1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Small NAS = HP Micro Server

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Stanza, Sep 21, 2010.

1. rmuser

rmuser Member

Depends what sort of RAID... WD greens are "advanced format" and therefore you need to ensure any partitions are aligned at 4k boundaries. If you are using mdadm you can avoid this by using the whole HDD as a member of the array, I believe.

If you are using a proper hw raid card I believe "greens" can cause problems with degraded arrays due to their power saving...

2. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Hardware off the motherboard...
    Same for WD and Seagate drives I presume?

edit:
    Just did some research and apparently there is an app to turn on TLER for WD drives which may fix the issue?

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  3. rugger

rugger Member

Alternatively, when using fdisk to partition the green drives, you simply turn dos compatibility off (c) and change to sector mode (u). In this mode, fdisk will place the first partition at the 1mb mark (2048 sectors in) and there will be no problems with mdadm,

You can also use autodetect raid partitions, which allows your raid array to be assembled during kernel boot. This lets you put the root partition on your RAID-5 partition. Then all you need outside of raid is a USB key to store your kernel on.

4. Brutus the III

Brutus the III Member

I used WHS v1 with drive extender on mine, it works a treat doesn't care what size drive.

You can add and remove drives when you want.

Why did MS drop support for DE I would never know?

5. rugger

rugger Member

It only works for some drives ... in particular, it doesn't work for any of the newer WD green drives. (this is so WD can continue charging an arm and a leg for the so called raid version of these drives, which are really the same drive just with slightly different firmware)

I'd consider TLER important for business RAID use where real high avaliability is desired. In the home space, you can get away without using TLER, as TLER really only comes into effect when a drive starts breaking down. If your drive is breaking down, you power down the server and replace the drive, not rely on features like TLER to keep you going until you get a more catastrophic failure.

6. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

I did a lot of that research a while back TLER can no longer be changed as per below.

7. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

DE already had data integrity problems, before PP1 there were major problems with the system, they tried to avoid it in veil by re writing DE, but that still didn't work so they removed it.

8. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

so there is basically no way to run two of the cheaper drives in RAID using the onboard RAID controller?

Is software RAID via Windows 7 an option that will work?

9. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Its primarily a problem with hardware raid on some controllers.

With WD drives, the best you can do is change the powersaving headpark to something more than 8 seconds and align the partitions.

TLER is not supported at all on modern green drives and should not be an issue until the drive starts to die anyway.

10. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

so will i have drives disappearing if I use the on board RAID controller with seagate/WD drives?

How about Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000?
    Same issue?

11. Domokun

Domokun Member

Has anyone had dramas with the time in the BIOS/CMOS changing constantly? I have reset it three times manually, but it keeps changing. I don't know if FreeNAS is setting it, but even then FreeNAS is set to the right time zone.

12. rmuser

rmuser Member

Losing other BIOS settings? Could be a dud CMOS battery.

13. Kaddude

Kaddude Member

Re: the guy selling on eBay, a US site [www.provantage.com] have it in stock and seem to ship to Australia. Adding one to their cart and selecting Australia as the destination comes to a price of $US405.91 [$US310.96 for the server and $US94.95 for the freight]. This is about $AUS384. I note it also says that shipping to Australia would be "within 4 business days to major cities". Probably quicker than the eBay guy!

14. OP
    OP
    Stanza

Stanza Member

On Linux systems, you have a choice of keeping the hardware clock in UTC/GMT time or local time. The preferred option is to keep it in UTC because then daylight savings can be automatically accounted for. The only disadvantage with keeping the hardware clock in UTC is that if you dual boot with an operating system (such as DOS) that expects the hardware clock to be set to local time, the time will always be wrong in that operating system.

;)

15. MaximusSmurf

MaximusSmurf Member

Just offered $200, denied, then $220.00, denied. Sent an email to see what he wants to sell one for.

16. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

OVER 9000

he wishes.

17. Danthemanz

Danthemanz Old School Admin

I got mine up and running with a 6gb/s sas adaptor, yes the hotswap bay supports sas.
    Currently booting 2008 r2 on a 15k sas drive :thumbup:

Played around with Nexenta before that, very impressed with it but in all honesty I don't need it in my home, smb is more than enough to backup my main server...:p

18. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

but killing a bird with a stone isn't fun, killing a bird with a laser guided missile is much more interesting :D

19. Domokun

Domokun Member

I don't understand. Is it affecting the BIOS/CMOS time display? The FreeNAS GUI displays the correct time (under "System Information") with the timezone set to "Australia/Sydney" with the following FTP servers:

0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org iburst maxpoll 9
    1.freebsd.pool.ntp.org iburst maxpoll 9
    2.freebsd.pool.ntp.org iburst maxpoll 9

I just don't know why the BIOS/CMOS isn't maintaining the correct time.

20. Brutus the III

Brutus the III Member

9000 ??:confused: