1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Small NAS = HP Micro Server

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Stanza, Sep 21, 2010.

1. NickES

NickES Member

No, u got it all wrong... We originally had a reasonable price on these at $200, but people started selling at $168.16, which is exactly 2% markup, so we dropped the price to like $172 to stay more or less competitive... They started selling like hotcakes... We went "hang on" that's way below what they're worth... Lets lift the price to see if these guys have some brains and lift their prices at least a little... So, we lifted our price heaps just to give them room, but clearly they don't follow what others are doing and just kept their price at 2% markup, so we went "well that's incredibly stupid", what if we buy ALL the stock in the country? Meanwhile we didn't want them to sell all the available stock at 2% while we were making enquiries, so we dropped the price to $172 again (notice still above their price). Once again they started selling like crazy. By the time we found all the stock and confirmed the deal we sold everything including what we bought into stock. I really don't think it's unreasonable for IT resellers to make 5-10% and if you think it is then there's just something not right, because even high volume grocers like Coles and Woolies have higher markups and they generally work on pretty slim margins. Especially considering guys like Myer, HN and other retailers mark things up like 50% and more. How do u think they manage their 30% off sales?

2% is not a sustainable markup in any industry and in the end it's actually not a good thing for the industry, because it basically means customers get jack shit service (and this does seem to be a common complaint about IT resellers, especially online ones). But how can you provide any kind of service with a 2% markup, you cant! Its much like the milk price wars... Might save you a little in the short term, but not good for anyone in the long term!

In fact, it actually might end up as a loss for (the other company) when you consider all the time they spend sorting through all the orders they can't fill and process all the refunds.

Ultimately, the main consideration for us when buying the stock was to make sure we actually secured the stock for our customers and didn't just sell and then couldn't deliver.

Anyways, something to cheer some people up...

http://www.megabuy.com.au/images/megabuy-hp-microservers.jpg
    http://www.megabuy.com.au/images/megabuy-hp-microservers2.jpg

If you've bought one from MegaBuy one of the boxes in the picture could be yours :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2011
  2. danyell

danyell Member

It was Megabuy snapping up every server they could get hold of that meant purchasers who went through the other mob missed out, not the initial low-margin pricing.

You guys swooped on an opportunity to price gouge, thus the $380 pricing that lasted a short while... and then it seems you thought better of it given the negative feedback and the likelihood that you wouldn't move the stock at that price.

Thanks for that. Your tactics meant that my own order was cancelled elsewhere and I'm left with a 'missed out' sour-taste, but that will pass. The knowledge I've gained about your business practices and the smug look on your face in the photo with your 'wall of servers' (narcissistic, much?) will hang around a bit longer, reminding me to never purchase from your outfit.

3. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

I'm actually a semi-regular customer of Megabuy for work (hey... toner is cheap there), but the handling of the aftermath and playing the blame game screams non-professionalism of small business, which has probably put a dampener on what should have been a great deal for your customers and more importantly the reputation of Megabuy on a very highly ranked site.

A simple "Sorry guys, every last HP Microserver we have has been sold. Those that missed out will be refunded in full and congratulations to those who ordered early." Would have probably kept everyone happy.

But yeah, you cant complain that there's competition. That's like Harvey Norman complaining about $5 HDMI cables when they try to retail them for $25 in store. For all you know, there could be a rebate agreement for selling a certain quantity which makes wholesale price that you buy it for less meaningful.

4. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

+1

the way this has been handled is less than professional, I do agree that a 2% margin is well low, but at the same time, at times businesses can choose to put whatever margin they want on the item. a block of chocolate is more expensive at one supermarket than the other, no need to start a price war.

that's as simple as an update, on the spot, and not a retroactively applied rationing of the stocks because you oversold, if you ran out, just don't sell anymore. I don't see the supplier rationing the products out and giving other retailers stock because they were selling like no tomorrow.

5. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Remember the vendor verdicts rules, guys. MegaBuy are here and explaining their side of things but that doesn't mean you can scream and rage about them or the other vendors involved. Stick to the facts and don't make it personal, ta.

6. wleu

wleu Member

Don't close the thread!

I'm going to buy an unRAID Server Plus license.

Anyone want to split the 2-pack with me?

7. mouth

mouth Member

What configuration with VMWare Hypervisor and RAID are ppl following?

I've got 8Gb RAM and 4 x 2TB Hitachi's SATA III in the unit.

Have ordered a HP P410 RAID card (for the RAID 5 and full SATA III speeds), so am just playing/experiencing the VMWare Hypervisor until that arrives.

With the RAID5 that will give me around 5.8TB of space, so I'm thinking of using 5TB for a FreeNAS virtual machine for disk storage, and the remaining 800GB left for a few other VM's, such as Ubuntu and an appliance or 3.

Would be interested in hearing how ours are configuring and setting up theirs, particularly if you'll be using the barbones VMWare Hypervisor as a host OS.

8. dukkie

dukkie Member

Unfortunately that card only supports SATAII (3Gb/s) speeds going off the product page HERE. Only SAS drives operate at (6Gb/s)

9. scrad

scrad Member

pretty much sums up my thoughts on the whole thing, especially on the photos of the wall of servers.

10. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

NickES

Do your self a favor, be quiet and let it be.
    People are already disgusted at what has been said and have an issue with how you "boasted" about your practices.

BTW thanks to the admin that deleted my original post, i thought it was fitting.

11. rob72

rob72 New Member

Same same, but without the RAID card. I can't justify the cost of HP's RAID5 card, nor the cost (in terms of drives) of doing RAID1 on a cheaper card.

It would be nice to find a decent sub $100 RAID card that is supported by ESXi and does RAID5, but I guess there will be a lot of us looking for the same thing in the next few months.

12. akashra

akashra Member

Nick, bitching about the margins you have to compete with just appears sour. It's the industry you're in, and the way the industry has become. If you don't like it, find another industry to resell in to, or don't try to compete on those products, simple.

13. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

Ditto..

The huge price jump in the middle of the frenzy was just crazy (IMO)..

I do agree a price point around $185-$190 would have been fine, if the units were around $160 cost..

Enough of a margin to make it all worth while.

The greed of some of the resellers is nothing compared to the idiocy of some of the buyers, many in this forum who had to snap up 4-6 of these units without any idea how they might use them, just because they greedily saw some bargain..

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  14. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

Still.. I guess it's a great demonstration of capitalism at work.

15. Soandso

Soandso Member

Had the "unnamed" retailer lifted prices along with MegaBuy's intentions it would have been bordering the lines of price fixing.

16. blue_panther9_9

blue_panther9_9 Member

Megabuy and any other online they are there to make business and make profits. They are not charity company. In the business side, selling item at 3% more than the cost is definitely dumb for any company. But it keeps us(customer) happy.

We can complain whatever we want, or buy it overseas if cheaper. Be grateful that some of us able to buy it cheaply, suck it up if u missed the deal is not the end of the world.:p but I might put complain for people who bought the amount more than they need.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  17. Blinky

Blinky Member

Can someone tell me what Temps your HDDs are running at and if you have a power meter, what wattage it is using for X amount of drives please?

18. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

well yes, competition driving prices lower ..

hooray for capitalism

19. gr8r-x

gr8r-x Member

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1193-page5.html

RE: MegaBuy - you people have to realise that they are a reseller, and their #1 priority is to stay in business. If that involves buying up stock that is being off-sold by another reseller for stupid low prices, then so be it.

You should all just be happy that they didn't buy up all the stock *AND* price it @ 10-20% margin... Bunch of stooges.

20. Goonit

Goonit Member

Anyone who bought more than one and may wish to part with it, can you give me a PM..?

Any chance these will drop in price again?