didn't do so well but at $299 all the geeks went nuts. $220 for the ╬╝server would have left a few of us going "meh", but under $200 and it's another frenzy.

Everyone loves a deal!

14. OP
    OP
    Stanza

Stanza Member

Yup sure mate, makes sense, ramp up the price to $380 and sit back and rake in the dollars.....

Pity it didn't work and backfired, as everyone jumped ship when they saw what you did... and went elsewhere....

Which left you with no option than to drop your prices again.

Price dumpers doing stupid shit? I think not..... there is however another word for them tho, and that would be competition..... which I guess you don't like :rolleyes:

15. gr8bob

gr8bob Member

Mind letting us know where you've picked your unit up? :)

16. antenna

antenna Member

Mine came from Dessytek - I had to have it delivered to a family member and will be picking it up tomorrow, sorry :).

17. NickES

NickES Member

Hey guys, Nick here from MegaBuy.

No, we weren't going to jack prices to $380, but we weren't going to sell at 2% markup either (which is what (the other company) were selling them at). People would have happily paid $180 or even $199 and that would have been a great deal at that price and the resellers (not just (the other company)) would have been able to make a double figure margin for once! Not only that, more people would have been able to get some as people wouldn't be buying 10 and 20 units in a frenzy! But, because a select few mindlessly put 2% onto their cost, they not only screw themselves, but everyone else around either. Sure it's great for those people that managed to get their hands on some, but not so good for either the resellers (including the ones who decided to dump the price) nor other consumers. And also look what happened... they dumped the price, but didn't buy the stock, so many people who placed orders with them won't get anything now!

So it's not competition that's the problem, but mindless price dumping. 2% above cost isn't smart. You only mark up 2% if you have no choice because other people are doing 2% and you have to stay competitive or you won't sell any (which is what we had to do in this instance). And yes, I'd rather it be my 2% then theirs and teach them a lesson at the same time. I don't think 5-10% is an unreasonable markup for all the efforts and I'm sure most customers would agree. Gotta pay rent and staff too u know.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2011
  18. gbh

gbh Member

which cards did you get?

19. OP
    OP
    Stanza

Stanza Member

Sorry Nick, wrong mate.

I and several other saw the price increase to $380 for our own eyes.
    anyways... was nice doing business with you whilst it lasted... but sadly I for one won't be back at your shop.

Good luck with your business:thumbup:

20. OP
    OP
    Stanza

Stanza Member

Sorry people,

I am asking Agg to now close this thread.

It was fun whilst it lasted. But I value OCAU too much. And would hate to see it shutdown for any period of time.:Paranoid:

I hope we all had fun and got some bargain in the mix.

I hope the online reseller learn that things if priced aggressively can make for busy times in their shops. And I sincerely hope they all learn from any errors that came from having to deal with a mad influx of orders in a short time. With payments from many a varied source.

All those who missed out on a nice bargain have their money refunded.

And all remaining orders are fulfilled.

Thanks

Over and out.:)