1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Small NAS = HP Micro Server

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Stanza, Sep 21, 2010.

1. RoSWeLL

RoSWeLL Member

yep it must be the mite screen as I know the size of the flyscreen holes you are talking about and it's a lot finer than that. I got mine from bunnings, does a good job.

2. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Tip #1 : If you can read you can install Solaris 11 + napp-it. Really, its shit easy.
    Tip #2 : Don't use IE. Use something good. I'm a Chrome man myself, but FireFox or Opera are just as good.

3. fido666

fido666 Member

I have found chux wipes cut into squares of a suitable size and held in place with masking tape do an excellant job on my PCs. When they get dirty just make a new one, too cheap to worry about rinse and recycle.

Can't say how well they would work on the HP because I didn't get one, the principle is the same though.

4. kingwang26

kingwang26 Member

Yea mate, Its PC LOAD LETTER.

The HP Printer is back and coming to eat you

HAHAHAHHA

5. Crash Dummy

Crash Dummy Member

I am very disappointed also. I ordered mine from a Sydney CBD retailer on the 4th of May, Only today have they been straight with me and told me they can't get any. I lost my shit and went off at them because 2 days prior they said they'd have it for me and that their inaction has caused me to miss out.

So if anyone has a spare one they'd like to sell send me a PM please unless they can be bought somewhere still.

Thanks!

6. rugger

rugger Member

Is the microserver supposed to come with a SATA cable for the optical drive?

7. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

No it's not.

8. Azrael

Azrael Member

Where does it plug in, i havnt had much of a chance to look at mine sofar admittedly.

Oh and i assume the 2.5" drive bay that people are referring to is the bit between the 5.25 and the 3.5" caddies?

9. Gierke

Gierke Member

FML. I'm struggling to break 7MB/s over a gigabit network to another PC with an SSD - my HP is running server 2008 R2 - will be trying out Suse in the morning :(

10. peterz

peterz Member

Hit up ZFS mate, 100mb/sec here!

11. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Well, that's slow but if you are only using the 250GB drive that came with it, then you won't achieve full gigabit speeds anyway.

Using mdadm RAID5 with four drives under Ubuntu Linux, I've managed to pull 117MB/s so far copying a file to another RAID5 machine.

12. MetalPhreak

MetalPhreak Member

7MB/s is slow even with the OS on the 250gb drive as the source :\ Must be something wrong with the install somewhere (NIC drivers etc).

13. NoCarrier

NoCarrier Member

What's your power consumption like on full bays?
    Anyone with PCIE GPU for HTPC setup care to share their power usage as well?

14. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

I measured 118 watts on startup, settling to 63 watts (0.25 amps) whilst my system was striping the RAID5 members (4 disks). No other activity.

Post-striping, it's idling at 55 watts (0.22 amps). In the last 6 hours, it has consumed 0.3 Kwh of energy at this stage of idle, costing me approximately 5 cents.

15. smackus

smackus Member

hey mate, what sort of ram did you use?

my Win Server 2008 r2 chucked a fit and wouldn't boot if I use non-ecc PC3 10600 ram (corsair & kingston)

16. GoofyHSK

GoofyHSK Bracket Mastah

there's no 2.5 spot pre made
    if you fix the silly backplane power leads you could probably fit it between hdds and odd spot -- http://www.tenniswood.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/IMG_3351.jpg

sata port is next to battery, sas>battery>sata
    -- http://www.tenniswood.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/IMG_3355.jpg

17. wleu

wleu Member

I don't have a USB keyboard and the microserver doesn't have a PS/2 port so I'm stuck.

Doh!

18. MetalPhreak

MetalPhreak Member

I have about 30 in a box if you want to drive to my house :lol:

19. Blinky

Blinky Member

Hey real world figures! which surprise surprise don't line up with the review stuff.
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1193-page5.html
    Kinda why I asked back here: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=13184754&postcount=1197

Could somebody please post some hdd temps from smart data? Those plastic caddies and the confined space has got to add something to the drive temp.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2011
  20. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

I got an email today from grays, saying "HP clearance sale"
    I was excited to the point when I realised it was only desktops and laptops :(